Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » McNarney's Public House: GRAND OPENING - St. Patrick's Day - 673 Franklin St., Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come one, come all to the McNarney's Public House grand opening. This Saturday (St. Patrick's Day).

If you want to get a sneak peak, Shannan's video blog #5 takes you to the St. Patrick's Day parade and the post parade party that was held at McNarney's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lzlOzZsfX4A

Visit: http://www.mcnarneysdetroit.co m for a complete list of entertainment and more.

(Message edited by sg_creative on March 14, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a nice spot. They did a good job with the interior. The price of beer was a little steep and a I haven't eaten the food yet, but overall I had a good first impression on my first visit last weekend.

There are photos of the interior at the end of this blog post.

http://sof8mile.blogspot.com/2 007/03/2007-corktown-st-pattys -day-parade.html

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much is steep?

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steep beer keeps curbsiders off the bar.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$5.50 for a pint of Guiness or Bodicks. Yeah, it was the same night of the Corktown parade but it still made me look up and take notice.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food is fabulous!!! I had the Corned Beef dinner with the traditional cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Dave had the Reuben Sandwich. Both were really good!!! Yeah, the beer was a bit pricey. Hopefully those prices will go down as they get into the swing of things.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also...the music!

We heard the Bruno Boys for the first time, and we are now fans!! Hope to see them back there soon.

FYI...Thornetta Davis and Band will be playing at McNarney's on March 24 and April 7. Dave (aka The Grillmaster) is playing the first of these two gigs. Come on out and see them and enjoy the food and drink!!

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can not wait to visit this place. I am back in Detroit from Germany for a week in April and will DEFINITELY be tossing back a few cold ones before and/or after a Tiger game or two. How far is the walk from the Wintergarden in the RenCen to McNarney's?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Wintergarden to McNarney's is maybe a 5-minute walk.

Drankin21

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen, what a great alternative for the GM people!

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious... what happened to Currents?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8542
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currents is now McNarney's. Currents closed awhile back.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know.. sorry wasnt real clear with the question. I guess what I meant was, what was the deal with Currents?.. wasnt it a very similar "pub" style place? Seems like it was open for a very short time. Just wondering why it couldnt capitalize on the proximity to the Ren Cen. Bad management? bad service?

Drankin21

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad bar name, bad timing - honestly, i never knew it was there, never heard anyone talk about it

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8543
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interiors were pretty much the same. My guess is that they didn't market themselves, they tried to be too traditional when it came to the food. I only drank there (due to the menu) and the service at the bar was good. The service on the deck the few times I was on it was average at best.

I liked it as Currents and I like it as McNarneys.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you walk along the riverfront and get to the bar or do you have go up to Jefferson??

Kathleen

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McNarney's is one block north of Atwater, facing the river, so yes it is reachable from the riverfront.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this place has some work to do! A group of us (about 10) had planned on going to McNarney's based on DetroitYes reviews - we were excited to try it out. It looked good from the road and we walked in and they were charging 10.00 cover charge! My friend said "10.00 for what" - the lady at the door said "for music." Well that blew - so we went to Corktown and had a great time at Nemos for FREE and the music was great!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree...we also went there late this morning to have some lunch and a beer with no intentions of being there all day. When we found out about the $10 cover, we went elsewhere. Normally I wouldn't complain about the cover charge. Truly it is expected when you've got the full St. Patrick's Day thing going, but they didn't mention it on their website or their signs on the front windows. And they had the music upstairs, along with the outdoor party tent on the deck. For those who wanted food downstairs, I say they should have let us in, and save the cover charge downstairs until upstairs was nearing peak capacity later in the day. Still we will go back very soon because their food is delicious and the musical acts are first rate!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.