Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Whats really happening? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After watching Ken Burns, "The West", I once again questioned the history of this country. There is consistant questioning about history of our nation. The old days. Were they that really that wonderful? And... for all Detroiters????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =23UkIkwy5ZM

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old days. Were they wonderful? Sure they were. And they were funny, hopeful, sad, tragic and real - just like today. We (kids in 50's - 60's) didn't know then that we would be so nostalgic, we were just living day to day.

For all Detroiters? I believe that all people have wonderful memories of 'the good old days'. Whether you faced discrimination, were poor, were rich, etc.

My mom was born in 1931. They didn't have feminine(sp?) hygiene products for women like we have. I still sometimes can't believe what each and every female had to use each and every month.
Stupid, little things like that make me glad that I didn't grow up in those 'olden days'!

And sleeping in curlers and/or pincurls at night, no blow dryers, etc. Yikes! And in her family, taking a shower every day was not even considered. Just not necessary and a waste of water. So, I'll take the present every day!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every generation/era has certain advantages. We are probably better today then yesterday. Is today the best? No, tomorrow will probably be even better.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IN terms of technology and resources, yes. In terms of society, way worse off.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is the case Urbanize, would you trade one for the other and go back to 1800 A.D. or something?

Urbanize

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must be more specific. Between the civil War and Now, there were a lot more moral values around than there is now, even if it was within your own race.

Urbanize

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Detroit was doing excellent, and the Big 3 was at there peak.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's totally apples and oranges in a certain way.

Things happened at a slower pace back then, so "stopping and smelling the roses" was a bit more practical then, as compared to now.

I worked on a "sociological-experiment agricultural experience" for seven months, on a farm with the social/economic/technological limitations of 1885 and let me tell you,--we have it easy,-no big surprise.

The distraction level was far less than it is now, but for better or for worse?

Sure, as soon as it got dark, they went to bed(!) and thats okay, but often-times, "quality of life" was far less exuberant compared to what we know now. They woke up, went to work, ate, worked some more, ate again, worked even more, maybe ate, and then finished up work, paid bills and went to bed!

The grass is always greener I suppose, but i'm just glad I can watch it grow, rather than harvest it to feed my livestock, therefore my children, over the winter!

KK-diggin' it nowadays.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.