Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Divided Warren « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5594
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest sources from Detroit news said that The City of Warren has become a divided city between the north Side and the south side. The north side of Warren ( just north of I-696) is being developed with an upcoming downtown and new neighborhoods while the south side of Warren is coming like a instant ghetto. What is going on with this sudden change in Warren. Why is the south side of Warren is being ignored by the city council? Any comments.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's sounds like a smaller Chicago to me. But that's off-topic. Warren was a crazy city already. Like Detroit and other major cities in the past, The heads of the cities always did ignore the ghettos of the city while fixing up the high end portions. All the taxes and money and valued land is on the supposed "north side". So I'm not surprised.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, it's getting harder and harder to tell by sight where the once-obvious 8-Mile city limits are as time goes on while the noticeable blight drifts northerly from Detroit. Boarded-up vacant buildings, busted windows, etc. are present, although small in number and degree. It's beginning to look a lot like Detroit. Southern Eastpointe is getting that Detroit look-and-feel, too.

You must know that...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inner ring suburbs have more in common with Detroit than they would like to admit. In this case Warren seems to be at the dividing point. Let's hope this leads to more regional cooperation in the future!

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

696 will become the new 8 mile in the eyes of some. To me... its just an imaginary line to which people use to make excuses why the that other section isnt their problem.

8 Mile atleast wasnt imaginary... It divides counties, and cities, and is a national survey baseline.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

of course 8 mile is just as imaginary if you look at it in the context of " It is not our problem on the other side" who cares what other uses the road or line serves. It still represents a line where most people will choose to think differently no matter what happens

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in warren most of my life and its always been a divided city . Anything south of 9 mile is considered south warren. Thats where I lived for 12 years.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how much further north is "8 Mile" going to migrate, and how much further are people going to move out before most start seeing the cannablization of Southeastern Michigan?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Danny was referring to this article in today's paper. (complete with Danny-esque headline)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007703020342
quote:

War of the Warrens
South of I-696, residents feel forgotten, while the north side continues to develop

March 2, 2007
BY DAN CORTEZ
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Mention the $75 million in development in downtown Warren, and Lawrence Crawford rolls his eyes as a smirk creases his weathered face. That's because he's more interested in what's going on next-door to his home on Chalmers Avenue in south Warren. Raw sewage in the basement of a long-abandoned house is frozen now, but when warmer weather comes, he knows it'll pollute the air with a foul stench.

The city, he says, has failed to respond to repeated telephone and in-person requests to do something about the blighted property, and he's fed up.

"They can build that piece of garbage, but they can't take care of my neighborhood," Crawford, 44, said of the new city hall in downtown Warren. "In the last 20 years, they've let this place fall off."

Eight Mile Road long has stood as a physical and economic divider between Warren and Detroit, the haves and the have-nots. Now, more south Warren residents feel as though they're on the wrong side of a new divider: I-696. The interstate, commonly referred to as the ditch, is like a metaphoric wall between the older, blighted south Warren neighborhoods and the bustling new development in north Warren.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is beginning to happen already. Since the state is in such a financial crisis, I think it is starting to make people think about growth and how much infastructure cost to build. There is no money to expand roads right now, so I think that is just the beginning. Passing school bond issues is the next thing that is having a hard time getting passed. Look at the bonds that were turned down last Tuesday, Romeo, Plymouth-Canton.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 20829 Elroy before moving out of state, Warren has been divided ever since I can remember. Even going to Wizards and the Warren Cinema when I was a kid living on Lappin in Detroit, it was like that. Like the one response was below 9 Mile. The County of Macomb has been buying houses down in that section for years, in fact I sold mine to them, when I was forced to leave Michigan (no criminal background). They fix them up and sell them to low income families for a very low interest.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lot negative said about South Warren. I lived there for two years, two blocks north of Eight Mile before I moved to Sterling Heights. I have run into more crime in Sterling Heights than I ever did in South Warren. If they are going to build a downtown, it might as well be in the center (Warren's boundries south to north are 8 Mile to 14 Mile). Where they are building the downtown makes sense to me.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't make sense to issue 75 million in bonds for art, new library, and city hall when there are dilapidated houses, blight issues, and crime problems in the city (north and south).

Of course i've always argued South Oakland County never got the same funding for roads and other projects (maybe the new Democratic commissioners will get something done for the south end).

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I deliver pizzas on the weekend in south Warren, Eastpointe, Harper Woods, and the east side of Detroit. I'm taking classes at Macomb during the week as WSU has become too expensive for me, and I always see cops on Bunert pulling students over every day I go to class. I have driven hundreds of miles through south warren, and besides the occasional officer on 8 Mile I've never seen a cop in the neighborhood. Some of the streets in the area look worse on the Warren side than they do on the Detroit side. Many of the houses are decaying, and nobody seems to care.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjo, what Pizza Place do you deliver from? Are they good and do they deliver in the Osborn neighborhood?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so it sounds like pretty much of a consensus that there is a divide in Warren. With this being the case, what should be the next step to address the issue?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting that the city of Center Line sits smack dab in the middle of "south Warren" and seems to be, for the most part, a clean, vital, and well-run city. It looks much, much better than the part of Warren south of 9 Mile.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a suggestion that breaking Warren into smaller cities might be an answer?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know. If south Warren became its own municipality, that could truly be that area's death knell.

And if it was attached to Center Line, it might drag Center Line down. I don't know what the answer is. Perhaps the Warren city fathers just need to devote more time, money, and energy into revitalizing south Warren.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that a suggestion that breaking Warren into smaller cities might be an answer?

Heaven forbid! According to the "experts", we need consolidation, meaning fewer and bigger cities. After all, bigger is better and it must be more efficient. Just look at the track record of the four largest cities in Michigan, then again maybe we shouldn't....

Fareastsider

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Warren needs to better manage their blight division which enforces city code especialy in the south end. There has been some investment such as 9 mile rd. and they are going to do from Van Dyke to Ryan next for 9mile. its a start. Another big problem which is often blamed with Detroit is social attitudes. I knew kids from Lincoln who said that no body aspires to do anything they would say south Warren or the military is their only option. People need to care about where they live and I believe a majority in south Warren do. But the problem can and seems to be spreading. and as a personal not I think there are to many kids from south Warren who feel that their lives are just like Eminems!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 623
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mikeg that is actually what I was trying to get Fury13 to say or at least have an opinion to help further the discussion on this thread and what not.

"People need to care about where they live and I believe a majority in south Warren do." Fareastsider, are a lot of these properties rental properties? "their lives are just like Eminems!" LOL

Fareastsider

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there are alot of rentals there in certain parts.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, it's sounds like a smaller Chicago to me. ...

But the big difference between the divide in Warren (also Detroit) and the divide in Chicago is that the divide in Warren/Detroit is continuously moving, which is much more damaging.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilus1mj-

It seems as if some cities give funds for folly before they will take care of the really important issues. For example: The People Mover. Who needed it? Take a cab. Walk some of those pounds off.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel that a major problem with Warren's discrepancy is the difference in school districts. If you split up the whole area into its' respective school districts (Warren Con, Centerline, Van Dyke, Fitzgerald and East Detroit), ceding the Centerline attendance area to Centerline and the East Detroit area to East Detroit, you would have a lot more accountability for the condition of the individual communities based on taxes and easier-to-manage jurisdictions. Unfortunately, most of the dilapidation is centered around the Van Dyke school district attendance area, with the neighboring portions of the Fitzgerald and East Detroit attendance areas affected as well. Or we could go the opposite way and keep all of Warren together and merge the school districts, which is probably a better situation in the long run because it would be more equitable for families in all areas of the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.