Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hubbard Farms - Free Press Article(s) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend everyone read these articles.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/99999999/NEWS01/ 70311003&template=theme&theme= NEIGHBORHOODS032007

This is nothing new to the Forum, but it's good to see this POV published in a mainstream news source.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you post a link to each of those articles so I don't have to sign up?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy to sign up. Just tell them you were born in 19?? and click Canada, or Mexico. I do it every day.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting series of articles, which wrapped up today. I'm surprised there wasn't more comment on this forum.

I think it got the tone roughly right for the 3 neighborhoods... for example, Hubbard Farms having problems but also hope for the future, and the outlook in the Davison neighborhood being more bleak.

(Message edited by dougw on March 14, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5617
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbard Farms still remains a well kept up pre-revitilized SW Detroit ghettohood. Mostly Mexican/Hispanic with a few blacks and whites. Mexicantown along Bagley St. is still up and running and there are some new housing being built up near the I-75.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mostly Mexican/Hispanic with a few blacks and whites.

So....your point is that it's like most neighborboods in the city - it has some diversity? And who cares what color of people live there? And it's hardly a "ghettohood," Danny Boy. It's one of the nicer neighborhoods in the city, in my opinion. The only thing that could be contrived as such is the Hotel Yorba. If you mean that it's not as glamorous as whichever suburb you live in, then I apologize.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got yer ghettohood right "here" Danny BOY..

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take it easy on Danny, he's been affectionately referring to all Detroit neighborhoods as "ghettohoods" since the early days of this forum. (Although it was easier to take with a grain of salt when The Ghettoman was doing the posting.)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother lives down there , on Hubbard south of Vernor . His house is very well built , but obviously old and needs periodic repairs . The city services ( according to him ) are terrible other then garbage pickup . He was robbed at gunpoint a few months back , the police did respond to that . He know lives with security cameras in about 4 different spots . A while back he needed EMS due to a " flare-up" of Chrones (sp)disease . They never came , a neighbor took him to the hospital . Personally , I think It's a shitty way to live , but he doesn't seem to mind . So to each his own I guess .

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the pic of Eric on his porch, you'll see my second apt. in the background...175 bucks a month back in 89-90 for a two bedroom, landlord an elderly Hungarian eccentric who kept the place together with duct tape and liquid nails. Still have the rental agreement, written in broken English, somewhere.
One of the first neighbors I met when I moved there in 86 was Mr. Hitch, DPD retired, who made great wine from grapes grown in his garden, and was kind enough to offer me a glass, and is still well, according to the article.
Yes, there's been a real crime spike, but the article conveys the tightness and sense of community that has helped them live through previous crime spikes.
And of course, HF has some home renovators who could qualify for the home renovation olympics, if only they would make it an official sport.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.