Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fifth Third expanding here « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/pages/29693 4.php?contentType=4&contentId= 369383

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, well if that isn't the exact opposite as the Comerica article...

not only for the obvious reasons, but also for this...

"Kosch said although southeast Michigan is going through "tough times" right now he believes things will turn around in the next year or so. "There are a lot of great resources in Michigan, we've got a great talent pool, and we're surrounded by great universities," Kosch said."

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Positive news and I guess somewhat offsets the loss of Comerica, but still. Now, what would be nice is if we could lure their HQ from Cincinnati or wherever it is in Ohio. Being a softie for downtown, I always hoped they would also move their regional operations from Southfield ……but, this seems like branch jobs that would not require more space for that HQ.

(Message edited by tkelly1986 on March 12, 2007)

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all Granholm's fault!

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm sure all of the Granholm-haters will gladly call off the recall now.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not quite the high-level executive jobs that we're losing with the comerica move, this is more than welcome.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I welcome them too! I never "got" that name of theirs though-- Say it fast and you're sputtering like Daffy Duck. Then again before my bank got swallowed by Standard Federal/LaSalle it was called "InterFirst" and my brother took that name and spun it down a sexual connotation slope that I won't revisit here. ;)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still feel bad for those Mudhens, playing down at Fifth Third Field. OY!

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing is, so do the West Michigan Whitecaps!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While not quite the high-level executive jobs that we're losing with the comerica move, this is more than welcome."

Glad to see this- I'd rather see jobs for common folks,that is what's needed the most. There's enough executives already.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in Dayton...watch out Tigers, Fifth-Third is coming

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica has been here for over a 100 years. It will still remain the largest bank in MI for a long time.

5th/3rd has had a nominal presence here for less than 10 years.

What do they know down in Cincinatti about Mi that Comerica doesn't know?

Would they have decided to expand here if Comerica had not announced it would focus its future growth in TX and the southwest?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obviously not...though Comerica may still be huge, public perception and perhaps actual banking in the years to come is in a power vacuum, waiting for someone to pick up Comerica's torch. It was only a matter of time until another bank tried to improve its public image here in light of Comerica's total abandonment of Detroit

but perhaps to answer your question about the timeline of this announcement....a location in the cultural center around 2008? could that be the commercial tenant that Wayne State's South Village project had presigned? Which would mean that it had been a pre-planned move. However, they could just be deciding to move in there now....either way I'd be wiling to bet that 2008 cultural center location is in South Village

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...total abandonment of Detroit?" By moving 200 people?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banks are capitalizing on Comerica's announcement bigtime. On the back page of yesterday Freep was a full page advertisement by Flagstar saying we're still headquartered in MI. I am happy about Fifth Thirds announcement, but I would be much happier to see them with a large presence downtown.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3WC, Comerica WAS the largest bank HQed in Michigan. But the former NBD (now Chase) had a larger presence (more branches) than Comerica did. Doesn't Chase now have the largest banking presence in Michigan? I dunno....

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

comerica has 241 michigan branches, chase had 258 as of the name change from bank one, and planned to have 282 by the end of last year.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We've got a great talent pool, and we're surrounded by great universities."

Sounds like a different assessment of the pool than Comerica had. I assume that each branch that they build probably has several white collar jobs to accompany them, meaning this will offset the loss of good-paying jobs with Comerica's departure.

If their gamble is on the city getting better, thus enticing more college grads to stick around, then it is a worthwhile and insightful one and I applaud them.

...this makes me happy that I wasn't on the blame-Granholm boat after Comerica left, because now I don't have to give her any credit. It's impossible to do so anyway, because if I was fifth-third I would have been terrified by her anti-corporation rhetoric.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica takes away 200 employees.
Fifth Third adds 350 in SE MI.

Sounds like overall good news to me.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there's term limits so no more Granholm and I don't see Cherry being the person for the state, since no one knows who he is. So the GOP has a golden opportunity if DeVos does not scare everyone away by his big spending like he did in the GOP primary.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul...are those the same kind of jobs though? Comerica took away its HQ and 200 exec jobs

3wc...they may still plan to maintain their banking institutions in Detroit/Michigan but they have sent a clear message that they are not committed to this area. They have functionally abandoned the community the supported them for 100 years...rather than weathering the economic storm, they ran for the hills or sunbelt rather.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anybody looking to switch, I only had good experiences with Flagstar while I was a customer. Unfortunately, I've since moved and I am no longer a customer, but I switched to Flagstar after 5/3 bought out Old Kent and decided to dick over its new members.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.