Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » St.Clare Montefalco Alumni? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
Anyone out there from St.Clare parish? i was there from 62-70.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing Mike Peplowski's HUGE shoe from the eighth grade in the trophy case outside the gym at St. Clare.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen to that Drankin! It was a size 18 or something crazy like that.

How about the tunnel between the main building and the church...fun but sometimes creepy!
Falcon 1986 - 1995

Pgn421

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i remember the tunnel

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When our Class of '71 had a reunion in November 2005, we were invited to attend All-School Mass on the Tuesday before. Afterwards we got a tour of the school, including a walk through the tunnel between the church and the school. Although the tunnel was much cleaner than I remembered, it was still so familiar:

SC_Tunnel

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of '85. A few years ago I had a chance to walk the hallways there again -- a lot smaller than I remembered!

Drankin21:
"I remember seeing Mike Peplowski's HUGE shoe from the eighth grade in the trophy case outside the gym at St. Clare."

Mike was in my class. He was a BIG guy! He had trouble fitting into some of the desks. We all knew he'd make it big in basketball. After Michigan State, he played in the NBA for a few years.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was Mike Peplowski's babysitter! His family lived two doors up from us on Three Mile Drive. When I was in 8th grade or so, I started babysitting him and his older brother Patrick. My sister and brother also babysat for them.

When we were at St. Clare for the reunion, I took this photo of "the shoe":

MikePeplowskiShoe

St. Clare has cultivated a number of professional athletes! Here's the sign as of Nov. 2005:
StClare_ProAthletes

When I was discussing the list with my brother Mike (St. Clare '73), he immediately noted that a name was missing! Chris Godfrey! After St. Clare, Chris played football for DeLaSalle and the University of Michigan, and then, after being signed and cut by several teams, played for the New York Giants the year they won the Super Bowl!
I notified the school and they checked it out, and added Chris Godfrey to the list last September.

It has been said that St. Clare is the only elementary school in the country to have had three NBA players among its alumni! I don't know if this is still the case, but I haven't heard that this mark has been surpassed by any other school.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeBusschere also played MLB for the Chicago White Sox.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Taj920! I had no idea that Dave played pro baseball.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beyond the professional athletes that have graduated from St. Clare, are there other notables that we should recognize from among our alumni?

I know of two published authors: Kevin Boyle ('74) who won the 2004 National Book Award for "Arc of Justice," and Ellen Slezak ('72) who has had a book of short stories and a novel published by Hyperion (http://www.hyperionbooks.com/a uthor.asp?AUTH_ID=Slezak).

Any other authors? What about musicians, actors, politicians???

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris Godfrey also has another championship in professional football besides the Super Bowl. He was a member of our own Michigan Panthers of the USFL in 1983. The most interesting thing about Chris is that he was a star Defensive lineman at UM and was a offensive tackle in the pros. You dont see that very often.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't attend but friends did, know the Blackwell family? They all went on to Notre Dame, er, well except Angie who went on to Regina

Kathleen

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp: Here's how Chris Godfrey spends time these days, in addition to be a husband and father and a lawyer: http://www.lifeathletes.org/00 08/welcome.asp

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer...I'm friends with the Blackwell's from St. Clare...and Notre Dame/Regina as well.

Actually, Ben Blackwell would be an answer to Kathleen's question about what musicians went to St. Clare. Ben's done pretty well in the Dirtbombs and has quite a famous uncle as well.

I run into former Falcons all the time. Much more than I run into Saddlelites. St. Clare definitely produced some cool folks!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's Ben Blackwell's famous uncle?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Clare alum (class of '73) Bob Conway featured in a Detroit News sports article about refereeing "March Madness" at the high school level: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/S PORTS05/703130351/1004/SPORTS

I believe Bob is the current Athletic Director at St. Clare.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben's uncle is Jack Gillis, better known as his stage name Jack White, as in Stripes.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Homer! Would not have guessed that, but not surprised.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be glad your alma mater is still open and thriving.

St. Matt's is long gone.
As are all my old friends and neighbors.

You Grosse Pointers ... I tell ya.
Count your blessings.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Be glad your alma mater is still open and thriving.

St. Matt's is long gone.
As are all my old friends and neighbors"

Well at least St. Matthews still does function as a Catholic Church.

St. David (Outer Drive and Gratiot) is a thing of the past as a Catholic Parish. St.David High School became Rosa Parks Middle School. The parishioners who were asked to "donate" funds for that project 50 odd years ago certainly didn't imagine how the neighborhood would change over the years.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another St. Clare Alum in today's Detroit News:

M.D.'s new career is just what the doctor ordered

"For some people, slogging through the years of education and training it takes to become a doctor is the end of a long career journey.

For J. Carlos Borrego [St. Clare '72] it was just the beginning.

"At some point I saw myself as being at a peak in my career in medicine, and I kind of thought, 'Now what?'" the 48-year-old Grosse Pointe Park resident explains.

The answer was a journey through two new careers before ultimately running his family's health club in Grosse Pointe, a career that not only puts all of his business and professional skills to use, but one that he loves, too. ..."

Full article at: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070326/B IZ02/703260337/1001/BIZ

Kathleen

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Mrs. Minkwic for your first grade teacher? Her son Paul attended St. Clare, Class of '72, I think.

Sad news...she passed away last November at the age of 75.

You can still access her Visitation page (with photo) at: http://www.wasikfuneralhome.co m/. Click on Visitations and search for Minkwic.

Pgn421

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had her! How are you Kathleen? I just got back from Florida. Think i should have stayed longer! PGN421

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IS this at St. Claire?
application/octet-streamParducci at St. Claire
CP at StClaire (9.8 k)

If so, it's a rare non-architectural Parducci. eeeeeeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pgn421: Welcome home!!

Hi Carptrash!! Yes, that statue is at St. Clare; I took photos a couple years back when documenting details around the church. Note the spelling: St. Clare of Montefalco.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of St. Clare's athlete alums is written up in today's Detroit News. Mike Peplowski ('84, De La Salle '88, MSU '92) was featured in an article with his best friend and former MSU teammate Matt Steigenga. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070407/S PORTS0202/704070389/1004/SPORT S

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.