Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Exploring Suggestions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am from the Metro Detroit area, although live in chitcity presently and have done my best to see the most visible areas of the city ie. brush, greektown, corktown, midtown tourist attractions, Belle Isle, Indian Village, Mexican town, Boston Edison etc. Anyone want to give some suggestions about less known areas in the city whether up and coming or kindof on the fringes that would be interesting to explore?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi. This off the wall, but look at Old Redford, just west of Lahser and then south of Grand River. I think this was a small town that was swallowed up by Detroit a long time ago. The streets twist and turn, like a knot or a nail that has has been swallowed up by a growing tree. For dessert you shop hit Grandlawn Cemetary - excellent for sitting and thinking.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray is fun to explore.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like exploring around the river on the far east side

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Historic Fort Wayne at the foot of Livernois on the Detroit River. It's an 1840s-era brick "star" fort like the kind you would associate with the Civil War. There was a major Army post here until shortly after Vietnam. It is an amazing place with spectacular views of the city. It's closed to the public most of the time, but will be open for a flea market April 21 - 22.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palm Park or Indian Village for historic homes. Pewabic Pottery is a hidden gem. If you want to get a different perspective of the city then take the Diamond Jack tour boat. Mexican Town is an area which is rebounding and worth exploring. Buy a fresh bag of tamales and a jar of salse for some cheap eats.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a good pair of tennis shoes a camera and walk all over downtown. Do some research first of the buildings and history. Find things like the Michigan theater and explore, it really is cool.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that one I did that last week!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.