Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Manufacturers National-Comerica Merger « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In light of all the recent Comerica 'buzz'--I've noticed a few people mentioning this merger--and Comerica's closure of many former neighborhood branches...namely old DB&T branches. Are most of the existing Comerica branches actually ex-Manufacturers National branches?

Secondly--how long did the bank keep the dual HQ buildings at 211 West Ford (DB&T) and the Ren Center (Manufacturers)--I remember the Comerica logo on both buildings well into the 1990s. I also know GM kept the old Manufacturers executive suite intact and use it as their own.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming up on the eastside most of the Comerica branches [there] were Manufacturers. Some were First Federals, others were the ones with the Indian Chief image-was it called Commerce Bank of Detroit? (Most of this occured in the 1980s-as far as I can recall anyway-and probably before then.) As far as Comerica using both its new HQ on Woodward, and it's old one at GMHQ simultaneously if I'm not mistaken, to me, that remains somewhat mysterious, but they stayed in business. Shockingly, some Comerica branches that are in the not-so-good neighborhoods, it's like going to 36th District Court, or Metro Airport if you know what I mean. And NOW that I do think of it, I remember on the westside (vaugely) some Manufacturers branches that eventually became Comericas. I wonder what COPA's new name will be after this.... ain't no tellin' since 5th Avenue bailed.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom used a Manufacturer's branch in Novi. It became Comerica.

Waxx

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The conversion took place in 1987, I believe. The same year Chrysler bought AMC.
And the same year-maybe later-Wards left the city and moved to the burbs.
Chatham's folded (I heard it was bought out by Kroger)
Kroger left the city

In '91 Comerica expanded virtually all over the tri-county area. Some older branches actually coexisted with newer branches in the same location until the two were either consolidated or the new one stayed and the old one was gone.

(Message edited by waxx on March 14, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bank with the Indian chief image was Detroit Bank and Trust

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt COPA's name will change before Comerica's name changes. Comerica has shown no desire to be a major "consolidator" in the banking business--which makes it ripe to be a "consolidatee". There are any number of hungry banks looking for a national footprint.

Not sure if it survived the GM renovation, but there used to be a bronze plaque in the lobby of one of the RenCen towers (the one Manufacturers National occupied) that talked about the bank's involvement in the Renaissance Center project.

Waxx

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'the bank with the Indian chief image was Detroit Bank and Trust'

Thanks, 56packman. Had 2 be one of 'em.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to get too picky here but I think the Indian was a brave, not a chief. I recall him only having one or two feathers on his headdress.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.