Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Harmonie Park, Renamed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cavanagh
Username: Cavanagh

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep. . .

New name will link Harmonie Park to lively past
March 15, 2007

By JOHN GALLAGHER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Detroit’s Harmonie Park enclave is slated to find new life as the Paradise Valley Business and Entertainment District.

Named for the famous African-American district that was demolished to make way for I-75 and urban renewal projects, the new district would, if early hopes pan out, become a lively, mixed-used district of urban entertainment, businesses and residences.

Harmonie Park features some loft residences, businesses and street-level clubs, but all or parts of several buildings are vacant.

The city’s Downtown Development Authority approved the idea of the district in concept Thursday and agreed to spend $2 million to buy a surface parking lot in the area. The DDA already owns five major buildings in the district, including the historic Harmonie Club, which it took over late last year after the previous owner ran into financial distress.

Brian Holdwick, a staffer with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., which is overseeing the planning, said the DDA will be hiring professional consultants to help map out what types of businesses and other uses should be encouraged to locate in the district.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8552
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waste of time and effort. Harmonie Park was fine and this little attempt certainly doesn't make up for the destroyed community.

quote:

Brian Holdwick, a staffer with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., which is overseeing the planning, said the DDA will be hiring professional consultants to help map out what types of businesses and other uses should be encouraged to locate in the district.

I'm willing to bet that there are thousands of plots of land throughout the city that could use these resources much more.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3813
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a horrible idea!!!

Nothing like wiping out 150 years of German history in that area.

Just cuz they bulldozed the original Paradise Valley, they decided to rename another area that... how transparent.

Boy we sure do have some dumbasses in the DEGC...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit isn't German anymore, Gary. Hasn't been for eons. It's more of a Chocolate City.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I am correct the monies were donated specifically for that project years ago.

Gistok

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well LY based on your logic, they can rename Capitol Park something else if they wanted to... it hasn't been the site of the Michigan State Capitol since 1847.

And Campus Martius has not been a military parade ground for probably over a century... yet they renamed the Kern-Block-Kennedy-Square back to Campus Martius.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am wondering what this 2 million dollar surface parking lot is, although i think i already have a pretty good idea...

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know that all other problems are solved, so they can spend time renaming areas.

Honestly, what does this really accomplish?

Gistok

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On second thought... I noticed that they didn't mention anything about renaming the park. So I guess they can call the district anything they like... folks will probably still call the area Harmonie Park...

... after all doesn't everyone call the middle part of downtown "The Necklace District"?? Another DEGC invention...

(Message edited by Gistok on March 15, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

consulting

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reopen The Broadway. "Paradise Valley Men's Boutique" has a nice ring, no? An opportunity beckons.... http://www.geocities.com/jiggs 2000_us/holloway.html

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total waste of time. Too bad, Harmonie Park is one of the best names for an area in Michigan, or the U.S. for that matter. It has so much potential. Hopefully someone will take up the name.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry , Harmonie Park is much better sounding to me, doesnt matter whether its a chocolate city or vanilla city or a strawberry one for that matter.Actually no flavor should own it .

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^lol

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will always be Harmonie Park to me. The destruction of paradise valley to make I-75 and Lafayette Park is one of the greatest tragedies in the history of 20th century cities, but you can't make up for it by pretending that someplace else is a new version of it.

Stupid, stupid.

Isn't there is historical marker denoting Harmonie Park right there off of Randolph?

Gistok

Post Number: 3816
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I can see it now... the BLACK FOREST BAKERY... THE PFERDE-HOOF LOUNGE... MR. ALBRECHT'S SHOES... "zwei for fiffy-five"...

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neun und zwanzig oder zwei fur funfzig.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Gistok. This is a horrible idea. I'm all for honoring the city's past, but c'mon!

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

official name changes only mean so much...the actual park will still probably be called Harmonie Park or at least everyone will still call it that

what matter is what their plans are for the area (and that 2mil surface lot?? Madison Lenox?? if that's really Harmonie Park)

either way the fact that this once edgy and rising neighborhood that sort of ran out steam is getting new attention is an excellent thing...and I think it has alot of potential, though maybe not as much as Capitol Park

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie Park is doing just fine in my opinion... A full year of quality baseball should be a shot in the arm. Plus the name sort of promotes, I dunno, harmony? Isn't that something lacking in this gd city?

I don't know much of the history of the Paradise (which I aim to correct since I fancy myself a music historian) but this seems like putting a band-aid on a wound that's long since scarred over.

Create a new hip area and give it a name... or better yet fix a neighborhood. I saw poor Al Allen in Brightmoore the other day. That area needs money/attention/love so badly.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The effort would be better spent re-creating an entertainment-oriented district with buildings on a portion of Hastings Street (at least the side that's still there), and on the adjacent blocks to the west, from the river north to Gratiot.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nothing like wiping out 150 years of German history in that area.

quote:

Detroit isn't German anymore, Gary. Hasn't been for eons. It's more of a Chocolate City.

Livernoisyard,

I have lived in Harmonie Park for the last ten years, and I also happen to be a 4th generation Detroiter of German descent.

Harmonie Park has been a very diverse neighborhood for the entire time that I have lived here. The residents and businesses have always been a blend of people.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the main point of the thread...

As a long time resident of Harmonie Park, I would have a problem with a simple "renaming" of my neighborhood, but I doubt that is the plan.

"The Paradise Valley Business and Entertainment District" sounds like a new designation that will encompass a section of northeast downtown, including Harmonie Park, the stadia area that used to be Paradise Valley, and some other adjacent areas.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to gauge where this outcry is coming from. I read the article, and the ONLY thing I see is that the EDC is simply marketing the area around Harmonie Park as a new district. The park has not been renamed, the the title of the thread is deceptive. Let's actually start reading articles.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 16, 2007)

Apbest

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

u mean harmonie park?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5231
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes; thanks for catching that.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...I dont like the renaming idea, but it does seem like a sound business strategy for a quaint area with few successful businesses.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the money that would be boondoggled on consultants fees (see my editorial on that above) and spend it on increased police patrols in the Harmonie park area. Coordinate regulatory branches in city hall to help business wanting to locate there (or anywhere else in the city) instead of each department acting like their own little fiefdom of regulation. Take care of the basics and businesses will take care of the rest. Ignore the basics and you won't have to worry about businesses.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has problems beyond the basics. The city suffers from negative image problems and disinvestment trends that show up on bankers charts. Start with the basics, yes, but business won't necessarily just follow.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, let's get rid of Harmonie Park and Paradise Valley Business and Entertainment District all together and designate it as Rainbow Road Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgendered Questioning Sector of Sin!

I think that has a rather nice ring to it. It could be home to several gay bars, galleries, bookstores with sex-toy-backroom, and a community center. This is perfect! This is going to wipe out decades of persecution and hate!

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or how about "Surly Panhandler Park"? Bah, nevermind...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, wasn’t there a move on to rename Water Works Park to Bill Muncie Park at one time? How about we rename the City while we're at it? Something a little more appealing like…Paradise Valley!?

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on March 16, 2007)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this very crucial time in Detroit's present, re-inventing the wheel is in order. Other cities have small communities within their downtown's that mesh many different merchant and entertainment ethnic neighborhoods that every tourist can explore an enjoy. Call the area something different that will start an active encave so Tiger fans,Lions fans, Opera fans, or who-ever can have a continual flow of activity b4 they reach the Detroit,,,,,,RIVER

Apbest

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am shocked and disappointed that the Harmonie Park area won't be named after Coleman Young--it's about time something around this city was named in honor of hizzoner.

What a ridiculous, ill-conceived, assanine waste of resources. There's a thread on here about Times Square--that name will have to go soon too, let alone the Hudson Block--maybe Times Square should be renamed Poletown.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise valley is a dope idea. We(black folk) desperatly need a specific area downtown where we can really highlight our rich culture. With people coming through from different cultures, win win situation...

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll still call it Harmonie Park. Sorry.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, they are not renaming the actual park on paper or in spoken reality. They are marketing/developing the area around the park as Paradise Valley. Nothing more.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But that area is not actually Paradise Valley. You cannot try to make up for the disgraces of the past by pretending that something is a thing that it really cannot replace.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its not about trying to make up for past areas that were destroyed. Its all in creating a CONTINUAL FLOW OF ACTIVE ACTIVITIES highlighting every aspect of Detroit's history. We have a unique portfolio of untapped markets that gives us the green light to create our districts from scratch.Just imagine leaving the Fox theater, have drinks on Park ave. walking through Grand Circus Park, hit broadway for more drinks,different vibe, cut over into Paradise valley Harmony park for some Live jazz (juke joint style),shop at the african art store, watch from a store front window as african dance classes are taking place. its all in marketing. no big deal...

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MArk my words, this area will soon feature MOTOWN THEMED activities, KWAME mentioned a MOTOWN WALK OF FAME...PERFECT LOCATION...!!!!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasn't the(black folk) Downtown_remix mentioned been given the entire city of Detroit for about 40 years to highlight their rich culture? What has happened? I think there are other areas that need a lot more help than this one.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandfather often mentions paradise valley as a hub of black merchants,entertainers,jazz and motown sounds. the fact that these things dont exist in dense quantities leads me to believe re-mixing that area of downtown will offer the in-fills desperatly needed in downtown.Lets put the money where it will get a return, why put it deep in the hood when it can get the mainstream appeal needed downtown?

Jeff_of_dayton
Username: Jeff_of_dayton

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During my visit to Detroit last weekend I was in a hotel immediatly behind Harmonie Park, and my room had a view over the park and adjacent areas.

This park and immediate vicinity has really great potential to be something cool. There is already a restaurant in that area, along the park (it was booked up and had no tables when I tried to eat there), and I noticed a band was playing in the basement of that yellowish brick building that fronts the park to the NW (next to the Milner Hotel).

It looked like some of the storefronts along the park might have had places at one time, but recently closed, perhaps? Yet the potential is there, sort of an extension of the stuff to the south of Gratoit around that casino, which is really an overcrowded area.

In terms of urban design, all that really has to happen to make this an intimate little urban place is to fill in some of those parking lot areas between Harmonie Park and I think Brush Street (this would be the east side of the park, I think) with some rowhouses or midrise mixed use buildings, maybe with parking garages behind them.

There is a good example of this in Cincinnati, with Piatt Park/Garfield place, which is right at the edge of downtown Cincy, similar to the way Harmonie Park is at the edge of downtown Detroit. They used apartment/condo townhouses and put the parking garage to the rear, so the townhouses all faced Piatt Park.

This little area has tons of potential, seriously.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the name change is really saying is, "White folks, we black folks want a part of downtown development." So, by naming this area Paradise Valley B&E District and focusing on an African-inspired theme, blacks folks in the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation are telling black developers, black merchants, and other interested blacks that here is where we are going to make our stand downtown.

In actuality, many black businesses or businesses that attract a black clientele already exist in the area. You have Lola's restaurant, The Rhino, Spectacles, Hamilton Anderson, and the clothing store on the corner of Broadway and Grand River, and the City Warehouse clothing store that sells urban fashions. Two former clubs/bars that attracted a white clientele now attract a black clientele. The Hub has been replaced with an upscale lounge/club called Lot 1240( or something like that), and the former Centre Street Pub has been renamed the Grand Central Bar(or something like that). Both of these places cater to a black crowd now.

With these latest developments, I guess someone in the DEGC said, "Hey, we have a nucleus of black businesses right here in Harmonie Park, so let's promote this by changing the name to a name associated with a past thriving black business area, Paradise Valley." Hey, it makes sense to me.

(Message edited by royce on March 17, 2007)

(Message edited by royce on March 17, 2007)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove past the site of the former Madison-Lenox today. The parking lot looks great and so do the buildings behind it. A much needed improvement. The north end of HP (Paradise Valley) now looks pretty good.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were Creating an Asian Village out of dirt. Lets continue the cultural themes. we need the melting pot pockets.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting the feeling that the people in charge are thinking in terms of Epcot Center for this area.

It's too contrived to work. Ethnic areas evolve over time, not because some business owner went to Market in Dallas and bought a gross of African Masks.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump^

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CANT WAIT TO SEE WAT THEY COME UP WITH

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.