Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Model D has a brother in Pittsburgh « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Pittsburgh and we have a puffy email newsletter and website called POP City which I just realised was related to the Model D thing in Detroit.

It can be a nice source of some news but the top down -- government and inside the club spin on everything could make you ill. You know the "I invented the internet types."

Well, I noticed a common story line they are pushing on both sites and makes me sick. I did three posts about it on The Pittsburgh Metroblog.

http://pittsburgh.metblogs.com /archives/2007/03/father_knows _best.phtml

http://pittsburgh.metblogs.com /archives/2007/03/father_knows _best_follow_up.phtml

http://pittsburgh.metblogs.com /archives/2007/03/where_does_f ather_live.phtml

The thing that seems to be going on in Pittsburgh is that the city is in effect being controled by people who don't live in the city.

Any thoughts on this.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model D is not a blog!

I think you'll find closer relatives in other cities.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 791
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually both online magazines are produced by the same group. ModelD was first. They have expanded into other cities including Pittsburgh. They also have metromode here which encompasses more of the metro region.

The Pittsburgh version actually tends to have more content than ModelD...perhaps because they incorporate their metropolitan area like Metromode does here.

We used to live out your way Nynurgher.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I am wondering about the agenda of these people. Seems like both sites are run by a private company but the goal is clearly to act as a PR arm for a closed group of inside players-government agencies, quasi governmental agencies like the URA in Pittsburgh, Mega funded non profits like UPMC in Pittsburgh and a closed group of pals almost all of whom seem to be getting some kind of government favors.

I once looked into perhaps advertising on their website and the message you get back is that you are not part of our club.

The idea that they are blasting out sort of customized versions of the same story really drives home the point. In this case they are pushing the idea that Downtown business owners should in effect have to pay a new tax for services like safety and sanitation that the city is allegedly supposed to be doing.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, talk about conspiracy theories. If it bugs you so much just ignore it.

I happen to know some of the people involved with the Model D group and I can tell you that there is no weird extreme agenda other than promoting the positives and examining ways to make things better. Some stories, like the BID, are applicable to more than one city, hence the coverage in both places.

I believe they have a Grand Rapids version too, if you want to get really "JFK" on us you should see if it's covered there too.

By the way, as a downtown business owner I am very much in favor of the BID concept. In Detroit half the work is being done by Penske's Clean Detroit group and everyone seems to love that, but that's done in a year or so. An official BID would simply make sure it continues in perpetuity (among other thing).

Nyburgher

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"America's Midwestern cities feel so depressed sometimes. But they aren't alone in the uphill battle to bring people back together downtown. In fact, there are hundreds of cities across the globe struggling to revitalize inner-city marketplaces. From Chiyoda-ku in Tokyo, Japan to Brisbane, Australia; from lower downtown Manhattan to Prague, Mexico City and even Windsor, Ontario, cities are scrambling to capitalize on the last decade of urban growth by generating new businesses, public spaces and visitors."

Thats the opening for the Model D story pushing BIDS.

Here's the one from POP City.

"American cities aren't alone in the quest to bring people back downtown. Hundreds of cities around the globe are struggling to revitalize inner-city marketplaces, scrambling to capitalize on the last decade of urban growth by generating new businesses, public spaces and visitors."

Here's where they tell you that they have the universal answer to all problems.

Model D

"While it's difficult, clearly, to create something new out of downtowns that are old, there is a road map, so to speak, culled from years of successes and failures. There are tried and true methods to make things happen."

POP City

"While it's difficult, clearly, to create something new out of downtowns that are old, there is a road map, so to speak, culled from years of successes and failures. There are tried and true methods to make things happen, Feehan says."

I get the slight impression that there was a Script here?

The whole thing is gross and really Pittsburgh's Business climate is gross. I kind of am on here cause I am to afraid to be saying all this sh-- t in Pittsburgh. I thought NY played with a stacked deck put this place is unreal.

I can't speak for Detroit but here pretty much the only major problem is the government here. The town itself is just so nice and has so much going for it. But these people suck.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They adapted one story for a different publication. What's the big deal?

Model D is NOT the government in your city. And I am pretty sure no one is going to kill you in Pittsburgh if you say all this "sh--t". So I guess (a) find a way to tie this to a Detroit discussion, (b) start a discussion about Pittsburgh in the non-detroit section, or (c) seek medical attention about your paranoia.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nothing wrong with people pushing an agenda or even putting out "advertorials".But,you have to look closly at whether they have their facts straight.

I am also not completely opposed to all BIDs and certainly not to people working together and forming associations.

What's being pushed on POP city is pretty much the idea that almost all progress comes from inside experts and government agencies which is total crap.

Face the fact-- It seems like Detroit needs a BID downtown because the government isn't going to provide an adequate level of safety. In Pittsburgh they spent that money on Stadiums and other stuff and now they are telling business owners that if they want clean safe places they should join together and form a BID.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, is that actually a "fact"? Was the money earmarked for the stadiums and "other stuff" taken from public safety or sanitation? And were those lump sums spent on the big ticket items available to the city over 30 years to use for miscellaneous housekeeping, or were they special bonds issued for those projects?

Sure, you can look at a BID as businesses having to pay for city services they should already get. But business districts make more demands on city resources than other areas. Business owners want it clean and safe, and they want tons of people to come down there which makes it dirtier and less safe. So there are EXTRA needs that these BID's are seeking to meet, in order to keep the quality of the area at a higher level.

And I did not get the impression that POP City or Model D was saying all improvements come from government. I got that they were quoting experts who are familiar with the concept, but that citizen involvement is the key to the BID.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as conspiracy theories go. This is kind of a good one since a lot of the entities list themselves right at the bottom of POP city's site
or in Ads.

Pittsburgh ( I guess that's the city government.)
Urban Redevelopment Authority ( quasi government entity that acts conduit for federal funds _
Port Authority
Allegheny County Redevelopment
National City ( Big connected bank )
Law Firm ( Do they deal with the city? )
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center ( a non profit giant )
Pittsburgh Cultural Trust

Nyburgher

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the bottom of the Model D site and you see a similar group of players.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/worldisflat48.aspx

Government agencies and quasi governmental agencies and their pals are the driver and controler of the economy. That's their world veiw.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, is that actually a "fact"? Was the money earmarked for the stadiums and "other stuff" taken from public safety or sanitation? And were those lump sums spent on the big ticket items available to the city over 30 years to use for miscellaneous housekeeping, or were they special bonds issued for those projects?"

I don't know. What's clear is that for whatever reason, the government failed to do it's job while taking a lot of money from people. Now they have more advice for everyone. But, it's OK they are here to help right?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, I think your issues go far beyond worrying about Model D Media and their newsletters.

But let's say that you're right, that Model D and POP City are simply the puppet mouthpiece for these quasi-governmental agencies that are apparently the "driver and controler (sic)" of the economy (the whole economy! imagine that) ... so what?

I'd encourage you to point to other articles that have appeared in Model D or Pop City that would illustrate this as an agenda, rather than one-time coverage of an issue.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, I mostly know about Pittsburgh and not Detroit.

Even a tiny, examination of Pittsburgh's history shows a lot of failed government projects proposed by pretty much the same crowd.

The Mellon Arena/ destruction of the lower Hill
Allegheny Center Mall
East Liberty Redevelopment in the 1960's
The construction of about a dozen government subsidized parking garages in the Downtown all of which were supposed to revive it.
All kinds of road projects all over the city

In the case of Pittsburgh, It was the government that played the major role in removing people who lived near the downtown ussually by eminent domain.

What's important is for people to look at this stuff with some perspective and take the hard look at the record of the entities involved.It also might be good to look at the motives of these players.

I would imagine for instance that GM will be one of the lead players in Detroit's downtown. Needless to say that they may have an interest in saying that more highways and parking are needed.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would seem that this crowd has a very long lifespan, since it is responsible for so many failed(?) projects over such a long span of time.

And what in the world does this have to do with Model D or BID's?

You're a nutbag.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are quotes from the publisher of POP City. Who is also a big loft developer.

“If the URA goes away, we’re dead,” said Eve Picker, president of no wall productions, which develops loft apartments Downtown.

But developing Downtown housing is no goldmine, according to Picker. She said construction costs in Pittsburgh are the same as in Chicago, but landlords can command only one-third the rents. And because she hasn’t been able to secure enough private financing for some of her projects--commercial banks, Picker said, tend to under-appraise the value of the buildings--she’s has had to rely on loans from the URA to get adequate funding.

“We have so many older buildings here and it costs so much to renovate them, clean them up and get them ready for use, and when you’re talking about residential development, you’re talking about a mostly lower profit margin,” said Patty Burk, the program director for the Downtown Living Initiative, a foundation-funded organization charged with promoting Downtown housing."

So it looks like she might have a little agenda there in supporting the URA since she relies on it for all kinds of subsidies and building acquisitions.

It looks like a little conflict of interest to me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 512
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe that's why the smart kids in these towns run away from home?"

Heh, I like that one.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I say nutbag?

I meant nutsack.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Look at the bottom of the Model D site and you see a similar group of players.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/worldisflat48.aspx

Government agencies and quasi governmental agencies and their pals are the driver and controler of the economy. That's their world veiw.

I see MSHDA (a state housing agency), LISC (a private nonprofit) and MASCO (a private company) listed at the bottom of this page. MSHDA is the one government agency, although they're a State of Michigan housing agency, not particularly tied to city government. Model D is also a private company. Not that many of the articles are even about the government, let alone pro-government.

Kind of reminds me of our old forumer Brian and his hare-brained conspiracy theories. Except that Brian would have had the opposite of Nyburgher's theory regarding downtown housing, that these agencies were actually trying to get new residents to move in and take over the downtown, driving out businesses.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line is this is a magazine and it is meant to be be a positive view of the city vs. all the negative crap that tends to grab the headlines in much of the "traditional" media.

That was how it was to described to me by a member of the modelD group before issue one ever came out... and it has held true to that direction as best I can see since its inception.

The fact that the sponsors listed find that attractive is the same reason that sponsors of our church's local bulletin find it attractive. Those sponsors either find the message agrees with theirs or want to appeal to that audience or both.

Capitalism is a beautiful thing.

In regards to ModelD, I just wish that they would add more content similar to POPCity (Pittsburgh's).

If you want depressing news about Pittsburgh, I think its available in the Post-Gazette Nyburgher.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, as far as supporting a top-down government point of view, I note that Model D is generally supportive of efforts to transfer ownership of city-owned assets to public-private partnerships where it makes sense, such as the recent transfer of Eastern Market.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/int henews/emarket43.aspx
http://www.modeldmedia.com/int henews/penske.aspx

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As far as conspiracy theories go. This is kind of a good one since a lot of the entities list themselves right at the bottom of POP city's site
or in Ads.

Pittsburgh ( I guess that's the city government.)
Urban Redevelopment Authority ( quasi government entity that acts conduit for federal funds _
Port Authority
Allegheny County Redevelopment
National City ( Big connected bank )
Law Firm ( Do they deal with the city? )
University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center ( a non profit giant )
Pittsburgh Cultural Trust

Hey Sherlock! Guess what! Those are the folks that are paying sponsors of the website! Thats why they get their name across the bottom!

Issue Media Group started ModelD precisely as the antidote to media coverage like todays article in the Detroit News that opens with a completely inaccurate and completely unprofessional description of a section of MidTown as "sketchy".

Their goal is act a conduit for positive information, news and resources. Its their mission. This is pretty clear to anybody with anything that resembles critical reading skills.

As far as their using stories in mutliple cities, think of it like Reuters, AP or any other news wire service.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model D has a brother in Pittsburgh?

Well I've got an uncle in the furniture business.

Top that!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well I've got an uncle in the furniture business. Top that!

You want me to top your uncle?

What kind of sick, uncle-sex perversions reside within that supergay head of yours?

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were there. You heard about it.

I think half the restaurant heard about it.

(Message edited by supergay on March 21, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.