Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sander's Ice Cream Downtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the old Sander's ice cream and candy joint, specifically the downtown Detroit location. I think it closed in the 1980s?

Anyone have an address or know what building it was located in? I see that they have reopened several suburban locations in the last few years but nothing on their website about the old stores. Perhaps if they are the same company they'll reopen one downtown, i dunno.

I apologize if it's not the same place, if so my mistake. Could this be similar to when whoever bought Stroh's beer back in the day started selling the current cheaper version of the brew?

Any pics of the old shop, info on location or history would be appreciated.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that we've discussed this topic before: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/82657.html

And here's a Detroit News article providing some history of Sanders: http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=192&categ ory=life

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was next door to Hughes & Hatcher. I might be wrong, but there was/is some talk about Sanders coming back Downtown. Speaking of which, the old Sanders on Gratiot & 7 Mile is still standing and is on good condition.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, the original Alinosi's, which I believe was on East McNichols (but correct me if I'm wrong) was closed during the 1970s but several years ago, late 1990s I think, they opened for the holiday season and it was tres weird. The shop looked like it had closed the previous weekend, not twenty-some-odd years prior.

Does Alinosi's still have a retail outlet on one of the Macks in one of the Grosse Pointes? I haven't been down there in a while. Addictive stuff; highest butterfat content imaginable. (If you're going to ruin your health with ice cream you might as well eat the best ice cream.)

The original Buddy's, of course, is still awesome as ever at East McNichols and Conant. Hie your ass down there for some deep-dish if you haven't been in a while. The suburban Buddy's locations are good but there's something not quite the same about the pizza.

The Professor likes to give final exams to graduate students at the original Buddy's every now and then. The fellows give him a decent deal for the use of the place. Of course we order pizza and beverages; we don't want the good folks at Buddy's to starve.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4912
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

professorscott guilty as hell for threadjacking.
Great info. but on the back of a Sanders Hot Fudge Puff.
jjaba, Forum Police Capt., LOL.

BTW, Sanders was across the street from Hudsons on the Westside of Woodward Ave.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, c'mon, Jj, it was only a slight threadjacking. I was in the same zip code as the original discussion.

Still, if guilty, I will pay the $50 plus time served, as was usually required on Night Court.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I remember it well - the Sanders downtown. My fav. lunch was the Chicken Salad Sandwich and a Cream Puff Hot Fudge. Hope they open a store downtown. I imagine that the suburban stores are doing OK business.

(Message edited by nanska on February 28, 2007)

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alinosi's was open in the mid-80s...

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking about the downtown location that was somewhere near the Penobscot? I know there was one there. It was still there when I left the Penob in '91.

There was also a Sander's located in the Taylortown mall EONS ago.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sander's also had a shop in the lobby of the Ford Building. I am going back to maybe sometime in the 70's, 80's.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sanders store on Griswold in the Ford Building was operating into the late 80's and, I believe, the early 90's before it became a little party store selling sandwiches. Not sure what occupies that space now.

Queensfinest

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So there was one on Griswold in the Ford Building and one on Woodward where a new cell phone store went in recently, next to Hughes and Hatcher? Does this sound about right? Any more in the CBD, especially during the 1980s? Thanks.

Cliff19336
Username: Cliff19336

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure but there's a little candy and ice cream shop on Kelly just north of 8 Mile that sells Alinosi's candy. I think its called J Stryka. If its not Alinosi's its still darn good.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is Alinosi's on Mack between 7 and 8 mile.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only picture I can find of Woodward showing the Sanders store.

Bagley 1

Sanders is the fist building on the left, with the gray front.
Nice shot of the Bagley Fountain and Hudson's

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to take my son to Alinosi's until he was about three years old. They closed shortly after. He is now 27. By doing the math, Alinosi's closed about 1983.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually went to the Sander's in (God Forbid)Grosse Point. It didn't taste nothing like it dd when I was a young buck.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone know that Sanders and Morley has merged? I remember Morley had an HQ on McNichols and Gunston area (around 1980s), then Eastpointe, and also in Clinton Twp.. I didn't know about the merger until I recently visited the Sanders in Grosse Pointe. I passed by the old Sanders @ G-7 earlier today-and like I said previously, it looks like it's in good shape-I wouldn't be surprised if they reopened it. BTW, They boarded up the Walgreens out there while I was driving in that area!

Psip

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found another photo of the Downtown Sanders store, unfortunately after it closed.
Sanders

Queensfinest

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. Thanks for the photos. This is one of the buildings that I suspected they were located in. Has something else moved into this spot though, other than this beauty supply place?

Psip

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has all been torn down, for.....you guessed it, a parking structure, albeit a nice one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.