Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Stroh's ice cream plant will close « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's ice cream plant will close

Work at the Detroit facility moves to Illinois in April; 29 people are slated to lose their jobs.

Detroit News staff

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/B IZ/702280402

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 676
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing from the story they're moving the workers to their distribution plant? In any case, it's sad to see another long-standing staple of the city move for whatever the reason.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a dagger. There's always symbolism because it's Stroh's, plus it was the last holdout of that family industry, remaining in the same neighborhood until the very end. And, it's more jobs lost.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would somebody please cut us some slack?! Sheesh.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what's going to happen to the building... Leland Lofts back right up to it, so the future of this site is of particular interest to me (I can hear the trucks all the time from my place) I thought I heard somewhere that it was rezoned as residential, but that memory is fuzzy at best.

(Message edited by Spitty on February 28, 2007)

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That memory was just confirmed by the developer of Leland Lofts in an email. That was rezoned as residential for future developments, so that might turn into an interesting place for new housing. I wonder how long before something else is built there.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11363
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know where you can buy Nafziger's? I haven't had that since I was a kid.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remember's the Stroh Haus... at lunch FREE beer and Pretzels!

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: There used to be a Strohs or Sanders chocolate almond ice cream flavor. Which one sold it and is it still being produced??? Thanks in advance.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was the mngr of the Stroh Haus in the 70's. They served sandwiches, beer and pretzels to folks that went on tour in the evenings. Dad would bring home ice cream once a week on friday. I remember him going into his change jar to get quarters for the ice cream machine. It would dispense half gallons! My brother and I would fight over which flavor he should bring home. I smile every time I drive by there!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty, I live in the Leland Lofts. Hello !

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.