Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eph McNallys Downtown Now Open « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard from a friend that Eph's location on Woodward just north of Congress is now open. Anyone happen to know their phone number or hours at the new location? Can't wait to have one of their great sandwiches for lunch this afternoon.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It opened Wednesday. It was covered then.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/95243.html?1172787859

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had lunch there today.
Seems like the same menu...cobbler, pickles and all.
My meal was huge!
And delish.
Nice place.
Says the're open for 7 days for lunch and dinner but no hours posted.
check it out.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were closed at 5 on Saturday afternoon. Anybody find out the phone #?

Stromberg2

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iddude said "delish". I have to go now! :D

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went yesterday...ran into someone I knew and had a great meal. Yay!
Just have to say that it effing rocks that they are open on Sundays to accomodate the church goers...but more importantly the bar goers who desperately need something to absorb the previous night's alcohol:-)

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The phone number is 964.4511.

We are very interested in feedback from any and all. Suggestions welcome.

Keep in mind that the extended hours are going to be very difficult to maintain if the attendance doesn't happen. As a long time central city resident, I have the same resentment for businesses that cater to the daytime commuter population and ignore my needs. As a small business owner, however, I understand that one can't afford the overhead for multiple empty hours.
Hopefully, the word will spread and folks will patronize the extended hour time slot...which btw...are M-F, 11-8, S&S, 12-6.

Histeric

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - in case you didn't catch this.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007703070421

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a fantastic roast beef sandwich at the Corktown location last summer when I visited. I hope to eat at the new location next time I visit!

(Message edited by cman710 on March 08, 2007)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped by the Woodward Eph's last night. Great sandwiches! Which is more or less what I expected since I've been to the other one, but it's nice having one open later, and closer by to this eastsider. I expect to work them into our regular dinnertime takeout rotation.

It's not hard to stop by there for takeout in the early evening even if you're driving... the secret is to park a couple blocks east on Congress, or in front of the county building.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are any of the breads on the vegetarian sandwiches vegan?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vegans do not deserve such delicious food.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Vegans do not deserve such delicious food."

Restaurants without vegan options don't deserve the vegans' money. :P

(Message edited by Psewick on March 09, 2007)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vegans are a laughable bunch....such arrogance! What percentage of people in the US do you think are Vegans.....or better yet, what percentage of SE MI are Vegans?!? I got an easy answer--a fraction of 1%.......any local business that tries to cater to the 100 or so people in SE MI that are Vegans "do not deserve" to be in business.....nor will cash flow allow them to do so.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 976
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric, please don't avoid Stromberg2's concern about you being closed on Saturday at 5....far too many independent businesses try this tact if "they aren't busy"......Consistent hours is my personal pet peeve, and if someone shows up during your posted hours, and you aren't open, good luck getting them to come back....ever.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric, any chance you'll be open any earlier this Sunday to accomodate folks going to the 12:30 Red Wings game? 11:00 would give most patrons enough time to get to the game. Also, isn't the St Patrick's Day parade on Sunday? There's some more customers.

(Message edited by swingline on March 09, 2007)

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling man not that I am vegan however friends are, however the more a restaurant can accomodate the more business it might receive. See if I go out with 10 people to eat and one is a vegan that business will loose 10 customers at that time if it doesnt have a selection. Somethings are simple such having a small selection of foods to fit peoples dietary restrictions.

Perhaps you should think that it is laughable that things are to be ADA compliant as well since they probably only make up a fraction of a percent as well. Oh why oh why should the masses accomodate the few, because it makes good business sense.

Arrogance is a person that is intolerant of people with different life choices.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there today for lunch at around 11:15.

Nobody in the place. 20 minutes later not a table to be had.

Good sandwich and a great selection.

Another lunch destination for downtown!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps you should think that it is laughable that things are to be ADA compliant as well since they probably only make up a fraction of a percent as well. Oh why oh why should the masses accomodate the few, because it makes good business sense.

Hey Troy, just so you know, that sentence makes no sense.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11402
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do ya really wanna cater to THIS crowd? I'm not even sure you'd be able to translate their order.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how late are they supposeed to be open? I stopped by at 8 tonight at they were closed...8pm on a friday doesnt seem too late

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the hell would they be closed at 8 on a Friday evening? That's backwards.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Supersport spoke half as eloquently as Troy he might not be unemployed.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After finishing the Fox Theatre Behind the Scenes tour around 1, a couple of us walked down Woodward and had lunch at the new Eph McNally's. As usual, great food!! Their beverage selection was not as good as usual. And the decor is nice. There were about a dozen other people in there at that time, including a couple other Forumers.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Eph McNallys on Monday night with a date, arrived at 7:30pm, and as I was crossing Woodward, I saw them locking the doors in front of me. They were supposed to be open until 8pm, and I agree with Gambling_man about the pet peeve of a place not sticking to their posted hours. Monday had sub-zero wind chill readings, and to walk seven blocks in that cold, only to be turned away seconds before getting there - that's not a very good first impression.

If they can't commit to staying open to their posted hours, they should revise their posted hours to something they can keep, and then just stay open a little later if the business is particularly good some night.

That said, I still can't wait to try one of their sandwiches, because the menu looked great...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8517
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've developed the habit of grabbing a carry-out menu from a new establishment, and have taken to calling them before I head out...since it is usually a fifteen to thirty minute walk.

Got quite a nice collection going...

Histeric

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies beantown. We will try not to let that happen again.

Gambling Man. Agreed. I will pass it on.

To All. Eph's Downtown will be closed tomorrow. Both owners and staff will be attending the St. Patrick Day parade in Corktown. I urge all join us in attending the Corktown festivities and patronizing the bars and restaurants lining the parade route.

Dougw

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In their defense, I stopped by at 7:45pm last Wednesday, and they were open. :-)

Rayls
Username: Rayls

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a rule it is wise to arrive at a dining establishment at least an hour before closing. You need to allow time to review the menu, order, be served, and eat. BTW who takes a date out on a Monday to a new restaurant, without liquor, that is closing in less than a half hour? Seven blocks in sub-zero weather usually requires a taxi unless your date is an Eskimo. That would be our last "date".

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do Rayls. She lives downtown, and it was her idea. Her choice in restaurants, dinner time, or methods of transportation is not the subject of this thread.

The walk would have been worth it had they stayed open until their posted closing time.

(Message edited by beantown on March 11, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked over here for lunch today. They were closed. Troubles in Ephland?

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on March 12, 2007)

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell is going on? Glad I didn't drive up today like I planned.

Stromberg2

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a great lunch today at Eph's...line out the door when I left. I'd definitely recommend to anyone.

Soulsauce
Username: Soulsauce

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just left with bread pudding in hand. I even ran into an acquaintance.

It is indeed jumping in there today.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely packed. We got there at 11:45 and there were plenty of tables but they were filling fast. By noon the place was full. When we left at 12:30 the line was out the door. Same quality Eph's as the Corktown location but within walking distance. Nice. If you're getting lunch there during the week get there early or a take a late lunch. Otherwise be prepared to wait in line.

(Message edited by E_hemingway on March 13, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8520
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno how I missed you, E...I was waiting for my carry-out right when you were leaving! I'll admit some distraction from all the smiling women in skirts on what seemed to be the first day of spring...I cannot wait for music in the park to start!

I'm calling in my carry-out next time...heh. They've really got to find a way to accomodate those who peek in, see the line, and settle for something less down the street.

Perhaps having someone outside to take carry-out orders...or at least handing out menu's as advertising for the next time, maybe with some kind of coupon to 'encourage' their return...half off dessert or something (as IF anyone ever makes it that far, my big football coach friend from Compuware couldn't finish HIS corned beef, despite a valiant effort).

On the other hand...anyone who sees the line must KNOW there is something worth it at the end!!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you wouldn't think you could pass a friend in a place that small and not notice them, but it was so crowded that it seems feasible. I hope to run into you the next time I go Gannon.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been to the corktown location, but I went to the Woodward location and I have to say that I was VERY impressed. I will be a frequent diner at the Woodward location.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in late the other night. My food seemed to be expensive, but I was grateful to have an after-five alternative to Coneys. If they remain open late I will be back.

What's the story with the pickles, though? I was hoping for a good dill, but got????? Is this some kind of "Irish" thing? Still, though the sandwich was pretty good, even if it did set me back nearly ten.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been able to eat a whole eph McNally's sandwich in one sitting, so I always end up with two meals for the price. But given that their sandwiches are unique and I've not found anything comparable, they are worth the price.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in last week too, and everything was great except the line at the register.

Everybody seemed to leave at once...by the time I left the counter (nice to have that option), the line was gone...

Dougw

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's the story with the pickles, though? I was hoping for a good dill, but got?????

They're called new dills... they're not pickled as much as "old" dills. It may be a Jewish thing, I'm not sure... local pickle maker Topor's makes a good new dill. I like 'em a lot. Old dills suck. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.