Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Boblo Boat Hijacking « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is this nut at my work who seems to recall an incident where someone was killed on the boat and then the murderer(s) took over the boat and demanded to be let off on the U.S. side because they feared the Mounties.

Is this just a crack pot story?

I couldn't find a thing on Google.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 945
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The excursion vessel Ste. Claire (later famous as the Bob-Lo boat) was caught in a crossfire with the border patrol in 1931. An innocent passenger was wounded on the deck of the St. Claire by stray bullets from a border patrol boat. Incidents like this helped sway public opinion against prohibition. Taken from http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/34/mobsters1.html

Don't know if that's it, but it's all I could find.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on March 03, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 946
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also found this:
But just as the park was turning around, they began to have problems with Detroit gangs. In one May 1988 incident, after numerous fights had broken out in the park, The Ontario Provincial Police were brought in to supervise the loading of the ferries back to The United States. The officers wore bullet-proof vests and brandished weapons.

The fights did not stop there. A confrontation broke out on one of the ferries, some fighters brandishing knives. Frightened spectators rushed to the opposite side of the boat which caused it to list badly. Many were trampled, some were beaten and/or thrown into the river.
Taken from this website which gives almost a year by year overview of the park, complete with injuries, rides, attendance, etc. Darn near everything Bob-Lo is on there.
http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPa rk/Boblo.html

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez! Sounds like an awful place. I'm glad by the time I lived in Detroit, that they didn't have this boat service. I guess leave it to Detroiters to ruin other country's parks...

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 947
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP: Bob-Lo was awesome! Look over that link in the post above yours. Has great pics of a wonderful and clean place for kids of all ages to go right here in our backyard! A few bad apples...and no one said the fighting was from Detroiters. People from ALL OVER came to Bob-Lo.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob-Lo was incredible... so much fun. I have great memories of those days. The boat ride was almost as much fun as the amusement park itself.

Today's "theme parks" like Cedar Point or Six Flags are somehow more sterile and cold than the old amusement parks.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I didn't come to the Detroit area until '97. Obviously it was closed by that time and I have since heard a lot about it. To me however it just sort of seemed like an obscure place that didn't really exist in my mind because I never physically went there, and couldn't even tell you where it is on a map. Seems like a 'heaven' that doesn't really exist. Almost akin to the Detroit that people talk about a generation or two ago. I can picture it, but it just doesn't exist.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda like when you walk through the woods and see fallen trees, and think, "I didn't hear them fall, so they didn't"?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was a policeman inDetroit and told me about an incident in the late 70s or early 80s. On the ride back to Detroit a large group went wild and then was contained by the crew with hoses. When the boat docked in Detroit a squad of the riot police (TMU, I think) went rushing on board with sticks and proceeded to bring order. These sorts of things, I was told, used to never happen, and if that's then I don't blame everyone who left the City. I moved on because I saw that it wasn't safe on the west side where I grew up.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 625
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always nice when the 'thugs' can push around good people. (slight sarcasm implied)

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my parents took my sister and i and my grandmother to Bob-Lo once in the early/mid 70s. i remember feeling really bad because the park just seemed like a big rip-off. the rides were not that impressive (like Cedar Point's) and you had to buy tickets and pay for each ride over and above the costs incurred in the boatride and admission to the island...

i went again with the city recreation department one summer but i dont remember anything about it except the boat ride down...

david

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toward the end the ferry rides back to Detroit started to get a rough reputation. We used to catch the shorter boat ride from Amherstburg in the '80s.

I remember on the big boat, folks would throw those wooden chairs off ... I bet there's a few at the bottom of the river.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the other Boblo run left from Gibraltar? No?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5179
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

You act like this was a regular occurence. I was taken to Boblo as a child right before it closed. Besides what you're supposed to remember it for as a kid (a great day trip) it was uneventful.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the old and more recent Canadian boats

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a small ferry left Wyandotte in the 80's

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There might've been one from Gibraltar, but I just remember driving to Amherstburg and taking that one. Remember, the locals in Canada had to have a way over, so I think that one was always there.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there was a ferry from Gibraltar.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late sixties and early seventies it was still a nice place...crime has a way of destroying good things, out of hate and ignorance. Boblo, used to mean a long ride from downtown watching large freighters and playing tag with motor boats. Music from an old time band and yes mediocre rides but a small but nice zoo. I was always an adventure and a long boat ride home. When people start to feel that they have little pride in themselves they sure can ruin it for all. But, there were a variety of ways to get there...I was amazed how easy it was from the westside/downriver. Not like mega parks today but could have been if it hadn't met an untimely demise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.