Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Best Lumber Yard in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm constantly buying lumber and hardware for my massive home restoration project here in the city. I often find myself at the new Lowes in Allen Park because I can't stand Home Depot. Where is the best and cheapest place to buy lumber and hardware here in the city? I like Brooks on Trumbull, but their prices can be a little high on some things. Any ideas?

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stick with Lowe's. You're paying my wages. :-)

Just joshin'. We're the wal-mart of home improvement. Go somewhere else. lol.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that brooks is the place to go if you want the right type of lumber for a historic property.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lumber yard at I-75 and 7 mile, but I am not sure of the name or of the quality of their product and service...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old fave Banner Cashway @ Greenfield and 96 is going (or gone) out of business. Quel bummer.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about this place called National Lumber on Groesbeck and 10 Mile?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot the name, a place on 8 mile and Grand River. A smaller privately owned place where you can get some real service.

I pine for the place I used to work for growing up in Southfield, Frentz (one of the sons from the Royal Oak hardware store of the same name, but with lumber) at 10mile and Berg. Sadly, they are long gone.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H.A. Smith is at 8 mile and Grand river (on Grand River west of 8 mile)--great old-line yard. I've been buying there for decades.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & 75 is a True Value affiliate, I think...it's known as "Public Lumber". they carry many specialties i've been unable to find at the major chains. don't know about general pricing, but they have treated me well.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public Lumber is at I-75 and 7 Mile - good for wide range of exotic lumber, not so much for hardware. Trio Lumber on Van Born just east of Telegraph is very good for lumber and hardware, and a couple of the guys at the desk are very knowledgable and helpful.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have heard nothing but bad things about the service and selection of hardwoods at public, though i've never been there myself.

i have not been here either, but have heard good things, and its even closer to downtown...
Lumber & Millwork Co Downtown
3741 Saint Aubin St, Detroit, MI
(313) 832-0070

but for the best selection of hardwoods/exotics hands down, go to
3039 W Highland Rd
Highland, MI , 48357-4222
Phone: 248-887-1037

^^They are AWESOME, have better prices than anywhere else in SE michigan, and its a full millwork shop, they can finish boards, do glue ups, and custom cut mouldings and all sorts of other things. though they DO NOT carry any hardware, they deal in wood only.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 21, 2007)

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will second Armstrong Millwork in Highland. Hands down the best place, but a bit of a hike.

I've found Home Depot and Lowes special orders to be a bit better than anything local both price- and selection-wise when it comes to some historical details.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine. you have been ill informed. Public Lumber has a wonderful selection of hardwoods and
marine plywoods, and as far as service, they do exactly what most professional woodworkers like...
They leave them alone. This may discourage the
"week-end" warriors somewhat but what the heck.
Lumber Millworks on the other hand is way over priced on the dwindling stock that remains.
(It is for sale). And Armstrong (hardly Detroit) has always been 15%-20% higher on their materials with a low selction of in stock items.
Another very good place for plywood is Bond Plywood in Ferndale. Not exactly Detroit either
but it's only 9 mile.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally get my wood at the Bouzouki...

Seriously though, for east-siders, the Wood Shop on East Warren has a good selection of varying trim profiles and hard woods. Alas, they are not as cheap as the big-boxes, but they're a small business; what's a brother to do?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Same owner as Lumber and Millwork Co, good for some things, Brooks is good for others. Spend your money in your city when possible...
Of course, HD has "oops" paint at 5.00/gallon, and you can mix up some interesting colors with two gallons of oops paint.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public is okay and it's convenient.

Any large projects that aren't made of red oak, though, and you'll be hunting. Last time I was there, I couldn't get 35-40 bd. ft. of 8/4 mahogany, not the first time. Slim pickings on walnut, white oak, always.

I have not been impressed with Public's finishing, glue-ups, veneer services, etc. Very heavy handed and sloppy on the machines.

Public's prices are in line with Armstrong, and I've never had problems with selection, services, or machining at Armstrong, either.

But if you're looking for a lot of 2x4s go to Lowes or Home Depot if price is a consideration.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

long in the tooth, the advice i got was from someone i would hardly consider a weekend warrior. he has his own chain saw and resaws his own lumber from logs most of the time.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnson Lumber/Workbench in Charlotte is my favorite full-service lumber yard but obviously driving to the Lansing area is not always convenient.

They do deliver pretty cheaply (yes, to Detroit) and offer UPS and commercial freight shipping all over the country. Good discounts when buying >100 ft2.

I've found it to be worth the trip. http://www.theworkbench.com/

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do love chain saws.
Public has cleaned up their act though...literally.
Got rid of some people and hired some better ones
www.publiclumber.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.