Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 2007 Detroit Autorama coverage and photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11405
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured there are probably quite a few people on here who didn't visit the Autorama this weekend, but would perhaps be interested in seeing some pictures. I offered a little input on my automotive blog, as well as a link to my flickr account where I uploaded nearly 300 pictures from the show, enjoy.

http://motorcitymuscle.blogspo t.com/

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks dude

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went on Friday...seemed lacking this year for some reason.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it because it is the same thing every year? I honestly don't know and have never gone, so I am asking a serious question. I would imagine that there would be only so much that you could do to a vehicle before it would no longer be an automobile.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPaul,

Thats exactly it, unless your're a car person, there really isnt much new there. I went three years ago, seen it all in 30 minutes. A few really nice cars, most of them were dingy looking, like they were customized 30 years ago and been pulled around on a trailer show to show ever since.

We need new types of exhibits for Detroit. Things not associated with the automotives.

Jrich2425
Username: Jrich2425

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went today. This was my first time to autorama. What was so bad about it this year?

Supersport

Post Number: 11407
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally thought it was the best year ever, and I've gone for several years in a row. If you find yourself asking "how much can you really do with a car?" then this show is probably not for you, as you'd never understand. Somebody who would ask this type of question likely would never pick up on all the customizations and small details in which somebody has done to their car. It would be the equivalent of me going to an art museum, looking at the paintings, then saying "It's just paint, what's the difference, how much can you do with different colors?" It's an appreciation in which one must develop, you either get it, or you don't.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the $16 reaming is uncalled for.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, any idea of who won the Riddler?
I know that trophy is coveted by the likes of Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose.

Supersport

Post Number: 11408
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to guess, probably Chip Foose's over the top, spare no expense 36 Ford. In all honesty, those cars up for the Riddler are usually of the least interest to me.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4130
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know how it takes these high schools to do a car? Is it a several year project? Roseville HS had some good work displayed and it must have taken a great deal of time.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the Roseville HS auto shop and I can honestly say that it's cleaner and more professional than some auto dealership shops I've seen in town. Those kids there do a great job.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4754
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And does anyone remember when they used to advertise the guest appearances by the likes of Linda Vaughn? What ever happened to her??

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh Miss Hurst

LV

Wasn't she with Gratiot Auto Supply?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I see a lot of the same cars there every year. And too many of the boring 30s style hot rods that were popular when my grampa was a young man. The toy show was kinda lame this year too. It fell on the same weekend as the big Toledo Toy Show, which as a result was kinda weak also. Message to Cobo Hall Mgt. Why do you need the indoor temperature to be 85 degrees? Don't you realize its winter and that most people come in wearing coats? That's gotta cost the city tens of thousands of unnecessary dollars every winter. Cutting off the drinking fountains near the concession areas was another nice touch.

Although, I did like the Isetta Fraschini, the '75 Chevy convertable with 30" rims made up to look like a new Rolls, and the beautifilly restored by WPC Museum '55 Dodge LaFemme.

(Message edited by cambrian on March 12, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were plenty of T&T girls there, pulchritudinous babes are never out of style at Autorama. I personally liked the '32 Fords with the old-school Offy head 59-A flatheads, the little duce coupe from the Beach Boys album cover, the Mopar muscle cars that no one can afford to not have (basically) stock these days and the early 60's Chevy and Ford drag cars.
The Riddler cars (the only well-lit cars in the show) all look alike, they all have the same type of alloy wheels, pans and covers for everything, same look to the upholstery, they even have succumbed to the new car thing of having the "Briggs and Stratton" cover over the engine so that a V-8 (we all know what that looks like) is made to resemble something else when viewed from above.
More engine, less boom-box stereos!

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport,
I went and here are my shots. I am not a car guy but the people watching was fantastic!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/b ankernewman/sets/7215759458240 3899/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.