Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Belle Isle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bunkster
Username: Bunkster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved from D about 1 year ago but have spent nearly 33 of my 40 years there.

Did the Jerome Bettis project ever get off the ground at the old Uniroyal site. The last I saw they were starting to demo some buildings.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned developing Belle Isle. I know the citizens consider this somewhat untouchable but how about this. Get a large corp to develop an HQ on the Uniroyal site or on the island. The HQ would not take all the island and it could possibly secure funding for one of Detroit's "jewels for years to come. Should GM have pushed this?

Just random thoughts from an ex-eastsider. I used to take my little runabout up and down the St. Clair and River exploring the canals.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunkster, with so much empty land around Detroit, and even along the riverfront, there is no reason to even touch Belle Isle.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome Bettis's group still has development rights for the Uniroyal site. There has been ongoing legal issues involved in the environmental problems there. They've been trying to figure out who's going to pay for the cleanup of the soil. I believe they've finally fined the responsible parties. Work was reported to be starting in the near future.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you develop Central Park Bunkster?

Bunkster
Username: Bunkster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure, what is the current status of Central Park? Is it a faded jewel of a once great city? Or has somebody come up with a viable plan to maintain the park and make it a destination of choice for its citizens? Does it have multiple closed buildings that reek of a glorious past and are just begging to be revitalized?

Don't get me wrong, I love the place. I just have not seen the city take appropriate steps to preserve it in the manner it deserves. A small portion sold to preserve the remaining glory might be worth it.

I'll never forget going there to feed the deer and watch the freighters go by as my G-Ma talked about getting dressed up to travel there.

I believe my Dad also played a lot of baseball there when he went to St. Joes. I seem to remember something about a riot there back in the 40's?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.