Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kellogg should create an HQ in Detroit.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New CEO Plans To Expand Kellogg's Global Presence

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. -- New Kellogg's CEO David Mackay plans to sell more cereal, move more snacks and be in more places.

He doesn't intend to tinker too much with Kellogg's successful steady growth. Kellogg's posted a record $1 billion profit in 2006.

The CEO said cereal is at the heart of what Kellogg's is. It's half of the company's global sales and he said the margins are very good.

Kellogg's increased its share of the U.S. cereal market during the past six years from 31 percent to 34 percent.

Goldman Sachs recently added Kellogg's to the investment house's "America's Buy List." An analyst said it's generating sales and searching for emerging market opportunities.

Do you all think this would be possible? What about there location in Battle Creek?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, they are too invested into Battle Creek. For them to leave BC would be like Comerica going to Dallas.

I personally think its great the Kelloggs has had so much loyalty to their City. I wish more corporations were like them.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a waste of electrons......

Digitaldom

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey just wondering.. good point Detroitplanner..

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they're still in the same state! That's one plus side for them to be in Battle Creek.

Digitaldom

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well they said they wanted to expand globally.. I surely hope they will remain in michigan at least..

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As not as if everything is gravy in Battle Creek, either. They recently shut down their tourist facility, which is located downtown, due to lack of attendance/sales.

http://www.bcunlimited.org/ind ex.taf?_function=Detail&News_u id1=750&_UserReference=3CD54A7 11E7C09

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the fourth shift!
http://www.temple.edu/tempress /titles/1155_reg.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Kellogg came to Detroit they would take over a 20 story building and only fill up the first 15 floors.
Why is that?
Because they only fill their cereal boxes up to 75%of the product. I just opened up a new box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran. So I assume they would only fill 75% of their building. Logic 101.
Cereal prices are rip offs. Those guys are worse than the oil companies.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contents may settle during shipping.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they hide a prize in the building that will only be discovered once you tear it down all the way to the sub-basements?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they should because Detroit is a much more marketable name than Battle Creek, right? At least that's Comerica's logic...........

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If Kellogg came to Detroit they would take over a 20 story building and only fill up the first 15 floors.
Why is that?
Because they only fill their cereal boxes up to 75%of the product. I just opened up a new box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran. So I assume they would only fill 75% of their building. Logic 101.
Cereal prices are rip offs. Those guys are worse than the oil companies."

Two things:

1. What you're mentioning is something called inflation. It happens with all the products on the market. It sucks though, doesn't it?

2. Kelloggs brand does have the cheapest Cereal out of the other two (General Mills and Post). However, Post and Kelloggs might be sort of together, but can't say that for sure.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitaldom:

why?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartthed:

are you sure that was Comerica's logic?

(Message edited by thejesus on March 13, 2007)

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as packaging goes, I always chuckle when the outside of a box shouts "NEW SIZE".... It's almost always invariably smaller, the "new size"..

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"are you sure that was Comerica's logic?"

That's what some editorials have suggested was their logic.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Kellogg came to Detroit they would take over a 20 story building and only fill up the first 15 floors.
Why is that?
Cereal prices are rip offs. Those guys are worse than the oil companies.

If you read the packaging, it says very plainly that the product is sold by weight, not volume, and that contents may have shifted during shipment.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 783
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanise.....
....Although The Postum Cereal Company was founded in Battle Creek, it was purchased (as General Foods) by Philip Morris in 1985 and merged into PM's Kraft Foods in 1989.

General Mills still operates out of Minneapolis. It's most recent cereal purchase was of Ralston's branded division (with its various Chex) in the mid 90's.

(Message edited by douglasm on March 13, 2007)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of you who believe the ethanol hype probably ought to sell Kellogg short.

The price of corn has doubled in the last 2 years. Cereal prices are so high now, they will soon be priced way out of families' ability to buy them.

The short sellers can make a fortune covering as Kellogg's share price drops drastically and it goes out of business.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

General Mills still operates out of Minneapolis. It's most recent cereal purchase was of Ralston's branded division (with its various Chex) in the mid 90's.

There is a Ralston plant in Battle Creek, just south of the McCamley Center/Battle Creek Arena

The_rock

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shredded Ralston for your breakfast,
Starts the day off shining bright
Gives you lots of cowboy energy
that's flavorful and just right
It's nutricious and delicious
Bite sized and ready to eat
Take a tip from Tom
Go and tell your Mom
Shredded Ralston can't be beat".
This was the gingle ( as best as I recall)heard on the Tom Mix radio program back "when radio was king", and when the cereal companies were few and far between. But I still say their prices are out in left field. I might even put my Tom Mix saddle ring out to pasture on eBay in protest.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralston Foods still produces private label cereals.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have hung out in battle creek and went to the fake factory tour. its not all that... i went in thinking that they will actuall by making cereal. all they did was toast some corn flakes for us. its was nice to see and i am glad i did, but it does not call for a return visit. sad that it closed, but lact of attendence is understandable.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

General Mills technically is not in Minneapolis. They're in Golden Valley, a western suburb of Mpls. It's the equivalent of being in Sterling Heights. They did however get their start on the banks of the Mississippi in downtown Mpls way back when.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So getting back to therocks question since it seems that only 75% of Kellog's new building will be filled can this be attributed to employees settling during the move?

*slapping knee*

The_rock

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You show an acute line of thinking, stylin. I'm proud of you.
If and when Kellogg's opens offices here, you will enter the lobby from ground level. A few years later and you will then have to take an escalator down a few hundred feet to be at lobby level. I assume the building settles along with its cereal and its employees.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think Kellog's should move into the space vacated by Quicken in the Detroit Trump Tower after Quicken goes belly up.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol rock

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 1960's when THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was THE comedy show on TV, Kellogg's was their main sponsor... and during the song at the beginning they would include an extra line and mention "Kellogg's of Battle Creek".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.