Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lear closing Detroit plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

March 9, 2007
BY JASON ROBERSON
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Lear Corp. executives on Friday afternoon informed employees at its Detroit armrest and headrest plant that it would close. No date was given.

About 300 hourly workers, represented by UAW Local 174, will be affected.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070309/BUSINES S01/70309043

Given the discussion over Comerica leaving, I felt this was even more significant. Whereas Comerica's 200 workers are just moving and won't directly add to unemployment rates, these 300 workers are out of a job, and not moving to Dallas or anywhere else. Of course, this is just 300 out of thousands in recent years to have this happen, but this is yet another sign that it's not over yet.

It was somewhat reassuring that they claimed no more plants in the area were to be closed, although I'm not certain I entirely believe that, and certainly that statement only applies to the near future. Also, since they will be closing on the sale of their interiors division by the end of the first quarter, former lear plants could yet be closed while lear itself keeps its word.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6193
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is this plant? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Scottr

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been there myself, but google maps puts it on Nancy Street, in the area of McNichols and Davison.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lear announced a year ago that they would be offshoring to Asia and their Michigan and national workforces would be significantly trimmed. It's just the octopus dropping another of its shoes.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9280
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...at least those in Asia will have jobs now. Will they respond in kind and send us food packages when we need it?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in Detroit, but here's another victim of closing in SE Michigan.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17 523367/

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time Michigan/the Detroit area moved out of depending so much on the manufacturing industries. What is unfortunate is that it has to be forced upon these employees by the system of capitalism and economics rather than some forward thinking person back several decades ago. When did Detroiters first realize that manufacturing was not going to be the biggest industry sector in the U.S. any longer? Several decades ago in my opinion. Why does Detroit still have the habit of trying to hang on to old ways?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why does Detroit still have the habit of trying to hang on to old ways?

Just why do you anthropomorphize the city of Detroit as if it were alive? It is not a sentient being, has no feelings, has no habits, and most certainly has no brain.

Scottr

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so what do you propose we move into, charlottepaul? Banking?

and it's not like that happens overnight, and it's not like no one has tried to bring in other industries. in fact, many have, unfortunately, it's not fast enough to make up for the rate we're losing jobs. not to mention, many of these other industries require an education level not present among most of those who are losing their jobs.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nor do these other industries provide the sheer number of jobs

also, manufacturing is an industry fundamental to any nation's economy - our trade deficit shows that quite clearly

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 655
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies. That was sort of a rant against the city that I should have kept to myself. Basically I was just angry at the city for relying so heavily on one type of industry. I just would have liked to think that someone out there would have spotted this 'end' sooner so it wouldn't have been as forced upon those that just so happen to be working in the auto industry at this given point and affecting their families and what not.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 656
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, you are right. The auto industry did give a lot to Detroit. So I guess sooner or later one might have guessed that it would take it back away from Detroit.

Scottr

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we've seen the decline in auto manufacturing coming for decades, seeing it 'sooner' wasn't the problem at all. the real problem is, bringing in new industries is not a simple undertaking. Detroit's image hasn't helped either.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, the Lear plant is located along the north side of Nancy, which is between Ryan and Mound, north of McNichols. It's off the beaten path because a residential neighborhood lies between it and McNichols, and on the opposite side, the prison complexes along the south side of Nevada hide it from view.

I've been meaning to throw it in the OCF thread but it's difficult to photograph from the ground:

Lear Detroit

Parts of the plant look very old, circa WWI, but I don't know much about its history. Used to be American Sheet Metal Co, and prior to that, Mechanical Handling Systems, manufacturers of conveyor equipment and trailers.

Best viewed from the air:

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.