Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » History of Buckingham Ave « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsideinvestor
Username: Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone shed some light (history, safety, etc) on Eastside Buckingham Ave?

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just walked down it everyday to attend Clark School.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between what and what?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

between Berkshire and Haverhill (or Devonshire if you're in Grosse Pointe) Eric. or if you like. between I-94 and Jefferson (or LSC if you like).

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was home of a Michigan National Guard rifle range in the teens/twenties:

Urbanize

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so much a home, but it was the main thoroughfare (and Balfour) for them to exit in and out the rifle range.

Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm re-habing a home in the 4000 block. Looking for some info on the neighborhood. They're some beautiful homes around there.

Mml665
Username: Mml665

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those old houses. I have done and still do a lot of work in Grosse Pointe Park and Farms area. Some of those homes have great plaster details.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1010 Buckingham was my favorite,the home of the late Judge Thomas J. Murphy, CJ of the Wayne County Circuit Court and his wonderful family, one of whom married my brother in '59. Lots of good family times and memories down there in GPP. Lovely street.

Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking of re-habing a home on Mapleview St. which is off of Gratiot and 7-mile. Any stories about that street. Another beautiful home. Shaky neighborhood?

Urbanize

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on which side of 7 Mile. The neighborhood is so-so, but one side is worser than the other (the southside of 7 Mile is the worst).

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside...I think you mean Mapleridge.

Urbanize

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually there is a MApleview street BuyAmerican between Eastwood and Lappin one block east of Schoenherr. On 7 Mile, its the street with a Coin Laundry, Beauty Salon, back of CVS, and Apartment building on it. I think I saw the house you were talking about Eastsideinvestor, and it is a nice home.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside: Are you rehabbing and selling, or renting. Have you completed other rehabs already? Just curious here - I'm sure we all love to hear of any rehabbing in the city.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had relatives on Buckingham but I need to look up the address. It was several blocks off of Mack on the D side. They moved there I guess right before the WW2 from Heidelberg Street. They moved out 92 or so because the house had been broken into about 5 times in one year.

Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm re-habing and renting. I have 2 going right now. I live in Florida but love the city. If you take a look around, there is a site dumpster in almost every neighborhood along with out of state investors like myself.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I'm curious...I haven't lived in Michigan in a long time. If someone breaks into your house, can you just shoot 'em?

They've got a bill on the governor's desk here in Texas that says if some one sets one foot in your house by force you can blast 'em. Not only will you not be prosecuted, but they'll probably throw you a party at the Astrodome with ZZ Top.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless Texas Eastsidedame, but I think that is a topic for another thread. Good info Mikem. I learned something new today.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4173
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good question...I do not know if you could shoot them in self-defense???

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, Bulletmagnet, is is really? I read Patrick's relatives got broken into 5 times.

When I read phrases like "shaky neighborhood" in a thread, I just wonder who the shaky one would be if they were facing the business end of a shotgun.

I just feel passionate about my beloved east side, born and raised there. WSU grad, too. Hate to see it anything but the great place to live as I knew it. Just wondered if any legal eagles were on board who knew the law, that's all.

BTW, God Bless You right back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.