Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Macomb county police-Defenders of constitutional rights? or just inept? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit police are constantly getting a bad rap. However, the Grant case re-enforces what I have known for a decade. The majority of suburban police are just assholes who solve crimes by chance or intimidation. When faced with a real crime they fumble big time. What the hell were they trying to accomplish with this park "search"? How is a quarter million dollar R.V. and A.T.Vs going to help anything? Did they think a body was just going to be laying in the open? Chances are far higher you are going to run over evidence befor you see it on a A.T.V. They obviously were not dealing with a criminal mastermind here. He has probably been chopping off body parts and throwing them out the window on the way to work each day for 2 weeks. He was found cold and shivering he obviously didn't plan to far ahead here. I can't help but think how much better the C.O.D would be if they had half the resources that were devoted to this crime. Thoughts or questions?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your point? Maybe you ought to get all the facts first before making some of your assertions.

Last I checked, they DID find body parts!

And they had to tread very carefully about violating Steve Grant's legal rights... people do have rights you know! They went by the book. Just remember this was reality, not TV drama.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburban cops are hell bent on busting kids for drinking and drunk drivers. That is what makes the money. Not much crime in most of the burbs. I lived in Macomb. I was sitting in my house in SCS with the windows open, playing acoustic guitar with 2 of my friends. I knew all of my neighbors and knew I wasn't being to loud for them. "Something i obsessed over to keep the neighbors off my back,since I was a 22yr old home owner." These SCS pigs felt the need to come to my door and tell me to keep my "jomboree" to a minimum. Also calling their backups and telling them to cancel it's only 2 guys and they're over 21. The suburban pigs are one reason I'd never move back to the burbs.

DPD you have my respect.

Gistok

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I still live in St. Clair Shores... and I agree with Chitaku... I hate that 5 minutes response time for a 911 call... (it doesn't give you enough time to put away your doobs and other paraphenalia).

Of course in Detroit, you don't have to worry about it, where you're lucky to get a same day response at all... :-(

(Sarcasm alert)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok i assume you are an older male. In your case the cops leave you alone I would imagine. However I am a young adult male which stereotypically means I am a pot smoking, drunk driving, partying irresponsible individual. This in turn has caused a lot of police harassment over the years, when I have not even been in that sort of situation. One time I went to the Clinton Township PDHQ to help video tape for my internship. Those rotten pigs told me I looked like AL Qaeda while I was taping. Rotten pigs.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They found body parts AFTER the torso. The park search should have been performed about a week earlier and more completly. Still how did the "mobile command center" help anything? Where did they even get the money for that? My point is- "good" cop would have had the intuition to get evidnece for the warrant a lot sooner than 3 weeks. I guess we will have to just wait and see because hackel is currently carefully deflecting any and all question. If it comes out their was no evidence of a struggle and the cops did there job but could not find anything I will apologize. I don't think this will be the case. As for "legal" rights go watch these same cops bust a house party then get back to me on that one. The only reason they treaded so lightly is because they knew this case would be high profile and the guy had money/counsel. If theres one thing cops are good at its covering their asses. Oh well, I guess this all "monday morning quarterbacking" anyway.

Gistok

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, I was in your position 20 years ago! :-)

And I agree that some police are real stinkeroos. But they exist in ALL police departments. There are also a lot of really great officers in SCS and elsewhere.

But yes, I can relate to being harrassed. One thing I learned soon after getting my drivers license... don't drive at night with a headlight out in the Grosse Pointes...

Now that I'm older, I get real cheezed at young guys who drive around with their car radios blaring bass. The only consolation I have is that by the time they get to their mid 40's they will have done such serious damage to their ears that they will be using the closed caption option when watching TV.

I know, cuz a buddy of mine does that now, and it drives me crazy trying to watch TV at his house. He shoulda thought about that 20 years ago, before cranking his car stereo up so high. He's lost 60% of his hearing (by 45)... also due to his working at rock concerts at the Fox and the Palace for 20 years.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic but I used to have a "system" in my cars for 5 yrs straight. After only 6 months of not having one I have noticed marked improvements in my hearing.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I knew all of my neighbors and knew I wasn't being to loud for them."

That line alone tells me that the music was pretty loud. Don't depend on what the neighbors tell you to your face - or on the fact that they say nothing.

I for one, resent music that I can clearly hear in my own house. I'm a light sleeper - is that a crime? I go to bed early because I have to get up early every day - is that a crime? I like to enjoy the peace of my house - is THAT a crime? Why can't you just keep the sound inside your house? Why is that too much to ask?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they used cadaver dogs too. That could affect the search speed over a large area. Hence the ATVs?

Chitaku

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the music was not loud!!!! I was playing an acoustic guitar!!!!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to play my stereo loud and go outside to see if I could hear it. If I could I'd turn it down, that way I could see how loud I could play it. That was one solid house in SCS. We would jam in the basement on electric and you could go outside and hear a pin drop. They don't make them like that anymore.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police found Tara's body, caught her killer and apparently did it all without violating any civil rights or allowing anyone else to be seriously hurt. That Wayne County Sheriffs department sure does suck!
Sounds like some here have issues with law enforcement. Nine out of ten times if you treat the police with the respect they deserve you won't have any problems. Hell even I had a few issues with the local police when I was in my early twenties, but looking back on it now I probably deserved every bit of it.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on March 05, 2007)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the music was not loud!!!! I was playing an acoustic guitar!!!!

Maybe it wasn't the volume that was unbearable?

Regardless, though, it's a quality of life issue in the suburbs. A proactive police force will enforce to the letter of the law, most of the time, to keep the quality of life on a standard that pleases the majority of the taxpayers.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought dogs would speed things up? When I was in boy scouts we had a simple yet effective method for "litter patrol". First you get about a dozen people and line up at arms length way from each other. Next you walk as straight a line as possible to the end of the campsite looking at the ground two feet around you. Switch places and repeat. Using this method with 20-30 people you could search about a square mile in about 2 hrs without missing a thing.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought dogs would speed things up?

I agree. Hence the ATVs.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you need ATVs to carry the dogs somehow? Are the two related in some manner I am completely missing?

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, the initial park search last week was all for show. They just wanted to see how their prime secret suspect would react. I guess they got what they wanted. Sounds pretty cunning by the Sheriff to me.

"On Feb. 24, he became anxious as investigators — acting on a hunch — searched Stony Creek Metropark."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070305/NEWS06/ 70305011/0/NEWS04

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.