Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » St. Patrick's Day Parade in Corktown 3/11 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been before, but plan on going this year. What's the best area to view the parade from?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always view the parade from behind a six pack.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemos is a good place to view the parade.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We usually watch from the block just east of Rosa Parks Blvd., as we are usually able to find parking in Corktown within a couple blocks of that intersection.

Other St. Paddy's events that weekend:
Annual Painting of the Shamrocks, Friday, March 9, 2007, 11am. The Gaelic League will be painting shamrocks along Michigan Avenue in preparation for the 49th Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade. The Gaelic League is located on Michigan Ave., 4 blocks west of Tiger Stadium.

Pre-Parade Mass at St. Patrick's, Sunday, March 11, 2007, 10:30am. St. Patrick's Church, 58 Parsons (behind Orchestra Hall). Celebrated by Bishop Quinn; Irish music, singing, dancing, and lots o’ green!

St. Patrick's Day Parade, Ferndale: Formerly held in Royal Oak, the Oakland County St. Patrick's Day Parade is in Ferndale this year. It kicks off at 11 am Saturday, March 10 at St. James Catholic Church on Woodward (between Pearson and Hazelhurst) and heads down Nine Mile to Livernois. Three hundred marchers, floats, bands and two dog units. 248-546-1632 or http://www.downtownferndale.co m

All things Irish in the metro Detroit area: http://www.detroitirish.org/#p ubs

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second floor of Casey's pub

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anywhere on michigan. If you have a family and want a more subtle atmosphere go across the street from all the bars.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

prepare for the drunkening!

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be running in the 4mile race before inebriating myself....anyone else out there running in the race?

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Boys from County Hell, a Pogues cover band,
is playing at the Slows Bar BQ
www.slowsbarbq.com

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be racing the 4 miles!!! Lets hope for a warmup on Sunday.

Where's a good place to park??

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Pouges cover band? Does the lead singer have any teeth?

Jcdfde5
Username: Jcdfde5

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 mile race? Still time to join?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://downto.hostme.com/Corkt ownraces.htm

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you know Dave from the Post Bars, he will be in his traditional Leprechaun costume again this year.
I can't be there, so if you see him, tell him his sister says HI! (he only has one, me) His costume rocks,real beard and all.
I'm so jealous of all of you.I wish I could be there.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade is a holiday unto itself. Tons of people, tons of bars and tons of fun.
If you want to know where to go before the parade crowds get there, check out this Corktown Bar Tour the night before on Saturday, March 10th.
http://www.insidedetroit.org/s chedule.html

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie, you aren't making me feel any better to be missing it!!!!:-)

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, we'll drink a beer (or four)in your honor:-)
Hopefully we'll see you next year!

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be down there wearing a red cape and other various stupid stuff. You would probably be wise to stay on the south side of the street if you're with youngin's.

Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktowns own bonnie lass, wrote a fine piece
covering the parade.
www.modeldmedia.com/features/s tpats83.aspx

Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh... as far as the Pouges cover band having teeth in their mouth.......
They have 32. But keep in mind there are 9 people in the band.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh the memories of St. Pats day ..our senior year we used to do a poor mans version of a pub crawl...one time and I am blanking at the name of the restuarant/bar on whitter near kelly we ran into our nuns from GA having a beer at lunch...brings a smile to my face knowing that they would still have to teach the rest of the day....we then would go into ST. Clair Shores to a bar out there ( bad At tnames ) Irish of course and spend the rest of the day drinking green beers and discussing world events with Gary Marcetti, Woody, Jim Longenecker, Mike McLeod, Murphy and the pour souls who would join us on our journey.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A2_EIjpwGhc

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best place to watch the parade is at my place! We are on Michigan Avenue across from Slow's. Got 3 kegs of Smithwicks, I'm cooking up a batch of corned beef and cabbage, and we're doing eggs and chorizo for breakfast before the festivities start. All the Conspiracy Theory Brew and View nuts from the Forum are invited (You know who you are...) the rest of you can rough it with the plebes on the street and try to get into bars to take a piss or get a beer. Seee yah!

Corktown_paddy
Username: Corktown_paddy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen;
Best move EVER was getting out of Royal Oak and into Ferndale on the Oakland County parade.
Business owners in Royal Oak tended to be cheapskates when it came to helping out, but were right there to cash in with their full restaurants.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come it's on the 11th when St Paddy's day is a Saturday the 17TH ??

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we celebrate Irish Week - the parade is always on a Sunday before St. Patrick's Day. It is not a holiday in Detroit, people work and children go to school during the week. The theme of the Parade this year is "Famine to Fortune" a celebration of the Celtic Tiger. All floats need to use this theme in order to qualify for prizes.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudflap - I'm salivating over here! Guess I'll have to get in on the Conspiracy Brew and View crew - which I've been meaning to do anyway (sounds very interesting). Until then... I'll be one of those "plebes" at Nemo's this Sunday. Can't wait!

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric w.
This way everyone knows year after year after year that it will always be the sunday before. So next year when St. Pats falls on a Monday the parade will be sunday. Would you want to go to a function on a Monday at 12 noon, probably not. Besides this gives lads two days to party instead of one.

If you attend hope you have a blast, I go every year. Pretty much can't beat the party. It is peace, happiness, and beer, yes lots of beer. If you can run the race before that way you do not feel so guilty about consuming all the calories throughout the day.

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just mesin' with ya'll. Stop on by for some beer and grub.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks-didn't know about an Irish week so that explains it

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a Grand Day for a Parade!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great day for the St. Patrick's Day Parade!! Sunshine, blue sky, and comfortable temperatures to go with all the green!!! Truly a remarkable event!!!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FUN DAY!

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could really see the lack of police presence down there this year. I've never seen such the crowd move so far past the barriers.

On the bright side the crowd was huge. Considering there was also several shows, a Wing's game, the Builder's Show, and Autorama. There were lots of folks downtown.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any good pics for those of us 12 hours drive away that couldn't make it?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both the Freep and News ran articles with photos and link to a photo gallery:

It's time to go green Detroit: Springlike weather brings out the partyers, Irish or not
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070312/NEW S01/703120360/1001/NEWS

b{Parade crowd feels the warmth: It's a great day to be green at Corktown event}
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/M ETRO/703120337/1003

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a great time, tons of people,good fun but yep the police or somebody really should control the crowds better,,, there were practically closing in on the people in the parade,,that could be dangerous with kids running wild

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill, with the City down 500 police officers, you can't expect much.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had a good time as always, great weather again as well

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were plenty of police... and they were very friendly.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone...like parents maybe...could take better care to keep their kids from the middle of the street where the floats and performers are marching.

On the other hand, if there were a better way to get the goods (candy, beads, etc.) to the paradegoers, like walking along the edge of the parade route and liberally handing out the goods, the kids wouldn't feel compelled to run to the middle of the street to get them.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all were saying how much better it was than say the T-day parade where you are kept back from the participants.

You, and the kids, are much more a part of the event.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In some ways, I don't disagree as long as parents are watchful. I did see a young lady who was inches away from getting hit by the parade vehicle as she lunged into its path to grab some beads.

Yet I thoroughly enjoyed a couple past experiences where the crowds left only enough room for the vehicles to get by, enabling paradegoers the opportunity to get great photos and shake hands with the champs (Tigers '84 rolling along Congress St.) or get beads and other goodies from the St. Patrick's Day parade through the French Quarter in New Orleans. The crowds were well-behaved in both cases.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the parade was great, one of Detroit's best traditions. I watched it, and lots of interesting people, from a hay bale in front of Slow's.

As a parting thought, however, people absolutely fucking trashed Michigan Avenue. I would hope that parade organizers or someone cleaned that shitt up, cuz it looked nasty, people.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still hung-over from yesterday :-) 'Twas a fantastic time - took my friend/old boss there for his first time. He had a blast. Went to Nemo's for a bit, watched the parade, strolled down Michigan - what a perfect day weather-wise.
It was good to see such a diverse crowd - young and old - the kids soaking in all the excitement, etc.

Treelock - I certainly agree with your parting thought. I noticed that as well. Even while walking Michigan several hours after the parade - people were chucking beer bottles against buildings, etc. Not much enforcement in the later hours - but still a great day. I'm sure there will be plenty of cleanup in preparation for next Saturday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.