Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Parts Of Detroit with a Non-Detroit Mailing Address « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3729
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Balduck Park Hill Thread (far east side park)... the discussion went off on a tangent of Grosse Pointers attending Finney High School in the past.

Well parts of the far east side near the Grosse Pointe border (between Balduck Park and the eastern city limits 2 blocks east of Moross) have a Grosse Pointe mailing address.

Even though the area is technically Detroit, mail envelopes to these locations bear the name "Grosse Pointe".

Are there any other areas of Detroit that have non-Detroit mailing addresses?

Just curious...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CompUSA and Office Depot and the Dearborn Holiday Inn. There are lots...

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there's also areas on the west side that you can address the city as Detroit even though now it's technically Redford Hgts or Redford and have it delivered. It's the inverse of what you're asking, but I believe it's along the same lines.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that if you live in Detroit in the 48236 zip, your insurance rates are cheaper than elsewhere in the city. Is this true?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

technically Redford Heights????what is Redford Heights

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, the opposite is true as well. If you live in the GP portion of 48236 you can use Detroit as the city and still get your mail delivered properly. It all goes through the Grosse Pointe "Station".

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zip code boundaries don't always follow political or city boundaries. In the cases mentioned above, the zip code overlap into another city. Another example is Plymouth. The city is very small and it is surrounded by Plymouth TWP. The zip code boundary more than likely encompasses the entire township as well as the city. The mailing city is Plymouth, MI even though you live in Plymouth TWP.
At USPS, you can search for all the zip codes in a city. Search for a zip code to find the acceptable city names. http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/zcl_ 3_results.jsp

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived for a spell on the last block of Alter Road, the stretch south of Jefferson that leads to Windmill Pointe. I got a break on my car insurance because of the zip code that was mostly in the Grosse Pointes. This was in the '80s before Alter Rd was blocked off at the Windmill Pointe Park.

The downside of living there was that there was nothing nearby to walk to in terms of shopping, a bar, or a restaurant, and it seemed like it took forever to get to a freeway.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48239 - the Rouge Park area share zip code with Redford Twp.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48225 - Detroit and Harper Woods share a Zip Code.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can address an envelope as "Mars" as the city and as long as the street address is correct for the zip code it will get there.

I'm in Astoria, NY. I get mail addressed to the following: Astoria, Long Island City, Queens, and LIC.

I use LIC as a return address since it's quicker to write. It really makes no difference as long as you have a good address and zip.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that doesn't always work.

I once had a check sent to me (from Boston) and they addressed it as "ST. CLAIR, MI 48081".

Well unfortunately I live in St. Clair Shores, and not St. Clair, which is about 40 miles away. And the envelope was returned to sender as undeliverable, even though the address and zip were otherwise correct, only the city name was incorrect.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the first street north of Carpenter in Detroit (48212) between Conant and Jos. Campau. Half of my mail comes to "Detroit, MI 48212" and half comes to "Hamtramck, MI 48212." It all gets here though :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The USPS zip codes beginning with 482 are usually Detroit zones, and are generally thought of in that way, but there are exceptions. (Highland Park, Hamtramck, the Grosse Pointes, River Rouge, Ferndale, Harper Woods, Oak Park, and Redford.) As regards addressing, and delivery, of the mail, no distinction is made, and Frumoasa's post is a perfect example. If the street address and the zip code are correct, the USPS is uneffected by the matter of whether the sender called it Hamtramck or Detroit, Ferndale or Detroit, etc. Gistok's post, however, refers to a long-standing problem, wherein both senders AND USPS workers seem unable to get it through their heads that St. Clair and St. Clair Shores are ENTIRELY different destinations. Another issue is the frequent use of the term "Brownstown," attached to a variety of zip codes. Still, if the street address and zip code are accurate, no problem is caused by that issue, either.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a very common practice for smaller communities, as aforementioned, to do this. For example, Lathrup Village residents write "Southfield" with frequency, although others opt for "Lathrup Village" for the economic class distinction.

Also, though not directly related, I find it interesting that my household receives both the Detroit and Southfield-Lathrup Village White Pages and Yellow Pages. I live on the south side of Eight Mile within a block of the city-limits with Southfield.

Does anyone know if suburban Yellow and White Pages are commonly delivered in other "border" areas of the city? If so, how many blocks deep into the city are they delivered?

Interesting to note, as well...when a "tornado warning" is issued, the tornado sirens of Oakland County can be heard with greater volume than the tornado sirens of the Wayne County side. I figure if I'm close enough to hear the siren that I'm close enough to potentially encounter threatening weather.

All this being said, it can sometimes feel like borders overlap and merge into each other. It proves that this region truly is more interconnected and intertwined than we believe we are. The people are more divided than the borders are.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is right...having the right street address and ZIP Code don't always work. I once accidentally addressed an envelope Berkley, CA 48073, when of course, I intended it to say Berkley, MI 48073. It went all the way to California before being returned to me 6 weeks later! Good thing it wasn't something super important.

Ravine

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok's experience was a total failure on the part of the USPS. Gistok says that the only error was the city name. That lone error should not throw off the automated sorters, which should respond to that 48081, sort it into other 48081, with the result being that the letter should have been dispatched out to SCS with all the other 48081. Assuming that those events occurred, the ball should not have been fumbled so close to the goal line. No way, especially given the fact that this particular city-name error is common, and certainly cannot be unfamiliar to the folks out at the 48081 office who, also certainly, should be familiar with the street address. There is no respectable explanation for Gistok's mail being returned as undeliverable.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4871
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well!! S**T Happens.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48230 (GP west of 48236) can also be addressed "Detroit." This happened often at my parent's GP address.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods 48203 is a Highland Park zip code

Ravine

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have bored Jams with my huffy-toned, long-winded indictment... Spitcoff, Palmer Woods, like Rosedale Park, may be what the neighborhood is called, but it is not an actual city name, as I think you already are aware, and I would suggest NOT using it as an address, although the reasons for wanting to distance one's self from most of the rest of Highland Park are, indeed, quite compelling.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somewhat off topic but responsive to the post about sirens, I was surprised to learn recently that the Oakland Country prosecutor has charging jurisdiction to Seven Mile.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.