Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Dissed at GameWorks! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flappervamp
Username: Flappervamp

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a party at GameWorks Saturday night and saw something that floored me. There's a motorcycle video game where you actually sit on a motorcycle-like contraption and "drive" on a simulated track. The game had three levels - the most difficult being "Motor City". You ride through the streets of Detroit where all the buildings are abandoned and on fire while people shoot at you.

I was horrified!! This is the image that suburban kids (and adults) see of Detroit?! And insulting Detroit is so acceptable that this is considered fun?! Disgusting! The city ought to sue.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEW S01/702270405

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. I'm a big fan of video games, but this is new.I got to see this for my self.
In the video game,"Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition",
Detroit is one of the three cities you'll be racing in.The buildings in the game does look kinda vacant and bunch up because they can't make it a large city like it is in real life.
Hey Flappervamp. This motorcycle game that you said about "Motor City' is one of the race tracks,did they have familiar buildings on the game like The RenCen,Penobscot,Dime,etc.??

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds realistic to me. Keeping it re-al.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just tellin' it like it is:

Panic In Detroit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Nl4Go7pDwp8

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It probably would have been a crappy game, had the buildings been well maintained and the pedestrians friendly.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've played that game. It's fun. It's just a game. Maybe Miami should sue for how it's portrayed in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Nothing but gangbangers and drug dealers everywhere!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, in all fairness to the game creators, Detroit does have a lot of abandoned buildings, many that have been set on fire intentionally in neighborhoods where people get shot at all the f*cking time...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11330
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is CL in the game?

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but there's a recurring obstacle on level 7 where a drunk white guy walks down the middle of the street making eye contact with everyone. You should always swerve left down an alleyway to avoid him but watch out as there are two more hidden obstacles at the next level (two dobermans jump out of a backyard in the alley) and on Level 9 he starts shooting his Glock at you when you go by...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a horrible news story. My gramma lived on littlefield a long time ago. If anything instead of ignoring that and down playing it schools should show have all young children starting at grade 4 read that, maybe that will pour cold water on the perceived lifestyle snoop dog glorifies for the brutal, heartless, and homicidal way of life bangin' really is.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban area appears more violent in video game than in real life!

Our city has more pressing problems. This reminds me of when I heard someone complaining that the U.S. Troops were swearing at Iraqi kids.

Flappervamp

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, in all fairness to the game creators, Detroit does have a lot of abandoned buildings, many that have been set on fire intentionally in neighborhoods where people get shot at all the f*cking time..."

TheJesus, are you kidding me?? In all fairness to the game creators? The twenty-first century gods? I may be new to this site, but from all the posts I read I believed this to be a group that wanted positive things for the city. So as long as there's still bad things that happen, we should laugh at the world making fun of us? Count me out.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This game seems kind of cool. Some of you people need to relax. It's a video-game.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an ex videogame addict I herby proclaim that every game exaggerates.

Why the hell would people play it if it was just like real life.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get me a fucking break, where's your outrage over something IMPORTANT like the execution of two kids or DPS irresponsible spending?. A video game not portraying us in fair manner is hardly an issue getting worked up over.

(Message edited by eric on February 28, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I may be new to this site, but from all the posts I read I believed this to be a group that wanted positive things for the city"

I used to think so too but I am not so sure anymore at least not everyone.

Flappervamp

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, my point was not to belabor the sins of video gaming or question their "reality". I think we all can agree that Detroit has an image problem. I still have people tell me that we don't get our trash picked up & that we set fire to the city every Devil's Night - people who live right here but never cross 8 Mile! This game perpetuates a stereotype that we can't afford. It's not okay. No, it's not on the same level as Aids or world hunger, but it is still not okay.

And all of you waving those poor dead kids around - give it a rest. You're doing the same thing the game is - keeping the bad stories in the news so you can say "See, I told you Detroit was bad." Or "See, terrible things happen there." The children of Detroit are all in trouble, whether they are shot and killed now or merely suffering the slow death of no education, no family structure, poor role models, etc. Pop culture has a huge affect on real life. If we really cared we would stop accepting the "gangster lifestyle" as some kind of protected cultural diversity. It is not okay. In games, music, fashion, whatever - it is not okay.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are places where you can drive around and see countless empty buildings.....so the game show lots of empty building its not a lie. It will take alot of work and change to get rid of that image of Detroit until then this sort of image will persist in popular culture. Given Detroits condition I dont see why people are surprised when this sort of thing happens

Thejesus

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"TheJesus, are you kidding me?? In all fairness to the game creators? The twenty-first century gods? I may be new to this site, but from all the posts I read I believed this to be a group that wanted positive things for the city. So as long as there's still bad things that happen, we should laugh at the world making fun of us? Count me out."

Uh, yeah, that's what I was saying...

::rolls eyes at ridiculousness of noob's post::

Thejesus

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pop culture has a huge affect on real life. If we really cared we would stop accepting the "gangster lifestyle" as some kind of protected cultural diversity. It is not okay. In games, music, fashion, whatever - it is not okay."

No one is telling you to be OK with it...be pissed off about it if you want to...but the image people have of Detroit stems from the behaviors of its residents...if you want to change the image of Detroit, then you'll have to do it from the inside out...you can't use lawsuits to force people to ignore what they see on the news and when the drive though the city....

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno ... I live in Downtown Detroit (Cass & Bagley) for 3.5 years and I only got mugged once. For the most part, the city was empty. There was no one around to rob or shoot me. Weekends I'd hardly even see a car go by. JUst your occasional homeless walking the streets.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6180
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in Downtown Detroit (Cass & Bagley) for 3.5 years and I only got mugged once.

You don't see a problem with that? Once is ok, if it was twice it's not ok?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it funny that a co worker who used to live at 7 and john R found it normal to keep a gun by his door and under his bed!

Thejesus

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I live in Downtown Detroit (Cass & Bagley) for 3.5 years and I only got mugged once."

lol...statements like the one above make me wonder if people in the city will ever truly understand why the suburbs exist and why the city has such difficulty getting suburbanites to want to live there...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.