Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit ranks worst in environmental study « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT -- Detroit ranks the worst in the nation overall in 200 environmental, health and quality of life indicators when stacked up against 71 other cities, according to a study released Thursday by the environmental group Earth Day Network.

Issued by a Washington-based group promoting environmental citizenship, the report is lauded as the first of its kind because of the magnitude of indicators analyzed and the broadened definition of environment to include health, poverty, education and other quality-of-life issues.

Detroit, for instance, ranked among the nation's worst for its parks and recreation opportunities, global warming, human and public health, and quality-of-life issues, such as sprawl, transportation, income, education, housing, cost of living, safety and security.

Detroit also ranked third-worst in the nation because one-quarter of its population is considered susceptible to the negative effects of environmental change.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070223/METRO /702230350

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old news.

scroll down

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate these types of reports they all come to different conclusions. I really hate the standard of health for cities now is a Men's Health analysis every year you hear about that dumb report. I bet there are 20 of these types of reports all with different conclusions. This is an idustrial city I think we all know there are pollution problems.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um... how can cost of living be so bad here... has anyone tried to buy a house in say Chicago, New York, San Francisco or Boston. There's where you have cost of living issues.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2960
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, try factoring insurance into the equation.

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus if you buy a place in those cities it will rapidly increase in value. Also, you pay high taxes in them too, but get a higher return on them in services.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUH.

Is anyone really surprised??

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit, for instance, ranked among the nation's worst for its parks and recreation opportunities, global warming, human and public health, and quality-of-life issues, such as sprawl, transportation, income, education, housing, cost of living, safety and security.

Kind of sounds like this study has very little to do with pollution, which is what I think of when I hear "environmental study". Not that scoring low on other quality-of-life issues is a good thing, but I thought that in more specific studies on pollution (air quality, water quality, etc) that Detroit was fairly average when compared to other large metro areas.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This study was previously covered here: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/94847.html?1172276852

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit, for instance, ranked among the nation's worst for its parks and recreation opportunities

Really? Sounds like a bullshit article to me.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sort of report pleases me, because it helps to reinforce the safety of my investment south of Eight Mile. Land speculators are not likely to try and push me off my land anytime soon.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953-- I don't understand your post. Land speculators can't "push you off" your land. If you don't want to sell, you don't have to.

And since Michigan overturned the Poletown decision in the past couple of years, private land can't be taken for private use unless the owner voluntarily sells.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.