Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Geothermal heat in detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wondering if it is possible to geothermal heat in detroit? I feel it is a very feasible reliable option for me, but want to know if anyone else has it in the city and if so what quirks it has for them? For those who dont know what geothermal heat is visit: http://energymatch.com/feature s/article.asp?articleid=46

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.edmundplace.com/

They've installed it. Sounds like a great idea.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Mies van der Rohe coops, the Lafayette Coop, installed a geothermal system several years age. There were a multitude of problems during the construction; but I've not heard any complains about the actual system.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oddfellow Hall redevelopment on W. Vernor utilized geothermal heating as well. It is now complete - the developers may have an idea of what quirks it may have.
Quote:
"The Oddfellows Hall features a state-of-the art geothermal heating and cooling system that utilizes 45 wells drilled to a depth of 250 feet to circulate heat away from the building in the summer and towards the building in the winter. Ladomer notes that the system “is extremely environmentally clean—there is no gas in the building, it’s a totally electric building, but our heating and cooling costs will be 50 percent or less than it would be with a conventional system.”

Although the initial cost of installing a geothermal system can initially be up to three times as expensive as a conventional one, Ladomer says that rising energy costs mean that payback occurs in only six years. “You have to ask yourself, am I going to build for now, or build for the future?” The project is expected to be complete by the end of May; its architect is Lis Knibbe of Quinn Evans Architects."

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Kresge Foundation Headquarters in Troy on Big Beaver has incorporated geothermal into their recent renovation.

http://www.greenbiz.com/sites/ greenerbuildings/news_detail.c fm?Page=1&NewsID=30769

(Message edited by Baltgar on March 05, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So its definitely available for commercial use in and around the d. The IHM Nuns put it in there mother house in Monroe along with some other very amazing conservation techniques. The question I have still is if it is available for residential use? Does anyone know someone who may be using it on a smaller scale?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Canfield (?) Lofts use a ground-source heating/cooling system, or did initially. DTE subsidized the installation to see if it would work. I refer to the lofts on the same block as The Traffic Jam... on the north side of the street.

Actually, using the word 'geothermal" is a misnomer. "Geothermal" refers to heat produced by earth processes at a great depths accessed by deep wells which produce superheated steam at the surface.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Canfield lofts were one of the very first Geothermal projects done in the city of Detroit. I know several of the owners there and they have very low heating/cooling bills.

http://www.sesnet.com/services /multi_tennant/multi_tenn_fram e.htm

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see more of this around detroit because it just makes sense!

http://www.ihmsisters.org/www/ Sustainable_Community/Sustaina ble_Renovation/sustainmep.asp

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on March 06, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read "geothermal heat" and the first thing I thought of was the steam billowing from the sewer caps. City should find a way to tap those bad boys. :-) hehe

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't be surprised if geothermal heating becomes mandatory in all new construction. There's already a movement in place to get buildings to be carbon neutral by 2030. That includes renovations/restorations as well.

(Message edited by wolverine on March 06, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.