Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit's Kettering High School...Closing? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently heard a radio ad for a special benefits concert for Kettering High in Detroit off of Van Dyke and I-94. Many of my family members went to this school. It was built in the early 60s to replace the old Eastern High School (my dad's class was the last to leave Eastern). Anyone know why the school is having a benefit concert?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not on district's closing list per their website. I was kinda sad to hear my former HS (Redford) is slated to close.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering High was built to replace Northeastern High, which was near Warren and Chene. King High was built to replace Eastern High School, which was at Mack and the Boulevard.

In fact, King was built as the second Eastern High and was known by that name from 1966-1968.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Fury. Dad just corrected me! Why did Kettering replace Northeastern when NE did not close until 1980? That was nearly 15 years after Kettering was built.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know. It does seem odd that both schools operated at the same time for awhile. Maybe the population in that area could support two high schools for a time, until enrollment declined.

Daveg725
Username: Daveg725

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just came across this--so is Kettering closing? That's my alma mater as well.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't a high school have a benefit concert to help its programs without people thinking it is closing? The concert is tonight.

From the Freep 3/15/07:
"What's going on: Bassist to play school benefit

A legendary bassist and vocalist is getting ready to strike a helpful chord for Detroit's schoolkids.

Michael Henderson will do a benefit concert for Kettering High School on Saturday. The musical great has a long list of credits that includes performing with Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and many more.

Advertisement

But Henderson, who'll be joined at the event by jazz songstress Jean Carne, would rather talk about something other than his achievements. "It's not about me, it's not about any of us adults," he says. "It's about the kids. Anything for them."

Henderson will appear in the auditorium of Kettering High, 6101 Van Dyke (313-866-5336). Tickets start at $15 and doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at Shantinique Records (313-923-3040), Simpson's Records (313-891-2400) and God's World (313-862-8220)."

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5033
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury 13 tells it like it tis. You beat jjaba to the correction.

Eastern HS was a very Jewish school when it was quite new. Jews were thicker than flies in the 1920s on the Eastside.

Detroit had quite a fleet of High Schools with directional names.

Eastern, Northern, Central, Northwestern, Mackenzie, Mumford, Ford, Cooley, and Cass Tech. have had Jewish populations over the last 100 yrs.

For those of you new to Detroit, it didn't always look like it does today.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering was originally located on Harper and Townsend in the late 50s and early 60s in case anyone forgot about that. I graduated from Kettering HS (C/O 1993) and our graduation programs [then] read '35th Graduation Class of Charles F. Kettering High School'. [I presume since Kettering was relocated to its current location] Trombly was named an Adult Education Center some years later. And since Kettering is not that far from Hamtramck, it did have a huge Polish population in the 60s.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to threadjack, but does anyone know anything about the abandoned school just south of Kettering on Van Dyke? Its right between Ferry and Palmer. I drove by it yesterday and saw its name engraved on the building, but I didn't catch it.

(Message edited by Stryker81 on March 20, 2007)

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stryker81, I believe that's Rose Elementary.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ohudson. I thought it might be some sort of elementary school or something due to its smaller size. I found it odd that it sits so close to Van Dyke also.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the OLD Rose Elementary School. The Board closed it some 30 years ago when the new Rose Elementary opened several blocks west of Kettering HS. The new Rose also was closed two years ago. Shortly after it's closure the Board sold the old Rose and it was a private Muslim school for a while. Thereafter it has sat vacant for decades.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.