Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dossin Museum Grand Re-Opening: March 24 & 25 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dossin Museum, which has been closed to the public since December 30th for an upgrade of exhibits and facilities, will re-open with a “Grand Re-Opening” weekend celebration on Saturday, March 24th and Sunday, March 25.

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/thingstodo/featured-events- dgm.asp

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for placing this information on the Forum Johnberk. I hope to be down there on the 24th for the official opening. I was honored to have been voted a life membership in the Great Lakes Maritime Institute back in 1975 at our annual dinner which at that time was held in the Harmonie Club. I served as Secretary of GLMI for about 30 years. Lots of fond memories of people,boats, places and events.
In the mid-60's, Pat Labadie and I brought back from Goderich, Ontario the name board from the old ALTADOC which was awaiting scrapping, and it and several other nameboards are ( hopefully) still hanging from the ceiling of the Dossin unless the refurbishing efforts have resulted in some changes. Getting that board through Canadian Customs was not an easy task even back then when security was lax. It probably would not be allowed today.
We also brought over the beautiful wooden model of the JOHN BARLUM in my stationwagon in the 70's a gift from the Gottfredson family. I am curious to see if the model collection has been moved or altared in some fashion. It's an extensive and impressive collection.
It appears that the Detroit Historical Society has done an admirable job in getting our marine museum afloat again, and I salute them with two longs and a short.

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fantastic,love the place.We can see it from our front window here in Windsor. With the lower water levels this, there is expected to be more traffic,as the lakers will have to lighten tonnage .
So far have only seen the Algosea and John Spence.
1l 2s

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have very fond memories of going to Dossin with my grandfather, who lived on Grosse Ile. Went a couple of times every summer.
We used to sit on the island and watch the freighters. My favorite: The Cliffs Victory.
I'm sure it's been scrapped, lying in a pile next to wiring from Detroit streetlights now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any news about their glorious webcam resurfacing?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cliffs Victory was sold to Panama in 1985. It was renamed the Savic at that time. There is no record of it being scrapped so it may be out there!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I can't believe you know, Ookpik! That's amazing. haha I used to draw pictures of it in crayon. Went through many, many brown Crayolas. Then my grandfather gave me a painting of it. Done by some famous ship artist. Can't remember the guy's name, but I know some of his work hangs in Dossin.
Good to know she might still be sailing. She was a mighty fine vessel. :-)

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from what was mentioned on the Dossin site, does anyone know what the Bob-Lo exhibit will entail?

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, The Web Cam is supposed to be back online late this month or early next month.
I've been checking each Day !
It's been a long year without it !

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59, thank you so much for that info! It should be fun to watch people fighting over the controls when it first returns. Webcams like that should be plastered all over the CBD.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep's Bill McGraw pens about the opening:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070320/BLO G07/70320040/1161

The_rock

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow-Looks like I got a little unexpected print in McGraw's column.
But I am really looking foreward to the grand re-opening. I hope they have a good turnout and generate enough publicity to keep the interest going for the Dossin, especially as the weather gets better and more folks take a drive to Belle Isle.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_p, keep watching. The Canadian Navigator went upbound a bit ago (1141 at Dossin), & John Spence is downbound again—should be at Station Belle Isle at 1405. Steamer Alpena went up to her namesake port on 3/13. And various Upper Lakes Shipping vessels have been in Windsor loading salt at Canadian/Ojibway Salt (the Canadian Olympic is there now).

The Voyageur Pioneer should be leaving Morterm in Windsor shortly. The Soo Locks open at midnight on the 25th, & she’s due in Thunder Bay that same day. The Welland Canal opened yesterday, so we should be seeing salties & other Canadian boats soon. Once the Soo Locks open, we’ll see lots of American vessels. It won’t be long now! :-)

Jimaz, the Dossin webcam is in the testing stage currently. It should be online for public viewing shortly.

Oopic, sorry to burst you & Rhymeswithrawk’s bubbles, but the Cliffs Victory was scrapped in Masan, South Korea. Scrapping was complete by 1987. See the Marine Historical Society of Detroit’s historical info at the link below. http://www.mhsd.org/publicatio ns/a&f2/cliffaf.htm If, however, you want to engage in some rumor-monging (sp?), see the Boatnerd discussion link below, 11/6/03 thread entitled, “Cliffs Victory Rumor.” http://archive.boatnerd.com/ar chived/11-03/Default.htm

I’ll be happy to see the museum open again (can’t wait to go!), but I’ll miss former curator John Polacsek.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oopic, sorry to burst you & Rhymeswithrawk’s bubbles, but the Cliffs Victory was scrapped in Masan, South Korea. Scrapping was complete by 1987.

Sad Christmas. Oh well, not a surprise. I mean, the ship was nearly 50 years old.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cliffs Victory on the Detroit River:
http://www.mhsd.org/photogalle ry/cliffshoch-u-detriv.jpg

This is how I remember her:
http://mhsd.org/photogallery/i mages/cliffsvictory-1999-edwar dj.morris.jpg

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWFavre thanks for the notice, I'll keep my eyes on the river.the V P's a real beauty.Also saw Algosea>DB 17:35-03/13/07 and UB 17:47-03/16/07.
I have lots of time for watching,as I am recovering from anterior spinal decompression & fusion,on 02/28/2007.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dossin set to sail again: Maritime museum will reopen Saturday

"Maybe it's the renovation. Maybe it's spring's advancing daylight. Maybe it's the fresh sea air (river air, technically). Whatever the case, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum appears brisk and bright and ready to face the public after being closed for improvements since Dec. 30.

The maritime museum on Detroit's Belle Isle is scheduled to reopen Saturday with free admission and refreshments. Admission will be free through 2007; donations are welcome.

The Detroit Historical Society spent more than $100,000, all private money, to create new exhibits, update some existing ones and make other improvements. "Some of it you can't see makes it warm and cold when it's supposed to," said Bob Bury, executive director and chief executive officer of the Detroit Historical Society.

There are four new exhibits...."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070323/ENT 05/703230326/1035/ENT

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/webcam/default.htm

webcam is up and running

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't earlier when I tried it in the museum. :-(

The rest of the museum looks excellent, though.

Kudos to The DHS.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, it definately is running. Reminds me of how much I miss the waterfront.....

The_rock

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited the Dossin yesterday morning and was quite impressed with the hard work evidenced by the DHS. You are handed a new "Visitor's Guide" when you enter , and that is a first. Smart move.
The museum looks cleaner, brighter, new carpets etc. Although some of the ship models have been removed, the space is now occupied by new exhibits which should appeal to the citizenry. Great new Boblo exhibit, new video room, and some very interesting old black and white photographs showing the local shipping and waterfront. The gift shop sells several of the Arcadia Press books devoted to Detroit history.
Well done, DHS. Keep up the good work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.