Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit mall may get J.C. Penney « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit mall may get J.C. Penney
Store would anchor Shoppes at Gateway Park

By Sheena Harrison

6:00 am, March 18, 2007
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0318/SUB/703160310/-1/toc

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Schrott said Penney's plans to open a Detroit store bode well for the future of Gateway Park, which is planned to open in March 2009."

I haven't seen any progress on this land aside from the earth-moving. They must be waiting for the bridgework to continue. In any instance, this is good news! Now all they gotta do is keep away the Happy's Pizza and Family Dollar chains, and we're good to go.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE don't need a J.C. Penny's, we need a Value City or Sears. None the less, the idea of a major department store considering the city is great. That plan has been in the works for years.

Urbanize

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I haven't seen any progress on this land aside from the earth-moving. They must be waiting for the bridgework to continue. In any instance, this is good news! Now all they gotta do is keep away the Happy's Pizza and Family Dollar chains, and we're good to go"

You know some type of Beauty Supply or Dollar Store will be the first ones to move in.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8575
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE need any respectable retailer that will allow Detroiters to spend money in Detroit.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A JCPenney in that location would be great since the nearest two are in Oakland and Fairlane malls. The departure of JCPenney from Eastland and Northland has left a great void for north-end Detroiters. I just hopes it will happen because I will shop there.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess this is good news...I'm just surprised that any of these large department stores are still building...in recent years the trend has been away from these larger department stores and more towards smaller specialty stores...the days of stores such as Sears, JC Penny, Macy's, etc. are a phenomenon of the 1980s....

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCPenny just built (or is still building?) a new store in Green Oak Township (think Brighton) in the Green Oak Village Place. This store seems more like an anchor of a strip mall rather than a traditional mall anchor or big-box store.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC Penny has ben building smaller non-mall based stores the last few years. I think they are going for a format similiar to Kohl's. may be what they are proposing for this location. It may not be a typical large department store like they had at Northland or Eastland.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah that makes more sense...ty

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<i>WE don't need a J.C. Penny's, we need a Value City or Sears. None the less, the idea of a major department store considering the city is great. That plan has been in the works for years.<.i>

What we REALLY need are more reputable grocery store chains.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize wrote, "WE don't need a J.C. Penny's, we need a Value City or Sears."

It's amazing how some people always find something to bitch about when there's good news.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy with a J.C. Penny. I don't care for Sears and Value City is odd I never shop there. Its way better than nothing.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also happy with J.C. Penny, I rather have that than Value City and Sears, it is a pretty good location as well, it can serve Detroit residents as well the northern suburbs, such as Royal Oak and Ferndale and more.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, you mean the 1880s.

My theory as to why these stores aren't as popular as they used to be is because they're too big. We Americans don't have the energy (out of shape) or the patience to stay in a store with "departments" spread across three or four floors. Give Americans a shopping cart and one floor on ground-level and we are happy and content. Hell, when I do go to Penney's or Marshall Field's I go to the men's department and then I'm gone.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WE don't need a J.C. Penny's, we need a Value City or Sears."

I don't even understand this comment. How is JC Penney's drastically different from Sears? Their clothing retail is pretty similar. I guess Sears has additional non-clothing retail such as hardware if that's what you're getting at.

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dougw i don't understand that comment either. The Value City stores I've seen here in the South are rather trashy...probably good values but as an anchor to a shopping center or mall...Value City just isn't going to attract other businesses that build up around. Even a Wal Mart Super Center (I'll catch flack for that I'm sure) or a Meijers. Someone commented about a "reputable grocery store". I'll second that.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What we REALLY need are more reputable grocery store chains.

Stop robbing them blind and maybe they will stay.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize wrote, "WE don't need a J.C. Penny's, we need a Value City or Sears."

It's amazing how some people always find something to bitch about when there's good news

-Burnsie

Hey, Burnsie, as if we don't have enough
problems about Detroit not being what it used to be. A J.C. Penney might just be the thing TO help Detroit out. I would love to see Detroit back in the 'Top 10'-Detroit hasn't been in the top ten in the better part of over a decade-and to have a Penney's actually IN the city as opposed to outside would be the fist step in my opinion. And to the person who said we need a Sears in the city, there WERE some Sears stores in/around the city. Case in point:
Gratiot and Van Dyke (before my time)
Woodward and Sears (H.P.)
Plymouth and Burt Rd. (surplus store)
Mack and Moross (surplus store outside Mack-7-now Pointe Plaza in G.P.)

And the nearest Penney's to the city was Mack-7, Eastland, and Northland. They converted the Penney's at Eastland into a Sears in recent years.

And there was a Value City in the New Center Area. It was Crowley's until they 'folded' and became Value City. And it stayed there until DPS moved in.

And I agree with Dougw, I HAVEN'T THE SLIGHTEST IDEA what that comment was suppossed to mean about 'we don't need a J.C. Penney's.....' As far as I know, we NEVER had one to begin with as it was. And me personally, I'd like to see a Penney's in the city. Sure beats driving to Gratiot and 13, Fairlane Town Center, or Lakeside for that matter.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Penney's would be a nice addition, although a Sears with the tools and garden stuff would be great as well

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those who say "we don't need these stores... we NEED these ones" -- Detroit needs anything they can get. If J.C. Penny has done their homework and feel that location is the right spot then it probably is. With the current state of the economy in Detroit and Michigan we should feel grateful that any big stores are looking to move into the City anywhere outside of the Downtown and Midtown areas. Development is development, begger's can't be choosers. This is good news.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx, not to disappoint, as a boy I shopped at the JC Penney at Grand River and Greenfield. This is the store that was closed when the Northland Store opened. Jjabba can attest to the location. In fact, as a teen my mom worked in that store.

I'm impressed you remember the Sears surplus store at Plymouth and Evergreen! I can recall shopping there when it was a Federals, and located next to the Wrigleys, Sanders, Winklemans, Kressege's Kline's, Buster Brown's, Cunninghams...

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the Sears in Lincoln Park, a classic store...rest of the shopping center has seen better days but Sears has put alot of money in that store. i hope they don't decide to close it....there is a new Krogers across the street (Dix and Southfield) and a renovated Farmer Jacks right behind the Sears store...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus said "in recent years the trend has been away from these larger department stores and more towards smaller specialty stores...the days of stores such as Sears, JC Penny, Macy's, etc. are a phenomenon of the 1980s...."

Actually I read an article a very short time ago, within the past month, which said that in the last couple years the old-fashioned department stores have been making a comeback and that the specialty stores were having trouble.

In general I agree with the various posters who've said we can use any such kind of thing we can get.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it's good news. I'd rather see retail focused downtown; a mall on 8 mile is equally bad for downtown as a mall on 16 mile. Obviously, this will be new retail in the city limits so there is a tax-related benefit.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8578
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

guess it's good news. I'd rather see retail focused downtown; a mall on 8 mile is equally bad for downtown as a mall on 16 mile.

A JC Penney is not a destination type store and will serve Detroiters better where it is. There are hundreds of thousands of people in the city that need retail that do not live around or go to the CBD often.

This is good for Detroit and the Detroiters it will serve.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2577
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't go to this store much, but is this a bad spot considering it's focus clientele? I used to go to the one at Eastland with my mother and it was mostly middle-class white people. Now, if this gets people from Ferndale and Centerline and Southfield to spend money in Detroit, then it's a success. But can we be sure this takes off among Detroiters? Will the richer folk nearby in Palmer Woods go here, or head up to Oakland/Somerset for someplace classier like Nordstrom/Macy's? And is JC Penny's still just a bit pricy for more average Detroiters in other neighborhoods? I hate generalities as much as the next person, but they do matter when considering likely consumers.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news because a national company sees a future in Detroit by building a store there.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is right on! These are people who do their homework, and if they think it`s going to fly, just sit back and watch, just like the development downtown- with these price tags, they are not going to gamble.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And is JC Penny's still just a bit pricy for more average Detroiters in other neighborhoods?"

I think Detroiter's kept/keep the JC Penny in Fairlane in business...

Username: 1805

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Ikea already made its move to Canton.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there talk of Ikea opening another store somewhere in Michigan?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember hearing speculation that they may open one near Grand Rapids, but there was nothing to back it up.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop robbing them blind and maybe they will stay.

B'scuse me? What the hell you talkin' about?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably the fact that any store in detroit has to hire an army to protect its goods, put bulletproof gas at the cashier stations, barbed wire around the property, etc.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I PERSONALY WAS HOPING FOR A JC PENNEY AT THE MAMMOTH FLEE MARKET ON GRAND RIVER AN GREENFIELD,SINCE THAT AREA IS ONE OF THE 6 NEIGHTBORHOODS GETTING RE DEVELOPED.BUT IM GLAD FOR WHERE ITS GOING

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, I do stand corrected (lol), like I said, 'as far as I know' now I know (lmao). Question. Was the JC Penney on Greenfield and Gd. River the same store that eventually became Federal's and later Mammoth's? Or was it attached to Cunningham's, or was it attached to Meyer Jewelers? Just Curious.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm going to ask the question... why will this mall succeed, while the Belle Air Mall on 8 Mile between Van Dyke and Hoover appears to be failing?

If you draw a 5 mile circle around both malls, I doubt you will come up with much of a difference in population count.

Granted the disposable income around this mall will be higher, but is that enough to sustain it? As has already been stated will the upscale residents visit the Woodward Mall in favor of other more upscale ones?

Just wondering...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm scratching my head over this one myself.

Are people just north of 8 mile going to shop there when the Oakland Mall is just a short trip up John R or I-75? Over the past 20 years Universal Mall in Warren couldn't compete with the Oakland Mall, I don't see how a shopping center at 8 mile is going to do any better.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...good?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy to have the interest! But...I remember Penny's in Eastland. Didn't do very well at all. In general, I don't see Penny's doing well. But maybe that's my own bad impression. I think a sears or even target would do better.

RJK...I thought the same thing.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5624
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!

Detroit is getting J.C.Penney Department Store.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx, nope the store was not really located on the corner. It was on the NW quadrant of the intersection by the Crowley's and A & P (corner of Sussex?).

We all have different points of reference, thats what I find amazing about this forum. I can recall my first Urban Studies class at WSU and learning about the Grosse Pointe/Detroit border and all the mansions along Lakeshore. I literally thought the professor was pulling my leg until I went over there to drive around.

Like Jjabba I never went that far East.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to go back and check out the design, and I can see this working. I guess it would be a stretch to have other high-end stores there (I would absolutely love an Apple Store). This is probably the best chance to entice a Gameworks/D&B/Lucky's to the area. Oh how joyful we'd be!

Username: 1805

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice the design team, RLK Inc., specializes in upper-midwest sprawl projects.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC Penney, Value City, Target... all the same when it comes to clothing. Junk.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you 90%, Fury, but actually Penney's has upgraded its merchandise in the last year, there's really no quality difference between its stuff and Macy's. It's a lot better than Target etc.

Urbanize

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They made the project official. The work should be done by March 2009.

"I'm scratching my head over this one myself.

Are people just north of 8 mile going to shop there when the Oakland Mall is just a short trip up John R or I-75? Over the past 20 years Universal Mall in Warren couldn't compete with the Oakland Mall, I don't see how a shopping center at 8 mile is going to do any better."

Only way people will shop there is if they don't open your typical strip mall shops in the place. We need stores, at least Toys R Us level. Then again, Bel-Air proved that this project will be a total waste.

Urbanize

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I want to add, wouldn't this mall if it came to parr and got the expected customers and shops suck the life out of the Avenue of Fashions?

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be guilty of wearing "pink-tinged" glasses, but I hope this gamble works out for Penney's-- And the area, overall. Being across from "happening Ferndale" has to be a factor as well as these facts-- Posted in the Detroit News today: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/B IZ/703210

Urbanize

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad Link.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they were building it in the Old Tiger Stadium area

B24liberator

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops. Crap link, apparently. I was trying to link to the sidebar info containing the area's "facts". Oh well. It's in today's edition.

Urbanize

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not too hot of an area in my opinion. There's already many other shopping destinations in the surrounding areas already cannibalizing each other.

As I said before, they can't even advertise the malls that are already in the city like Bel-Air or Merchants. So what makes them think differently? Penny's can't hold up the shopping mall alone.

B24liberator

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx Urbanize. :-)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize - you may be surprised, Courtland Center in Burton, next to Flint, has been carried by JCPenney for years. (i used to work there) Other anchors - The Fair, Mervyn's, Woolco, Crowley's - have come and gone, often leaving the space vacant for years. Even old navy couldn't keep the store they originally had, and moved to a smaller space. I often found the other large anchors to be relatively devoid of customers compared to Penney's - Mervyn's felt like a ghost town much of the time. Meanwhile, Penney's has had surprisingly good sales/sq foot, and in the nineties expanded into two separate mall stores, and I've heard it may now move all that into an even larger space (the space vacated by Mervyn's, combined with some of the mall stores). The population and average household income are pretty close to those in the Detroit News - population is a bit higher, but median income is lower. (the source i found for that listed it as a 7-mile radius, not quite the same as the 8-minute drive used by the Detroit News, but I think a direct comparison would only make the Burton store look worse)

Of course, I'm not sure how the shopping options compare down there, but at a first glance, I think it would do fine.

the correct link for the News' article:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070321/BIZ/7 03210369

Urbanize

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, If that's the case, then why not jjust BUILD a JCPenny's instead of building a 40 store retail mall. That's like Jumping off of a cliff and hoping you'll live to tell it to me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.