Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Zeeb or Zeb Road?! Come ON Amy Miller... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8530
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...find out the pronunciation BEFORE going on the air. Don't be embarrassed that you don't know the way they talk west of our western suburb...I know that whole SaLINE instead of SAline can be confusing.

Welcome back Jerome Vaughn, to the WDET newsroom, now Quinn can finally have some serious discussions again...hope you shape up the rest of the crew.

I am not against her, again, I think she is probably a nice woman who can learn how it is done at Public Radio...please, please, please increase the professionalism on-air.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i totally agree, the morning stumble report is wearing on me

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen! That woman gotta go........or we could have a fundraiser to sent her back to speech 101

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy Miller had made it so I cannot stand listening to WDET in the morning. She is awful. She needs to go. She may be a nice person, but she has the worst radio voice and cannot pronounce anything. I listen to WUOM in the morning now and WDET on my drive home.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahahah....
i'm glad to see other people feel the same as i do. She is painful in the mornings...Also, WDET needs to relax on the traffic reports. Every 18 seconds traffic is updated.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to see that I've company while I grimace and groan during my morning drives...

Gannon

Post Number: 8535
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the first time I heard an announcement of Hines being OPEN.

Bob

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never heard anyone say they like Amy Miller, in fact I only hear people talk about how awful she is on the radio. You would think the WDET people would pick up on that. But maybe the next general manager they hire will take care of that. If anyone still pledges to them, they should mention how much they dislike her, and maybe they will can her.

Gannon

Post Number: 8538
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome Vaughn is BACK, and now heads the newsroom. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be dealt with promptly, except he might not have the power to hire/fire with NO head executive in place.

Sure would like to see Allen Mazurek at the helm, I really think he'd do a bang-up job. He knows how everything in the whole place works and has been around for awhile.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Zeeb, Zeb, comment this morning and just about lost it. There really isn't any excuse to flub street names when your main job is to do the traffic report. I don't think we are being too critical. I think there is definitely a place for Amy Miller at WDET, that place just is not reading the traffic and news reports live in the morning.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do y'all listen to these stations. Flip to stations like WWJ, or WMXD or WDMK, WJLB or WGPR?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6203
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Bob. I can't listen in the morning anymore, and haven't for about 6 months.

There isn't a more irritating voice on the dial, IMO.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other stations have commercials and annoying morning radio personalities that mainly focus on what happened on American Idol the previous evening. Well, i've never really listened to the other stations you listed besides WWJ so I don't really know what they do in the morning.

If people want to make comments to WDET directly they can send an e-mail to:

comments@wdetfm.org

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd, becasue I don't listen to 10.19 FM, ah well.

Bob

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's all e-mail them and let them know how disgusted we are with her awful reporting and maybe they will listen now that Coleman is gone. Thanks for including that e-mail.

Gannon

Post Number: 8542
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving back from a quickie Chicago run through the overnight blizzard with my neighbor (unplanned, don't ask), we made it into Detroit radio-airspace just in time to hear Amy's first road report.

I primed him a wee bit by asking him as we passed the exit for Zeeb Road how he might pronounce it. He passed the test, so I tuned in.

He went off eighteen ways until Sunday on her, WAY too harsh for me to repeat...except I realized my conciliatory nature doesn't allow the more severe judgement issued by some of y'all and AMPLIFIED by him after a very stressful thirteen-hour round-trip roadtrip.

But I'm still grinning at his off-the-cuff assessment echoing so much that I've heard from all y'all. E-mail to be sent when I've the time.

None of my radios will tune anything other than 101.9 when I'm in the city, although the car seems to catch 91.7 pretty often in the morning, too.

I'm allergic to advertising. (and hate what seems to be happening with 'sponsorships' at NPR as well, it is becoming too similar to that Madison Avenue dumbed-down bullshit which I so despise)

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I thought I was the only one, but it appears that she grates on others. I switch the station as soon as her drab voice comes over the air.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd all but given up on DET (except for Liz Copeland and Mick Collins's shows) until I heard that Jerome Vaughn was back. Too many folks making too many stupid mistakes and hardly any of the new folks having good radio voices.

I too have defected to WUOM because the announcers are very professional, journalistic, have good radio voices and actually cover more real news on Detroit than WDET has been doing. I finally tuned out WDET last fall when it sounded like the local news folks were just reading from press releases instead of actually going out and doing the proper gumshoe reporting work.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had to turn it off this morning when she paused and stumbled over the daily flooded and closed road report sounded like someone took her papers from her...especially when she went "oh, wait, that one's....open"

her simultaneously nasal and smokey voice is just not what i want to hear in the morning, I'd take some more celeste headly (sp?) though

Gannon

Post Number: 8547
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was worried that they were over-working Celeste...not quite sure she's a natural morning person, although she was maybe a little too damn perky when I'd see her during my early-morning pledge answering days.

She is SO gifted and talented and seemingly agreeable, it would be easy for a bad manager to work her to death. Her outside interests of at least opera need to be encouraged, not conflicted by more WDET demands. Knew that the moment I heard her sing on Ed Love's show.

Oh to find another morning person with a good radio voice...I'd apply IF I could do anything consistently one day to the next. Second or third time in Cafe de Troit, someone in line in front of me stopped dead in their tracks and gushed when they heard me say Hi to Lee that they 'would know that voice anywhere, and loved my work.' He just knew that I was one of the WDET personalities.

Had one of my pledge promo shirts on (between WDET, marathons, and the hifi industry freebies I have few other casual shirts to wear!), but didn't dare ask him who he thought I was...didn't want to burst their bubble and I was enjoying the notoriety for an instant.

Nah...IF ONLY there was enough money in the world to get Craig Fahle back from North Carolina.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.