Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 401 and 403b talk.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm currently in an international growth fund that is taking a major ass pounding this pass week. However, for the past year adn a half its up 30%. I'm thinking now is a good time to bail.

What markets do any of you see that will be on the rise and why?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're investing for the long-haul (retirement) and you're comfortable with the diversification of your asset allocation then it's pointless to try to outguess the market. Even the pros don't know exactly what's going to happen and they get paid seven or eight figures to be right more often than not.

Invest regularly
Low expenses (indexes)
Diversify
Stay invested
Rebalance annually
Retire rich

Try to be Johnny Daytrader and you'll likely be in cash for some of the biggest moves up. Big mistake.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all honesty... If its kicking ass for that long of a time.. year and a half... its probably got a last gasp in it before its time to dump off probably 6 months for to a year from now... If the stock price is going through a correction.. wait till tommorow or thursday for it to bottom out and buy whatever u can while its cheap.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8475
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you are in your late 50s-60s you shouldn't be that concerned about a rough week for a 401/403.

Remember that the market shitting for a week doesn't have an effect on 20-30 year performance. If all your accounts are taking a hit and the market as a whole is doing great then there may be some concern how ou have it allocated.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can those of us with a state sponsored 457 contribute to this thread?

If so, after checking my 457 this week, I have found that I am still up from this period last year (same non-news for my 401k).

P.S.: Regardless of the current ROI, I don't plan on withdrawing any money out of them for about 40 years so this is all a moot point.

P.P.S.: Shouldn't this be in the Non-Detroit forum?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For people with defined-contribution plans, like myself, who are young enough to absorb a market correction, like myself, tumbling stock prices are FANTASTIC.

Why?

Because every dollar of your defined-contribution now buys more shares. When the market rebounds, as it certainly will before my retirement age, I come out ahead.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this is in the Discuss Detroit section- I like DTE right now with it's 4.5% dividend yield. I also like NCC- trading at 10 times earnings and paying a 4.1% dividend.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not time to sell, its time to buy!

If you sell now you will lose that difference because you would be trading one bad mutual fund stock for another. These funds are not for knee jerk reactions.

Internationals are on sale.

To be honest any mutual fund right now will be down unless you are mostly in bonds.

Its all about long term goals. Short term don't mean much.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks...
My bad for posting in the detroit section...

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diversify , diversify , diversify . Have money in every sector . keep your eye on your investments but don't obsess over every downturn . With that said , if the above is impossible for some reason invest in INDEX FUNDS . Not a whole lot of flash , but they go up on a steady basis .

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its all about the dodge & cox.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track75: Good advice for the long haul.

I used to be in the market (hardly at all anymore) and an approach that served me well was, hold your winners and sell your losers quickly. I have money in a money management fund - Atalanta Sosnoff - that I bought last September and it was up 18% on 12/31. It was down very slightly so far this year, but Monday it outa here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.