Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Woodbridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked Woodbridge up on Model media. It looks very nice. How renovated is it? Is it a ver safe neighborhood?

It sounds like there is a ton of great renovation going on and no shortage of great old houses to renovate. I never heard of Woodbridge before, but it sounds great.

Any good places to eat?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is a great neighborhood! Lots of houses renovated, being renovated, needing renovation, and never in disrepair. There is a beautiful diversity of race, class, age, etc. plus lots of kids. Our Woodbridge renovation project is:
http://www.detroitwoodbridgedu plex.blogspot.com/

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It really does look very nice. I never would have thought of that area being very nice. Wow was i wrong. It looks like a healthy mix of renovated old homes and some new construction. I have to make it over there next time in Detroit.

I don't know if this is true or not, but is this the heart of Detroit's gay community?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The heart? I dunno, but it certainly has more gay residents than many other parts of the city. It's a great neighborhood, plain and simple.
Mackcreative, how much are you up to now on the renovation project?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say Midtown and Woodbridge are the centers of the gay community of the city. But there is no really well concentrated gay area in Detroit, its a nice spread, we get to rub elbows with everyone.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Detroit should definately work on getting more gay people into the city. I don't know if the city is hostile towards gays or whatever, but they should work on attracting them back. I'm not gay but I'm seeing huge results from a fast growing gay community in Milwaukee.

Woodbridge sounds great though. Are there any good restaurants? How much does a house go for?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend has had 2 cars in 1 month stolen from Commonwealth and Willis. Time for some private security in Woodbridge

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bad is crime? Just property crime or is there a problem with violence?

I'm not scared or anything but I do want to know the information.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not to bad, it comes in spurts. I knew of one mugging, two armed robberies and numerous auto thefts in the 2 years I was there

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

theres really no retail in Woodbridge, most residents go to midtown for restaurants and bars

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, crime really does come in spurts, and seems to be from people passing through the neighborhood (i.e. opportunity) there were quite a few small incidents during the hottest days of summer--too hot to be inside, cause trouble outside instead. We have avoided auto theft/break-ins over the past 5 years by having a junky car with a good alarm and no fancy stereo and never leaving things visible in the car. Haven't been mugged since I can generally pass as a hobo.

There is a neighborhood listserv which alerts everyone to any incident, so for the most part everyone knows about every little incident.

No restaurants or retail to speak of yet, however great "arts incubator" 4731 Grand River and the buildings across the street house a lot of small gallery/studio spaces + my favorite retail Detroit Architectual Salvage Warehouse.

Rhymeswithrawk: our project's estimate was $120,000; we're still under budget and closing in on the work that needs to be done by contractors.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for the Woodbridge Summerfest, good times!

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rhymeswithrawk: our project's estimate was $120,000; we're still under budget and closing in on the work that needs to be done by contractors."

That sounds like some serious money. It also sounds like the people in Woodbridge are there to stay. I can't think of too many renovating neighborhoods with this kind of pulse dying.

Best of luck to Woodbridge and all the people working to make it a better place.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't think of too many renovating neighborhoods with this kind of pulse dying.

Hubbard Farms. And all of SW Detroit, for that matter. It's even more prideful than Woodbridge.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest is dying? I thought it was doing very well and becoming more multi-cultural.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I thought it was doing very well and becoming more multi-cultural."

There are plenty of slums that are quite multi-cultural. Multiculturalism in itself isn't some magic element that equals some economic boost.

Also, if anything, it's consolidating as rather unicultural, considering the influx in population is almost entirely Latino, thereby reinforcing the predominantly Latino population already in place there.

Southwest isn't dying, though. It's one of the few areas of the city with increasing population.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9295
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Mackcreative (or should it be a congratulations to your wife?) on the little one. :-)

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want in on this listserve please ... cjdb16 at yahoo.
I live in Woodbridge and love it, though I will say I hear a lot about how friendly the neighborhood is and I have lived here for two years and don't know anyone but the other people who live in my condo association...
My husband and I often wonder about that, what are we doing wrong?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Mackcreative on the new addition to your family. She looks like a quiet baby that likes to sleep a lot. When you get a chance, can you please shoot me an e-mail to 5column at gmail dot com?

Developer
Username: Developer

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out www.ResearchLofts.com

This is located one block north of Wayne States Football field on Trumbull Ave. Just on the North boundary of Woodbridge. Very safe, secure parking, over an acre of fenced in park like setting green space.

You will be pleasantly surprised.
313 872 LOFT.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest is dying? I thought it was doing very well and becoming more multi-cultural.

No, no, I meant SW is like Woodbridge - very much alive!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.