Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shriners - Moslem Arab Patrol? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had an interesting experience today. A colleague had a foreclosed property he was interested in purchasing for his daughter in Dearborn. Stopped by today to take a look and was saddened to see all kinds of personal effects still in the home. Looks like the owner had passed away and no one had come to pick up his personal effects. The home itself was in amazing condition. Must have been built in the 20's. It had a chute for coal and a little door for milk deliveries. Anyways, we were in the basement and came across a little wardrobe with all kinds of uniforms in it. One of the uniforms had "Moslem Arab Patrol" on a patch. Googled it and saw some connections to the Shriners ... does anyone have any information on this group?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info: they're well-known environmentalists. One of requirements of membership is to own/drive sub-sub-compact cars. They're very manueverable (saw some once in a parade)and they get something like 80 miles to the gallon.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5172
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shriners on patrol

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are a branch of Freemasonry, a gnostic religion. Templars and Jesuit origins. Funny cars are part of their public face but their non-Christian beliefs are taken seriously by members.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8489
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a co-incidence...I didn't know their official name UNTIL two nights ago when I looked at the paraphernalia peppering the new Eff McNally's on Woodward...they've got an old picture of the Moslem Arab Patrol towards the back, unfortunately UNdated.

Those guys apparently are judged by the size of their belly's. Dunno how they get INTO those wee cars.

Secret societies...not new to this conspiracy theorist. I cannot even drive by the Masonic Temple without that creepy feeling all over.

Why aren't the REAL Moslems as pissed at THESE guys as they are those cartoonists in the Netherlands?!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told so many times over the past years that moslems are violent and islam is a violent religion... i just dont know what to believe anymore, i am starting to think that i am not moslem?

at least not untill i get myself one of those cars!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the late 1980s, the term Moslem was commonly used. However, translated, Moslem is the Arabic word for "one who is evil and unjust."- thus the word is now most commonly written "Muslim". [1] The word is pronounced /muslem/ in Arabic, but often /m??l?m/ or /'m?z.l?m/ in English.
Until at least the mid 1960s, many English-language writers used the term Mohammedans or Mahometans. (See for instance the second edition of "A Dictionary of Modern English Usage" by H. W. Fowler, revised by Ernest Gowers (Oxford, 1965)). However, many Muslims argue that the terms are offensive because they imply that Muslims worship Muhammad rather than God. If the term Christian is used to describe the followers and worshippers of Christ, then "Mohammadan" implies worship of Muhammad.
English writers of the 19th century and earlier sometimes used the words Mussulman, Musselman, or Mussulmaun. Variant forms of this word are still used by many Indo-European languages. These words are similar to the French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese words for "Muslim".

From Wikipedia, for what it's worth.

Gannon

Post Number: 8500
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Johnlodge.

I think those who worship Jesus-only might be misled...when even HE prayed to the Father every morning in a private place. They will give lip-service to the Father, but their energies are all towards this curious Christ-figure that in no way resembles the Jesus of scripture.

Servant leader...at least holding open that door to heaven and intervening for his believers when his Daddy sitting at his left hand considers them. Surely he is more, but so many use the obtuse term Christ and seldom look past what they're worshipping...or whose New Testament opinion they are following (if even that). I do NOT trust the stuff that Paul said...especially outside historic context considerations, he causes way too many divisions and disharmony.

I've been postulating a 'Doorman Theology' for a while now...although I haven't published it yet. Got more support work to do, and this Dead Sea Scrolls research is all but amplifying the need for it. More I look, more it seems that the first three centuries of power politics all but derailed this interesting new approach to human nature and relating with the Other outside our perceptions.

The servant-leader concept is the only one Jesus spoke positively of, IF his words were properly recorded. The other 'leader' concept that looks suspiciously like the current situation is always consistently deemed hypocrisy.

Far as I can tell, it is NOT about laws and more laws, rather it is about plugging into this Other and letting Its Love-Spirit flow through you. No law required when that is happening.

His disciples freaked out when he forced them to let him wash their feet...it was NOT symbolic, it was a direct lesson in servanthood. Anyone who has ever partaken in a true spiritual foot-washing knows how completely humbling and internally purifying it can be.

Anyone who has served alongside a true servant-leader knows how powerful they can be, quietly and OFTEN without notice until they go away. (Itsjeff, anyone?!)

So how about those 'Arab Patrols'? I'd LOVE to know when that picture at Eff's was taken.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I for one ain't washing no one else's feet!

Gannon

Post Number: 8505
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5173
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone actually have any answer to the actual topic, and inquiry about the Moslem Arab Patrol?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a fez.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wikipedia indicated that the Middle Eastern theme was popular at the time of the Shriners' inception and alluded to the mystery and ceremony of the Arabian Nights, with its elaborate parties and frolic. Can't find anything too specific though...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shriners are a branch of Masonry which is NOT a religion.

The Shriners meet at places called Temples or in Masonic terms, a Lodge. There is a Temple in Detroit named Moslem Temple #1 is I am not mistaken which meets at the Masonic Temple on Temple in the Cass area.

The Arab Patrol is what they call their degree team. The degree team are the people who help initiate new members into the organization hence the name Moslem Arab Patrol.

VizionDetroit- A Proud Prince Hall Mason since April 2000
St. Mary's #4 F&AM PHA
Ann Arbor, MI
Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Michigan and Jurisdiction

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come no one I know at my age (24 that is) is a mason or a member of these other varying branches of it? Is it just for old people? That is I think that general impression...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day it was mainly men in their 40's and 50's who joined and they kept it so hush hush and no one really displayed anything to let anyone know they were a Mason. There has been a decline in membership over the past 15-20 years as many of the older members have been dying off faster than new members are joining.

I joined when I was 21, and it varies on what circles you hang in and which lodge you join as far as age. When I joined my lodge I was the THE youngest at that time and most of the other brothers were in their 50's. After I joined, we brought in a lot more younger brothers and the average age has dropped.

You and your friends may know some Masons but don't know it. Some act like it is such a secret and know one should know anything about it other than it's members. Many members don't know what the actual secrets are in which they should keep secret (the handshake, password, and ritual) so they keep ALL of it a secret.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Usually if your organization is loosing members, you want to tell more people about your organization. I joined a fraternity at Detroit Mercy. The numbers of active brothers are always going up or down. Obviously we found it very important to make ourselves known on campus, esp. when are numbers were down.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about Masonry is Masons are not supposed to seek members. Members are supposed to seek the organization as a man on his own free will and accord. It's an old rule which needs to be revisited.

I am also a member of Phi Beta Sigma, which does recruit and try to invoke interest in organization.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VizionD--do you know the secret walk for courtroom situations?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom is the high preistess for the lady shriners. It seems like just an event for them to socialize and raise some money for there charity.

Craig

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: where the Masons have gone, read "Bowling Alone" by Robert Putnam. This is a sociologist's view of society and he finds, as the title suggests, that Americans have ceased to "join" and particiate in group activities. The fact that we're on this forum instead of together at the lodge or bowling league supports the point.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ secret courtroom walk. Masons aren't supposed to seek favors for doing wrong doings. I've heard many cases of judges and the accused both being Masons and the accused trying to seek a pardon or so by saying certain things and doing certain gestures, the judge actually threw the book at them. Trying to get off the hook because of an association.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah Craig, I guess that seeking information about the Masons via blogging on a forum might not be what Viziondetroit meant when he said that one is supposed to seek out the Masons.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's cool to ask questions, it's not cool for Masons to seek out members.

Hit me up kevin at crushmediagroup dot com

Catman_dude

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle said that "Masonry is the only religion I need." It runs (unfortunately) on my father's side of the family.

Masonry's own publications states:
"Every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion; and its teachings are instruction in religion." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 213)

Masonry is "...from the earliest times the custodian and depository of the great religious truths...." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 210)

"...the religion of Masonry..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 212)

"It is the universal, eternal, immutable religion ...in the heart of universal humanity...The ministers of this religion are all Masons..." (MORALS AND DOGMA, p. 219)

"...Freemasonry is a religion..." (FREEMASONRY: ITS AIMS AND IDEALS, p. 187)

(Message edited by Catman_Dude on March 03, 2007)

Craig

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi catman - cannot see what it is that you're referencing, but there's a difference between a philosophy and a religion I'm thinking of two friends: one loves Jesus and is a Christian, the other is an atheist who believes that parts Jesus's lifestyle and values are exemplary and worth modeling. Let's get a Mason to weigh and tell us if his practice follows a higher power or if it's just some guys with a lifestyle and cool little cars. i know some people follow sports like they're "religious" but I think that means that they're fervent, not that their soul transcends because they can recite batting averages.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, there was a question whether masonry is a religion or not. I was referencing freemasonry's own authority, their Bible so to speak, on what masonry was...and they call it a "religion." Soooo, I was referencing the MORALS AND DOGMA publication that is the final authority in the Masons' eyes.

Craig

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman (dude!) - those nuts with painted chests at the stadium might tell you that they're following a religion, too, but people that study religion for a living would tell us that it's only a lifestyle. Comparative religious studies ain't my area, but what I've read tells me that these guys are like the Boy Scouts: they honor the practice of religion but they don't have the doctrine and occult beliefs needed to go from "some guys" to a bona fide system of beliefs linking practitioners to an unseen plane or afterlife. Sayin' you're a religion does not make it so.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only Masonic book anyone should be referencing for quotes and instructions is the Masonic Ritual.. not some book by a current or former Mason who wanted to share THIER interpretation of the organization. I know my Masonic ritual forwards and backwards and none of those quotes from Moral and Dogma are referenced in that book.

The backbone of Masonry is religion, but Masonry itself is NOT a religion. People turn Masonry (as well as many other things in life) THIER religion and it becomes a Idol to them. They spend all their time in the lodge, with the brothers, etc... when in fact the Masonic ritual tells you not to let this organization come between your service to God, your family, nor work. People do what they want to do and lack of knowledge leads to falsehoods, which we see in this thread.

Vizion... Prince Hall Mason

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you conspiracy theorists watching "The Secret History Of Freemasons?" Maybe you might learn something.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Jimaz. Wearing the fez makes us a better person.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.