Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » St. Rita Church May Close « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Free Press 3/17/07 (OOOPS I just read the last thread from Lowell) Hold on....L.L. Brasier, David Ashenfelter, David Crumm, and Tina Lam. No Link.

3 Catholic Schools To Close This Year

Three Catholic schools in the metro area are to close at the end of the school year, and St. Rita Catholic Church on the city's east side could be shuttered.

Falling attendance is being blamed for th closing of the schools-Our Lady of Loretto in Redford Twp., St. Cyprian in Riverview, and St. Stanislaus Kosta in Wyandotte.

Meanwhile, The St. Rita Parish Council voted earlier this month to recommend closing the church, where week-end mass draws only about 100. The archdiocese hasn't made a decision yet on whether to follow through on closing it.

BUMMER. I have quite a few friends who went to Pershing High that went to St. Rita. I am sure that this will be a sad situation for them.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 17, 2007)

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that ST Rita's is closing. I worked there for a couple of years. It is a beautiful church.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live down the street from St. Rita... bring on the scappers

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Rita's fell victim to a pastor who recently was removed from the parish for "medical" reasons. Having friends who still attend Mass there there have been concerns from the parishoners, sadly they will be the ones who will suffer.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, suburban catholics don't send their kids to catholic schools anymore since the suburban school districts have good public schools. Inner-city catholics have also abandoned the inner-city catholic schools for the "no-tuition" charter schools. Hard to justify paying that expensive catholic school education when parents have good public school alternatives.

(Message edited by royce on March 24, 2007)

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That and the fact that the nuns who ran many of those schools did so for practically free, and there was no one to replace them when they aged.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Rita's was a school for the handicapped when I worked there (1983) They had the greatest staff in both the school and the church. The neighborhood was going downhill back then though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.