Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Where WAS this building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can see what it was--where was it?

where was I?

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a United Shirt at Lafyette and Griswold, where the coney island restaurants are. Unless they had another store, this might be the place.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a United Shirt at the corner of 7 & Gratiot, (northeast corner) but from what I remember the Cunningham's was where McDonalds now stands.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking this is on Griswold between Michigan Ave. and State St., just below the David Stott Bldg., where there once was a Cunningham's store.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3141
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1940 locations:

United Shirt 1940

Cunninham Drugs 1940

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3142
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few possibilities where the addresses are very close:

13600 Fenkell
7300 Grand RIver
10761 Grand River
17101 Livernois
7731 E Seven Mile
6558 Woodward

However, it looks like a downtown location considering the building in the background:

US

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing I have noticed over the years in Detroit is the light poles. It seemed that different ones are used depending on the street stature. I don’t know if it helps, but a downtown local most likely. - Bullet

Kathleen

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were downtown earlier this afternoon and checked out the former Griswold location of Cunningham's and determined that while the building looks very similar, it probably isn't the same building.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem,
Can you blow up the street sign on the light pole at all?

Gtat

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44, the picture quality is so bad, you can not make anything out of the street sign, not even how many letters are on it. Its just a blur.
Now if Packman were to provide a higher resolution scan, we could find the location.
I was leaning to Woodward/Grand Blvd. but that didn't pan out.
This is a tuffy.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If one can make out the 'no left turn' sign in that low res. photo, one with twice as good of a resolution might reveal the street names on that sign.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was leaning towards the Van Dyke/7 Mile area (the street light which are still along it today have the same design), but the high dense building in the far left threw me off.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 04, 2007)

56packman

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK--good work all, Here's the whole picture, before I cropped just the demolished building out of it.
this was before the nightclub days, when it was known as the Palms.

clublandalteredstatejailbaitstinkybar

perhaps we might recognize it better if I photoshopped in a bunch of underage girls standing in line out front in the dead of winter with no coats on, arms folded in front, warming their boobs.

on second thought, let's not.

99gprix
Username: 99gprix

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats gotta be downtown, you can see the Kales off to the right in the picture :-)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this was a test, 56 packman?

Yes, the building in question sat on the west side of Woodward between the State and Fox theatres, right where the Fox Theatre turnaround is.

56packman

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen--yes, it was a test of sorts. A case of "how soon we forget"

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fox Theatre turnaround" = Columbia Street, right?

Do the Ilitches own West Columbia now? I thought that was a public right-of-way.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site is where Mike Ilitch was going to put his "Agora" (Macedonian/Greek for "Marketplace") of shops and restaurants down a closed Columbia Ave. And where the Cunningham's was is where the original location for Detroit's Hard Rock Cafe was going to go (also announced by Ilitch).

But none of those announced ideas (circa 1994) ever came to fruition...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats with the street by Fox that is fenced off? Total BS

56packman

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been that way since 1988 and you are just noticing? must not have needed it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4934
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman wins the jjaba prize for being difficult. As soon as you gave us the whole photo, it was so obvious, even Ray Charles could find that one.

Good work Kathleen. Drum roll for Kathleen and her post 2027 makes her a double centurian worthy of a jjaba prize. Post your email Kathleen for jjaba prize.

jjaba, on the Woodward PCC car passing and waving near Cunninghams. jjaba going for haircut in horsie chair at Hudsons. How many more stops mommy?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, jjaba!! I appreciate the sentiments!!

Look for an email; I've got yours from some past correspondence.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
You trickster. The question that comes to mind, when were they demolished?

I worked at Press Picture Services, the furthest west, ground floor retail space in the Fox Building on Columbia late 76 - early 77 and I really can't place those buildings, although I vividly remember the last house on the south side of Columbia in the middle of the block of parking lot.

I guess we should have photographed the neighborhood, but without paying customers????

56packman

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams--I took a friend from out of town into the Fox in February of 1987 and we went to a huge barber shop in that building on that trip, so I know it was still standing as of then. I went back to the Fox several times during the renovation, took another friend from out of town to see the Fox in June or July of 1988 and everything there looked strange and desolate. Woodward ave. was torn out, the commercial block across from the Fox was demolished, there was no Marquee or sidewalk on the fox building, the building just stood in a field of rubble. I noticed then that the Cunningham’s/United shirt building(s) were gone. It was pointed out that you could now see the "C. Howard Crane, architect" inscription on the side of the Francis Palms building (State theatre bldg).
So the short answer is in 1988 it came down. So many times I saw things and didn't have a camera

Gistok

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really threw me for a loop on this pic was the building in the background. With what appears as "heavy rustication", I thought it was the Tobin Building on the corner of Broadway & Gratiot.

But that "rustication" was more soot than any architectural motive, and when Chuck Forbes cleaned up the Francis Palms Building, the rustication became less apparent.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4856
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I can't remember a Cunningham's yet I remember the hookers on John R and Elizabeth.

For the last five years I've walked the blocks between GCP and Warren trying to remember the various shops that at one time existed.

Thanks to people like jjaba, I've been able to place places like the Bagel where the blueberry blintzes were probably better in my mind,than they actually were. The used bookstores on Woodward with the musty smell that hit you when you opened the door and found a tome you barely remembered as a must read my trips up Woodward having lunch in Downtown with my girlfriend to my classes at WSU or a free day visiting one of the museums.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were around in the 1950's, you'll remember the old joke about the United Shirt Company. They had to turn off theirb lighted sign when the "R" went out.

Bob Cosgrove

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, about this "Tobin Building on the corner of Broadway & Gratiot." Can you offer any more information about that? Specific location at that intersection? Is it somehow related to Ben Tobin?

56packman

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams--here is the Fox, the way you and I (and others who were downtown in the 70's)remember it.

Fox-back in the day

day after Christmas, 1977

Gistok

Post Number: 3759
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, the only thing I know about the Tobin Building was the sign on the side of the building with its' name.

It was on the NE corner of that Gawd-awful confusing intersection. (On the same side of Broadway as the Opera House). Sorry I can't be more specific.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOOO, that's next to the now State Theatre.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.