Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 1960,s soul music/record shops/cd,s ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulalways
Username: Soulalways

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi everyone,
im an avid collector of 1960s detroit soul music.
used to collect vinyl but that world has now gone crazy price wise !
can anyone send me the web/email addresses of shops in the detroit area that sell music on cd from that era ?
i,m also interested in hearing from anyone who has cd,s for sale ?
also interested in memorabilia of anything to do with detroit soul music.

many thanks

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Tonya's Music on Gratiot and Harper sells soul music from that era or Shantinique Records down the street on Harper may have some also. PLus, you can check the chain stores, as they usually have some also.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you try asking this on Lowell's other site, soulful detroit? I'm sure you'll get better answers to this question over there.

http://www.soulfuldetroit.com/ forum/

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garage sale time is coming, get up early on Saturday mornings and hit the sales.

Royal Oak Farmers Market on Sundays usually has vinyl.

Soulalways

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi urbanize,ndavies(know the site well),& oldredfordette,
many thanks for the replys ,but there,s one problem.
im an Englishman living at home !
LOL!
thats why i would appreciate web addresses,email addys etc..
many thanks for the info though.
having been to the states 3 times now,i must check out my all time fave city on next visit,having been privileged enough to have met many great motown & detroit music folk who came over here on tour.

many thanks

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, hello Soulalways, welcome to the DetroitYes Forums.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'oh!

Soulalways

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi urbanize,
thanks for your warm welcome !

many thanks

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's really only two that I know of anymore that you can count on for substance.:

1. Street Corner Music-Southfield

2. Harmony House-Berkley

Oh, well.

Soulalways

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi ladyinabag,
i,ll check these out.

many thanks

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about People's @ Second/Forest in Midtown in the Forest Arms Apt bldg.
Closed Sun & Mon I think.
Lots of vinyl.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmony House in Berkley is no more. The chain gave up its last location, and it is now an FYE store.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Car city records on Harper north of Detroit(they may be closed)

2)P.J's records in Ann Arbor_ Packard and Hill.

3) Encore records in Ann Arbor Liberty and Thompson.

All three(if car city is still going) have extensive records cds etc of all kinds; encore is jam packed with great stuff.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im new to vynl collecting and have an interest in Fortune records. Albums cost anywhere from $40 to $40 to $90 seen some 45's $15 on up.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulalways-

If you look to your left you will see a phrase named "Soulful Detroit". This site is moderated by Ralph Terrana, the owner of the Terra Shirma Studio, and keyboard player with "Rare Earth". This site has music people and music collectors posting from all over the world. The fellow who owns this site owns that one as well. You will run into all kinds of people over there....from Joyce Vincent from Tony Orlando & Dawn to Bob Babbit from "The Funk Bros.". Give it a try.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 18, 2007)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulalways....
.....there's a gob of people on SD who are very familiar with the Northern Soul scene in England, and if asked would be more than happy to steer you to vinal shops on both this and your side of the pond. I'd be willing to bet they've got contact information, too.....

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work for the guy that owns Record Graveyard in Hamtramck. It's a pretty big vinyl only store. You can also hit the record conventions, my parents have been working the local shows for years now. There's usually a good variety of oldies and you'll meet a lot of knowledgable people.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car City is still open. St. Clair Shores, between 8 and 9 mile road on Harper.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, they specialize in jazz and classical though. My dad works there from time to time, I can't believe I forgot to mention it... D'oh!

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On gratiot approx 10 mile area.. i forgot the name of it but the front of store has big mural of motown stars on it. LOTS of vinyl and dvd's. rare stuff and lots of collectibles too !!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 805
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Record Collector on 9 Mile road in Ferndale.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People's is THE place to go for soul and R&B 45s in Detroit. Brad is not only a really cool guy, but he knows a ton about those genres. It's his thing. It's near Wayne State at 2nd and Forest.

Also, Soulalways, you might try a forum I started recently: http://detroitrecords.informe. com. It's still new and we don't have many members yet, but I'm hoping it will grow.

If you're really an R&B fan, J.J. Barnes is a security guard at my work. He sung on many labels and co-wrote (and sang) "Chains of Love," which was covered by Detroiters The Dirtbombs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.