Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Milner Hotel - Experiences? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know anything about this. http://www.milner-hotels.com/d etroit/index.html I'm looking for a nice, clean (doesn't have to be fancy, just neat and clean) hotel for some family members over the July 6-7 weekend as my cousin is getting married. Reception is at the DAC.

Anyway, Milner I found for $90 a night online. Looks close to most of the action. But I don't know anything about it. Of course I've been looking at the HI Express, Hilton garden, Inn on Ferry, the Marriotts, Omni, and Anatheum. But they're all well into the $100's range. If the Milner is a nice place, maybe we'll just go with that.

Or I look like a fool and it is some transient place or something :-)

Oh, and besides Orbitz, Kayak, hotels.com, etc., do any of you have a recommended "go to" website for the best hotel prices? I almost never stay in hotels so I don't really know the places to check. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Where can I find the best price most of the time?

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the inn's in the historic houses offer wedding party specials, it's worth giving them a call for something a bit different.

http://www.theinnat97winder.co m/index.php

http://innonferrystreet.com/05 /index.php

http://www.woodbridgestar.com/

Dobson House Bed & Breakfast
1439 Bagley Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216

Phone: (313) 965-1887
Fax: (313) 965-2722

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81,

The Milner is directly across the street from the DAC. Excellent location. I've never stayed there so I have no direct experience as a guest. I do live across the street. The Milner is in an old building with an exterior fire escape. This lends to the impression that it is somewhat of a flophouse. The lobby seems reasonable enough. The rooms on the website appear small, which is very common in old hotel buildings. If your friends are somewhat used to more modern facilities, the Hilton Garden Inn would seem to be an acceptable alternative.

Good luck.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those inns look great. I found the Inn on Ferry for $119/night. However, I think most of the family is wanting to stay within walking distance of the DAC. Finding cabs to get up to New Center could be kinda a problem.

They look so nice.

Beyond the Milner, I'm probably going to try to put them in either the Ren Cen, Millender, or Hilton Garden. Holiday Inn Express is OK, but not super close and I don't want them walking late at night from DAC over to Washington.

Ponch is still a no-no, right?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering why does a fire escape conjure up the picture of a flophouse? I could see it bringing up the picture of a historic building (pre fire codes) but flophouse?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Omni if you can handle the distance from Riverplace. Great hotel. Very good rates

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely no, non, nein, nyet, etc.

Single hipster bohos attending events, exploring city, shooting "ruins" and sleeping it off, fine.. maybe. Great location but bedding family, significant others and/or possibly thyself and you may never be forgiven. A very thin veneer of paint, caulk, cheap paneling, extreme oddity of scale, bad bedding, furniture and appliances barely conceals this former flop. Sorry. Pay the extra money for decent accommodations or risk ruining what should be a great, positive and mainstream summer wedding weekend. You've been warned.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go with the Milner. If your family wants a place to shower, get ready for the event, come back to to sleep then who cares how fancy it is.

Also, you can't put a price on the step outside to the DAC factor. How swell to stay in an old hotel in Detroit and WALK across the street with the whole family to the wedding. I want to go with you!! Conjuring up all kinds of 1940's fun evenings in Detroit scenarios in my mind!

And, if you need an extra room or two, you could stay at Docmo's across the street!

I love the exterior of the Milner. I want you to stay there, ok?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Priceline.com is showing a rate of $89.00 at The Inn on Ferry Street for that weekend, much better than the Hilton Garden Inn ($159.00), The Marriott RenCen ($179.00), The Marriott Courtyard ($219.00), The Omni River Place ($174.00) or the Holiday Inn Express ($139.00). If your family wouldn't mind a short bus ride and the hassle at the border you could try Windsor, ON. The rate at the Radisson Riverfront is $119.00 US and $127.00 US at the Windsor Hilton.

One more thought; is someone in the wedding party a member of the DAC? I know they offer overnight rooms for members so if you know a member maybe they could fix you up.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on March 03, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Milner has been going through some serious renovations over the last couple of years. I have read that they have been renovating the rooms a little at a time. I have watched them clean the exterior brick (big difference) and put a big new sign out front. However, I have never stayed there and I don't know anyone who has. Here are some reviews on it, which are mixed.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hot el_Review-g42139-d89995-Review s-Milner_Hotel-Detroit_Michiga n.html

AOLSVC_37439_0%2C00.html,http: //leisure.travelocity.com/Vaca tions/Reviews/Hotel/Read/0,,AO LSVC_37439_0,00.html

http://travela.priceline.com/h otel/overview-United_States_Mi chigan_Detroit_The_Milner_Hote l_Detroit-3066103.html

You can't beat it on location though. It's in a great spot. I would suggest you seriously look at the three places Lghart suggests. Those are great places I would gladly send family to. Also, check out the Millender Center Marriot. That is just a short people mover ride (it has its own station in the building) to the DAC (Broadway stop).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8451
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome - I agree to stay within waling distance but if you are sending out info for friends and family you may want to include numbers for a couple cabs in case they want to go to a museum, restaurant a little out of the way, etc.

You can get cabs in the city but you have to call them. Waiting to flag down a cab won't always leave you happy. Let me know if you need some recommendations on good cab companies.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, if you do decide to go with the Milner, Priceline.com is showing a rate of $69.00 a night.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on March 03, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the hotel at Bagley and Cass (I forget the name)? I never hear that one mentioned when someone is seeking a hotel downtown...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stay at the Milner a couple times a year, but I'm a single guy that couldn't possibly care less where I sleep. The price and location make up for any shortcomings, for me. For your family, maybe not. Some rooms are better than others, but remember, the building is about 80 years old. I recommend room 1008 (or is it 1007?). The views are fantastic.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 880
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hotel at Bagley and Cass...originally the Detroit Leland, later a Ramada, and now the Leland again. A scary dump, judging from online reviews.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay at the Hotel Statler. I heard that place is pretty nice.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the hotel at Bagley & Cass is a wonderful 1 star hotel!! Just how good is a 1 star hotel you might ask? Well let's put it this way... there is no such thing as a "no star" hotel! :-(

Blort

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Leeland. Just reading the reviews is hilarious. Higgins owns that, so it's bound to be shitty.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blort, the Leland is at Bagley & Cass (the one I was talking about).

Those reviews are a hoot! :-)

Even though the hotel is a dive, at least it is not empty and being scavenged.

The Leland was built by C.A. & George L. Rapp (known as Rapp & Rapp). The Rapp brothers were most famous as one of the big 4 Movie Palace architects of the 1920s (the other 3 being our own C. Howard Crane, Thomas Lamb and John Eberson).

Rapp & Rapp designed the Leland in a very elegant Italian Renaissance style. They of course also designed the Michigan Building and former Michigan Theatre across the street from there.

Blort

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, I should have recognized the location.

We ran into Higgins when the bar in the Broderick opened briefly during the MLB playoffs. Didn't say anything to him of course, but the phrase "slum lord" was on my mind.

I have heard many horror stories about the Leland. I kind of want to stay there for the night just to experience it for myself.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my wedding, people stayed at the Hilton Gardens. If you call them they will give a special rate for people attending the wedding. I think it was $109 or $119.00. The hotel is only four years old, the Milner has aways seem like a flop house to me.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Milner is an old building with an exterior fire escape which gives the impression of old, cheap hotel to many patrons. A couple of my friends from Ann Arbor recently commented on the Milner looking like a flophouse.

Their comment comes from a biased perception against Detroit and small old buildings. It is the first thing that comes into many peoples heads when they see the Milner.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've stayed at the Milner. Don't get your hopes up and realize you will get what you pay for here, maybe less. More than likely your room will not have been renovated. It will be fairly shabby with odd dimensions (remember, the building is a wedge). Elevator may/may not work. It will probably smell like smoke. The location is awesome but don't book thinking it's going to be anything near the quality of the newer nearby hotels like the Hilton Garden Inn. If you do stay here, set your expectations very, very low.

Isn't the Milner Arms apts up in the Corridor an actual flophouse?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.