Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pointe Bar-B-Q « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am aware that it has been closed for a few years. Any history or pics on this restaurant establishment? Was the food good. What class did it mostly cater to?

For anyone who isn't aware of where this is located, it is on Warren between Mack and Cadieux, Next to a Burger King and across from a KFC.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it just closed in the last couple months after attempting new life over the last couple of years.

Urbanize

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, because looks like the owner is selling it again.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I saw them open was 3 or 4 weeks ago.
For sale sign showed up about 6 or 8 weeks ago.
I live a block away and drive on Warren every day, Taking notice of the old businesses leaving and the occasional new one opening like the new medical building in the old Foundry nightclub location.
The food was fantastic, although I hadn't been in in about a year. One of the "where is this" pic threads has an image of it from a distance ca. 1955. Catered to the then blue collar neighborhood and i am sure some Grosse Pointers too.
Sad to see it go. Wondering when Blue Pointe will follow.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Blue Pointe used to own Pointe BBQ as of a few years ago... I'll see if I can get the scoop. I was unaware it had closed... I had ribs from there at a reception I had two summers ago.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue Pointe is still owned by David Muir of Joe and Chuck Muir family isn't it?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUM-R. They had one of the best sauces in the city. The first time I went there was in 1963. I did not realize that they were in trouble. Isn't there one in Macomb county somewhere? I thought that there was.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that they pulled the chef out of retirement to go work at izzy's in SCS.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how to make a link but like Krawlspace said, a distance shot of Pointe BBQ can be seen in the Old Photo - Corner Of Neff and Warren E. thread.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, Ookpik!

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/92049.html

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This discussion seems so exclusively Eastside. Not one of the place names, businesses, streets, nor buildings is in any part of the whole life of jjaba, who was born and raised in Detroit, the same damn city. Man oh man, this is a big place, eh.

jjaba, proudly Westside.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3865
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, it's only about 5 blocks from where I grew up, and those ribs were to die for...

But to make you feel better, it was on Warren Ave., which Jjaba can relate to! :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt there one on 12 mile rd in Madison Heights?

There used to be a Pointe BBQ there, back in the 80's

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba-

You had The Rib House on Lodge and Livernois....and The Checker Bar-B-Q over on your side of town. The Rib House closed about 1965. Dr. Weisenthals' son Lee was the first person to take me to The Rib House.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All-

Tony Tocco was the original owner of The Pointe Bar-B-Q. There were two more opened if I recall; one on 12 Mile & 1-75 in Madison Heights, and one on Van Dyke in Sterling Heights. Then somewhere in the early nineties (?), Tony and his wife got a divorce. I think that she got the one in Madison Hgts, and the one in Sterling Hgts in the settlement. Both of those were closed in a short time and Tony kept the one on Warren. I believe the chef that Skipp is talking about that came out of retirement is Tony Tocco.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the guys I used to see at Pointe Bar-B-Q looks to be running a new rib place at Canal and Garfield or 18 Mile and Garfield.

Too bad about the E. Warren location; as mentioned before, East Warren used to have terrific restaurants for almost every taste.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how the Village Grill in GP is doing in regards to all this since Pointe BBQ, and Blue Pointe and Village Grill [were] under the same ownership the last time I worked in the area [Finney HS, Clark ES]. I never had the pleasure of eating there but I did have the pleasure of seeing the inside of Pointe BBQ in recent years and it looked like something you'd see in the Pointes (at one point in time that area WAS the Pointes-C.1830s if I'm not mistaken) and it was downright beautiful. My mother told me stories about both Pointe BBQ AND Blue Pointe and she recommended both restaurants to me. I gotta check out Blue Pointe while it's still open. When I worked at Finney, I went to village alot! It was there that I found out about Village Grill, Blue Pointe, and Pointe BBQ were under the same ownership.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blue Pointe is indeed owned by David Muer, whose brothers Anthony and Michael also used to have a hand in the business. Those Muer boys are cousins of Joe and Chuck Muer.

I worked at the Blue Pointe in the late '80s, and frankly, I think the place is in better shape now than it was then.

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I had dinner there last Friday night, I can most certainly say that it is not closed. Now granted it wasn't busy at all, though there seemed to be a good bit of take out business. The for sale sign has been on the building for a while now.. I would say damn near a year, but they still had an operating hours schedule on the door. The food is great, a definite must for any east-sider.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dmb, are you talking about Blue Pointe or Pointe Bar-B-Q?

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pointe BBQ

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx-

The Point Bar-B-Q as we know it today is a re-build. The original (in the same place) was a one aisle with the kitchen to the left as you walked in. I don't know when it was re-modeled but in 1967 it was this description.

Taj920-

What is the name of the place on Canal/ 18 Mi/ Garfield?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize here are a couple of quick pics:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup032607240.jpg?t=1175441608
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup032607241.jpg?t=1175441650

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on April 01, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ty Bulletmagnet. Nice pics, particularly the second one.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Urbanize, any time. - Bullet

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzys Restaurant on Harper near 8 Mile in St. Clair Shores is owned by Mr. Tocco, a former owner of the Pointe B-B-Q on Warren.
Huge portions, excellent food.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is the name of the place on Canal/ 18 Mi/ Garfield?"

18th Street Rib House - southwest corner of 18 mile and garfield. Just no the same as the original pointe bbq.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pointe BBQ was one of the three or four really good places we used to go on E. Warren when I was a kid in the 70's. They had great food and huge portions from what I remember. It must have been pretty inexpensive too since we wound up there so often. The other places on E. Warren that we went to were Dominics, The Sahara (I think that was the name) with great arab food, and that hall closer to Mack that had the Friday Fish Fry.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and that hall closer to Mack" that had the Friday Fish Fry"

The Gabriel Richard Knights of Columbus council was on E. Warren near the old Austin High School. Did they have a fish fry and is that the hall you are referring to ?

I need to get back to the Pointe soon. I love the vinegar cole slaw there in addition to the ribs. Their are not many places I have seen with the vinegar instead of the creme. I believe Happy Landings on Conner had the vinegar as well. Didn't Milroy's also have it ?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Sahara was on East Warren, but I forget what sidestreet. Maybe around Audubon. The guy who ran the place was named Say-EED. Nice guy. My father was Syrian, but my mom wasn't, and I gravitated to the cheeseburgers and such on the menu. I didn't want anything to do with raw kibbee. Yuck! : )

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sahara moved to Harper in the Shores; the original on Warren is now a Coney Island.

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the Pointe BBQ last night, Saturday, April 14, and it looked to be open for business, although not particularly busy. We had dinner there about 3 weeks ago and the ribs were as good as ever.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.