Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pizzeria Venti @ Wayne State « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tabletop
Username: Tabletop

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pizzeria Venti @ Wayne State opened last week.

They did a great job on the buildout -- lots of seating, plus some couches and lounge chairs w/ plugs for laptops. Pizza by the slice (many kinds), stuffed pizza pies, pasta, soups, salads, desserts, coffee/espresso/etc. Menu is at the website: www.pizzeriaventi.com

It's @ 655 W Kirby; 313-831-2810 or Skype: pizzeriaventi. Mon-Thurs 10am-10pm, Fri-Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 11am-8pm.

(Message edited by tabletop on March 19, 2007)

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imported Italian water? There location in Grosse Pointe didn't last a year, hope this one works.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this is in one of the dorms off the Reuther Mall, I assume?

Hmmm a quality pizza place...that's one thing WSU has been missing...a sure marker of a real college.

I think that the university creating retail space on the first floor was a great idea, but the finished product is a little awkward, I have to say. UM has convenience stores in some of their dorms, but they are university-run, and are tucked within, not facing the street.

The retail facing Wayne Dr. in the other new dorms is really a great idea (btw, is the university still planning on following through on their master plan and narrowing AW Dr. while building an honors college across the street where the parking lots are??). The only downside is that it makes the campus a bit more self-enclosed...I'd rather see development indepedant of the university infrastructure, on the surrounding streets, to make a larger walkable area. On the whole, though, this is all good news.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM has convenience stores in some of their dorms, but they are university-run, and are tucked within, not facing the street.

Yeah, MSU had them, too. They were called Sparty's, I think. Way overpriced, but way convenient.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I miss the Blue Apple.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4246
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one in Grosse Pointe didn't have a great location. There pizza was great however and that's something WSU has been missing since Third Street closed. Venti could hire paraplegic Soviet-bloc bureaucrats and the service will be better than Third Street so that's a plus!

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to hijack this thread but I've tried Venti as well as the new place on 2nd Street near the old Laundromat: Piesanos or Piezanos [I'm unsure of the spelling].

Anyway, Piesanos is about one thousand times better and it is less expensive. Unfortunately, I live closer to Venti.

That said, I'm glad they both exist.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Spaceboy, We're all glad you exist too.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weeeeeee

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There location in Grosse Pointe didn't last a year

according to their website: "Grosse Pointe, MI **Relocating to Charleston, SC**"

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GP stores pizza sucked, thats why it closed. Even my dog would not eat the leftovers. Little Ceasars was gourmet by comparison.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the one in GP?

I never noticed one.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11422
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped in there last week after visiting a WSU advisor. Good stuff, not too expensive, great atmosphere! It's exactly what a college campus needs when they are trying to attract more students to live on campus. It's a lot like a coffee shop setting they way it resembles a lounge type place.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The one in Grosse Pointe didn't have a great location.

The neighborhood has supported a Little Caesar's just one block from there for approximately 30 years, and a variety of other sorts of restaurants/carryout shops within a half-mile in either direction on Mack.

I do wish them well in their campus location.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great buildout on this place. Very casual looking. Who was the construction company that built this? Do all Pizzeria Venti's look like this?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4248
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Venti isn't a cheap take-out place like Little Ceasers. It's more of eat-in/slice pizza place. It's Grosse Pointe location had zero foot traffic. Had it been in the Village it may have had a chance. Ok had it been in the Village five years ago. Ah Grosse Pointe...my poor hometown...all the bagel and bread shops in the world cannot hide that Talbots customers are old and/or dead.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd street saloon and good pizza are/were mutually exclusive terms in my book.

i will have to try this place, and the one on 2nd

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I gather that Venti in GP was on Mack on the northside? Not my old 'hood, and yes, no foot traffic there.

Jelk, the Village will rebound. Sad to say, but poor governance on the part of the City of GP caused the malaise in the Village which is now ending with movement at the Jacobson's site. Additionally, with more suburbanites taking themselves to downtown Detroit for nights out esp. for dining and entertainment, attention shifts away from a small, non-late night city center such as those in GP.

Good to hear, Supersport.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All across the Pointes, Talbot's customers were being rolled out of their homes like bags of day-old bread." I could be the next Eugenides!

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine- didn't 3rd Street Saloon close recently? This pizza place will be great, I remember last year moving my sister into South Hall seeing the "Coming Soon" signs and wondering when it would finally be done. This location sees so much foot traffic it is near impossible for this place to do poorly, after all pizza is every college student's favorite food.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyrprocess,

Are you calling the matrons of Grosse Pointe Old Bags?

The Venti on Mack in GPW applied for a beer/wine license and were turned down by the city fathers who stated that they would prefer to see the business there for a while before granting the license.

That rather bizarre logic, I would think, is partially why GPW now has an empty Pizza Venti store doing nothing.

I hope they get a license down in midtown...hard business to make a buck in.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GPW location did poorly due to bad customer service and ridiculous wait times.
That building is leased to Salvatore Scallopini.
Look for it to open late summer.
Oh and they have a liquor license !!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.