Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Warren & Conner « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone on the site know about the history of this shopping center. If so, could you please inform me on it?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah ... steer clear of it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I already know that, it's loiter central.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 50's it was just an overgrown empty lot. Every year a carnival would set up there for about a week. When they developed it the main store was Sam's, which later became Federal,s.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Forman Mills there now.

Urbanize

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that too Maxcarey.

Msybe I'm not being clear. I want to know the background of the shopping center, how the shopping environment has changed, and if you can, what retail tenants did they have.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it home to one of the original Kmart Stores at one time?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shopping center was developed on what was an empty field next to the Briggs manufacturing plant that Chrysler bought as part of their purchase of Briggs in December of 1953. in aerial photos from the 40's the field is empty. In a 1954 photo(the latest I have) the first store, a Kroger supermarket is in place and open and there are visible footings being poured for the sections of the center to the south of the Kroger. What is now the big and tall shop on the north end was built sometime later.

Conner E Warren ctr const.

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Husband and I and another couple spent many evenings at Francel's, a bar that was located in the shopping center. That would have been sometime during the early to mid 60's.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the early 80s I remember going to Kroger on the Conner side of the mall, Kingsway on the Warren side of the mall, Kinney shoes, S.S. Kresge's in between as well as the original Francel's. There was a Firestone on the other side of that intersection-it's a miniature mall now-it looks good but being a longtime resident of the outskirts of that area, I very seldom shop there. It may look good, but it doesn't have the same flair that it once did in the 80s and before. So 'loiter central' as urbanize would call it, steer clear of it to quote harpernottingham. If you don't go there much, don't go now. You really ain't missin' much.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren and Conner, before anything was there

W&C

The shopping center sign, with the projects across the street

W&C too

from WSU virtual Motor City

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend who worked at an A&P store that used to be there. He said he regularly found packages that had been opened, partially eaten, and then reclosed. I think I saw another post where they called that grazing. He also said that there were a few times when he found human poo in the aisles.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman, I love the pix. Hey Ordinary, I forgot about the A&P that was on Mack and Conner.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few shots as it looks today:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /171/428527254_e9fde0539d_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /168/428527269_78371aebdd_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /147/428527240_8f4b217f74_b.jp g

Urbanize

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would of been nicer if they'd showed the other end of the Plaza and the new extension they made.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Would of been nicer..."

Would of?

Urbanize

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could of. Thank you for correcting me Fury13.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think fury was leaning towards: "would've" or "would have".

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal's Department Store was there. Cupids Drive-In was on the other side of Conner at Warren.

Urbanize

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do want to bleed in this thread a bit. What about 7 Days? I'm aware they burned down and moved to their location on H-W and Kelly. Anyway, I remember that retro sign they had before they changed sometime around '01 or '02. Anyone have thh history behind it?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the first strip mall, that was born in the U.S.

Fury13

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think fury was leaning towards: "would've" or "would have".

Exactamundo. Would've, would have, could've, could have. You're trying to creating a past-tense contraction there (or maybe you're just trying to be irritating by employing incorrect usage).

It's NEVER "would of" or "could of" (unless you delight in sounding uneducated or "street"). Yeah, it sounds like "would of" (or "could of") when you verbalize it, but it's incorrect to write it that way. It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

Now, I'm sure that more folks will start doing it... just to piss me off.

Urbanize

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now, I'm sure that more folks will start doing it... just to piss me off."

You're right Fury. Not trying to be rude, but this is a public discussion site where that no one really pays attention to in terms of "head officials" on the internet, not the deemer of your life.

Also, it's not proper English to say "folks either. That is an improper country word for people, you know, like that word we call "aint'"

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We folks ain't sure you two would of hijacked this thread with you're discussion on English.

Fury13

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, Urbanize: "...unless you delight in sounding uneducated or 'street.'"

"Folks" is perfectly proper. "Peeps" isn't. Look it up.

There is no correlation between "folks" and "ain't."

It amazes me how many people ("people," not "ppl") think good spelling and halfway decent grammar are no longer important. That attitude is probably ("probably," not "prolly") a by-product of the casual writing style so prevalent on the Internet. There are misspelled signs in public view everywhere too; you never would have ("would have," not "would of") seen that 15 or 20 years ago. We're becoming a nation of dummies.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wha' happen to the thread? Skip it momentarily. Ok...Ok... we're talking Warren & Conner. A few miles away was Manz Field. Dimensions larger than Tiger Stadium. Under the lights. Any memories? I played ball there.

Fury13

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... hey, I remember the Big Bear supermarket on Warren near Conner. I had relatives on Gray St., just south of Warren.

I recall the Warren-Conner shopping center as very popular in the early to mid '60s. It drew people from far beyond that immediate neighborhood.

Urbanize

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Grosse Pointers and Morningsiders made a trip there too.

Urbanize

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.