Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Free Press's Tom Walsh does a hit piece on the UAW. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hardline.wordpress.com/ 2007/02/25/response-to-tom-wal shs-article-in-the-detroit-fre e-press/

and Yes... it did torque me off, in a big way.

-HL

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Conservative bias press" now that is funny.

Nevermind the fact that a majority of news people vote democratic.

Hardliner

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@croweblack

It's obvious the bias in the article. if you can't see it, I'm sorry.

-HL

Croweblack

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one guy does not equal a "conservative bias press"

Also he is actually giving some very helpful hints for the union to survive.

I got one more: get rid of the jobs bank!

The union can cover up the naps at work, lack of quality and overpaying high school graduates but that jobs bank thing makes even extreme lefties shake their head.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press and News will never forgive the UAW leadership for supporting the newspaper strikers from 1995 to 2001. Never, ever forgive.

Liberal bias my aching ass.

go Hardliner!

Hardliner

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Oldredfordette

I call 'em as I see 'em.

:-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the article's author. The UAW has an excellent product to sell. Living wages, affordable medical insurance, protection from bosses that use favoritism as a measuring stick for making arbitrary decisions, a voice when your company wants to outsource your job to a third world country. The UAW needs to get better at playing the PR game. All though Kudos goes to them for recently spotlighting via a lawsuit the actions of DURA giving thier execs raises while they send work to Mexico.

Croweblack

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the people that always vote democratic, support democratic candidates and have liberal views about all social issues, have some sort of anti-union conspiracy that permeates the newsroom?

Face it the Union is dying and at least half the blame is because of the UAW.

In this economy, a guy that barely graduates high school should not be able to go talk to uncle jimmy and start earning 30$ an hour.

pulse is low right now and I am guessing in 20 years it will be flat lined.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW Local 245 here!

Sure there's flaws-but what organization dosen't have em'?

I worked myself up by my bootstraps, and the Union has supported me. <- No Uncle Jimmy here. "It aids those who seek to better themselves...

Plus free Beer at Union Meetings! Nice perk!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Walsh is not a member of Guild 22, the union that represents the News and Freep editorial members. And that's his choice, of course, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that could indicate a certain non-union bias, Rhymeswithrawk...

Hardliner

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follow up Piece... yes, I did change the name of my blog... some poeple were getting cornfused.

http://hardline.wordpress.com/ 2007/02/26/tom-walsh-responds- to-my-e-mail/

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a hit piece? It was like 4 paragraphs and not very incendiary. Sensitive? Yokich was mentioned once, and it didn't really seem to me like he was "taking a shot" at a dead man. Christ, lighten up.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep is the most liberal paper we have...yup...its just a matter of time now...we will all have $8.00 a hr jobs and driving a new Chinese Guy Kow SE that we bought for 5K from our local dealer....

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Focusonthed, calling this a "hit piece" is a bit extreme. Tom Walsh's article basically says the UAW has had a bad relationship with the press in recent years, but he is somewhat complementary of the UAW for not being "rigid and inflexible" or "greedy", so there's some balance there. For some real hit pieces, see the reader comments on the freep site.

Also Hardliner, I'm not sure your "Hardliner" username on DYes fits too well with your "Centered Moderate" blog page.

Hardliner

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Dougw

It was the former name of my blog, but some people were getting cornfused. So, I changed the name of he blog... twice... It's now "The Populist Moderate". and that It will say forever. I would like to get it out on a domain address. I do take donations. if you go look around, you shall find the link. :-)

It sucks being unemployed. :-(

-Me

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, gotcha.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.