Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Milroy's fish and chips « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...memory lane..who has good Milroy stories...from Kelly road...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the "best place to go for fish and chips"!
Mom took us kids for dinner there. We put sugar in our water there, when we ate in and didn't stand in line for a couple of boxes of square fish and french fries. It was always good, take home or eat in!
The best tartar sauce!

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to dine there with parental units when I was a kid (in the 70's and possibly the early 80's). Ahh, fuzzy memories.

When did it close and why?

And why did the building disappear? Was it demolished or did it burn down or?

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milroys..on Gratiot and Toepfer...I remember the long carry-out line on one side of the store had its own hallway. One item one the menu was called "Bits and pieces"..It was a pile of fish that had broken off the regular size stuff after cooking. Went there on many Fridays with my parents..

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here ya go.....
milroys

Jskelly79
Username: Jskelly79

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad would take me there when Mom was out of town. He said it was the closest to what he remembered in England during the war. My sister was down there and looking for it and couldn't find it. When did it close.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AFAIK, Milroys had been closed since the early 80's. I heard that the shuttered building had burned down a few years later (I'm wondering "insurance job?"). Now the only thing you'll see in its space at Gratiot and Toepfer is a parking lot.

I wish Milroys were still around.

Oh b.t.w., welcome to the forum JSKelly (you've been registered since October; longtime lurker like me also?)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was that Scottish waitress that was ALWAYS there. I can't recall her name

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fridays were huge at Milroy's. I remember going to the one in East Detroit a couple of times.

The Catholic Church's revision of its policy about "no meat on Fridays" must have hurt business.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to cook there in High School and George had the secret recipes that made the batter real good...Urban Myth that Arthur Treachers was always trying to buy it from themmm...75-77

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As good Catholics in the late 70s, my friends and I would stop at the Kelly location on Fridays before riding off on our motorcycles for pursuing alcohol and adventure. Is the Kelly building still there? I remember the long awning.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always think its funny when an advertisement has a cartoon of the animal you're going to eat dressed as a chef, cooking one of it's own kind up for you.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milroys was the best, the one on Kelly Road is where I went most often. After they closed, it was a funeral home for awhile, unsure what the building is used for now, if it's even still there.
The Gratiot one was only used after a few large mugs of hops and barley at Mcgee's Lounge.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.