Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The return of "Big Sonic Heaven" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone who was a fan of Darren Revell's "Big Sonic Heaven" show (Sunday nights on 89X), it's back.

Darren has re-surfaced in Los Angeles, on "INDIE 103.1", serving the southern reaches of LA, and he brought his show with him. It's available for live internet streaming:
http://indie1031.fm/shows/bigs onicheaven.php

Big Sonic Heaven is a radio show on Indie 103.1 playing ethereal, dream-pop, electronic, shoegaze, electro-pop, deep alternative, etc… Big Sonic Heaven airs Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights from 10p-12m (PST). Hosted, programmed and produced by Darren Revell. Originally broadcast from 1995-2003 in Detroit now makes it’s Los Angeles debut. Listen to Indie 103.1 FM and on-line at indie1031.com.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! Thanks Crash.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9254
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We couldn't even support it one night a week and they can for three nights.
Thanks for the link.

Here is a site (including streaming)for bands and music similar to Big Sonic Heaven. Plus I believe, they are based out of Ann Arbor so they are homgrown.

http://www.auralgasms.com/

Enjoy.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much crash_nyc. The radio (music) in Detroit used to be so good, now I mostly only listen over the internet.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked that show.

Zumby
Username: Zumby

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

Goat thanks so much for speaking up on behalf of Auralgasms.com.

The internet radio station portion of the site can be directly accessed at

www.auralgasms.com/radio

You can browse the entire catalog of Dreampop, Indie, Alt Classics and Singer-Songwriters and make an immediate online request at any time.

For those of you that are missing Big Sonic Heaven, please join us for AURAL BLISS.

Aural Bliss is 2 hours of Ethereal Dreampop, Britpop, Triphop and Electronica from 10PM-Midnight EST

You can also join your hosts Zumby and Mikeylove as well the rest of the Aural Bliss listeners in a live chatroom during the show.

We re-air the Sunday night broadcasts on Tues from 10PM-Midnight and Fri afternoons from 3-5PM for those that like to stream at work.

The chat is only on Sunday nights though. I hope to see some of you there this Sunday night!

BTW, we are based out of Novi, not Ann Arbor but close!!!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9256
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find a lot of my band tours from Auralgasms. It truly is a great site! I am The Eternal (named after a Joy Division song of course) on there but I haven't posted in a bit though I check it out regularly.
Do you still have Auralgasm nights?

Zumby

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If by Auralgasms nights you mean the weekly DJ stint at Luna, we are no longer doing that.

We are focusing our attentions on the site, the station and...our upcoming 3rd Compilation CD.

C'mon back to the site...we miss your posts!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, Crash.... When I was in L.A. just 6 months ago, I THOUGHT I recognized Darren's voice on the radio and often thought... Hmmm... I wonder if he is still doing Big Sonic Heaven? Thank you for answering that question for me.

Religiously, I used to listen to BSH every Sunday. I miss those evenings sooo much....

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4582
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember coming home late nights on Sunday listening to Darren Revell & BSH. I'd often pull into my driveway and wouldn't go into the house because he had some uber smooth groove going. It was honestly the best musical selection for me since the long gone days of WLBS.

Now I'm going to be torn between listening to Zumby & his crew at auralgasms (great great stuff there as well) and Big Sonic Heaven. Not a bad choice to have actually but that's only if I'm near my computer.

I really wish either of these programs were broadcast 24/7 traditionally so I can be in a car and pick them up wherever.

Zumby

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Smogboy,

In case in this clears up your problem BSH is not broadcast on Sundays it is Tues-Thu.

You can listen to Aural Bliss reruns from the prior week Tues night (AFTER BSH), new episodes Sun night or a rerun on Fri afternoon.

Have your cake and eat it too!

Zumby

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that can stream from work, a rerun of last Sunday's broadcast is about to start.

For a taste of the show tune into

www.auralgasms.com/radio

We hope to see you Sunday for real thing...

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome I used to listen to that program every sunday... but it was on 96.3 not 89x...

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 96.3 went from "The Planet" to the bad generic mess it is now, the only reason we ever tuned in was for BSH. When he left, it hurt. So many cds in our collection came from what we heard on there.

Crash - did you ever to post to the detgoth list? Your name has always seem familiar, but I've never known why.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad BSH is back! I wish I could get it (and Auralgasms) on a real radio. I have a slow dial-up connection, so live streaming usually doesn't work on my computer.

Why is it that so much great music comes out of our city, yet our radio stations are so boring? The only ones I listen to anymore are 89X and the River, but they're both based in Windsor.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4590
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zumby, Fret not. I'm still a VERY loyal auralgasms fan. And while I do miss Darren and his brand of music, your offerings are more than enough to get me through the day & night. I wander the internet radio dial and still have my own extensive collection to listen to still.

As far as radio diversity in the Detroit scene, what I really miss is a truly diverse offering during the day- the kind that WDET offered many moons ago. Liz Copeland still plays a great variety late at night but during the day when I'm at work or in my car I don't have anything eclectic to listen to.

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Crash-nyc, I've been out here in Queens for a few years now and have pretty much given up on radio here in NYC, what stations (if any) do you recommend with similar tastes to the above. Maybe I've missed them, but NYC radio has always seemed abysmal to me, almost as bad as my Miami days. I loved the Detroit variety but that has shrunk as well due to the corporatization of radio(seems to be everywhere actually, except the net). Would love some info.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4591
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And one wonders why satellite radio is on the upswing? Who'da thunk it years ago that we'd actually be paying for radio or television in order to get semi-good content?

But getting back to this thread, I'm ever so thankful for internet radio.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, thanks for the heads-up. I forgot that Darren didn't start doing BSH until he moved to 96.3 from 89X. The show started shortly before I moved to NYC, and a friend used to send me tapes, so I had something to quell my disappointment with NYC radio.

Lghart: Yes, NYC radio is pretty abysmal. I was expecting so much more when I first moved here in '95, but it seems that the commercial radio corporate monsters are even less willing to take risks with their NYC flagship stations than with smaller markets. I don't know of any BSH-type shows currently on-air in NYC, but the best places to find innovative radio on the FM dial in NYC would either be 99.5 WBAI (the WDET of NYC), or look on the periphery. For example, 89.5 WSOU (Seton Hall student radio) has some great programming, and a formidable signal that cuts well into most of NYC.
http://www.wbai.org/
http://www.wsou.net/

As Smogboy suggests, satellite & internet radio really are the best options available over FM these days. I've been an XM subscriber for about 3 years now, and I love it. Totally worth the money. The closest thing to BSH on XM is channel 84 "XM Chill". Great for late nights, lazy Sundays & long drives.

Mikeylove
Username: Mikeylove

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi folks, zumby told me about this thread and i thought i would contribute. As a member of the auralgasms staff, i like to eat my own dog food and wish i could hear auralgasms radio in the car. I kind of came up with a way that may be of interest to you all.

Satellite radio costs roughly $10 or so a month. As an alternative, if you have a PDA Phone, you can usually get unlimited high speed internet access for your PDA for $15 a month. Once you have done that, than you can listen to most internet radio streams on your cell phone - including Auralgasms Radio. Although this is a little more money, it has several advantages. For one, you have many more choices available. Also, you also have internet access for things like email and instant messaging. The only disadvantage as it's not as easy to change stations as it would be with satellite radio. Still, you can usually save favorites and make the task easy enough.

If any other people have taken advantage of this, it would be interesting to hear your experience.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.