Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fifth Third Bank to be in S. Villlage project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Fifth Third announcement was made and someone suggested that a branch would be in the S. Village project.

That turns out to be correct.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/B IZ/703210352

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me. Woodward is getting a lot of attention. Let's hope visitors don't stray off of our main road.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got to give props to Liebler...he talks the talk...we'll see if he walks the walk

"I first came to Detroit a year before the (1967) riots," Liebler said. "I saw a little bit of Detroit and all of sudden, it wasn't that anymore. I've been longing to help bring it back. If we can be a little part of that, man, that's great.""

btw, he also has a blog going...

http://www.thewhitneyrestaurant.blogspot.com/

(Message edited by thejesus on March 21, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5634
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY Gentrification of Midtown. It belongs to diverse group of people.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

count it....I called it

a total educated guess, where'es my jjaba prize

Emu_steve

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest,

Excellent scooping or guessing or whatever is the proper term.

You were 100% right on.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SKETCHY?

Even if that area was sketchy, which it's not, who uses a word like that in serious journalism?

This has been the News' go-to writer on Detroit development news, but he has appeared to know very few details about the city, and is not a good writer.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://thesouthend.typepad.com /tsenews/2007/03/wsu_breaks_gr ou.html#more

The South End also is covering this 'breaking story'. Well they'll 'break' ground in 2 hours.

Apbest

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

key contribution the south end article makes to the story? the university built garage on Forest between woodward and cass will have retail

"Ghareeb said that there will be two different retail areas in SUV. “There is the retail that’s going to be on Woodward that’s going to be funded also by the private developer, and then the university is putting some retail by the parking structure on Forest,” she said."

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the parking structure or in the first floor?

Apbest

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first floor...the next paragraph talks abotu how they're talking to some retailers for forest ave frontage

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

SKETCHY?

Even if that area was sketchy, which it's not, who uses a word like that in serious journalism?

This has been the News' go-to writer on Detroit development news, but he has appeared to know very few details about the city, and is not a good writer.

I noticed that too. I'm no longer surprised by the the lack quality writing or lack knowledge about city. In fact, seem requirement for getting hired these days.

Louis Aguilar has done this before you sometimes wonder how far he's ventured from the News building

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see the project moving forward. Got to keep closing those gaps on Woodward. No more gas stations. No more fast food restaurants with drive in windows.

A question. Who has ownership of the parcel at the SW corner of Mack and Woodward? Is there any scuttlebutt about development there? That corner is aching for a signature project to complement the Ellington and Orchestra Place. I fear a Walgreen's with a huge parking lot though.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that corner owned by the City of Detroit waterboard?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During my 1st NOEL NIGHT this past XMAS, my appreciation for Woodward grew to no end. The excitement in the streets was a stark contrast to mid 90's when male an female hookers flooded the streets. Me an my friends use to drive an watch the hookers flag us down. ASuch funny times

Apbest

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive always imagined that parcel as a large midrise buidling like the lofts on main in royal oak or something taller like make 20ish stories, sorta like what they're building on washington in Royal oak...I think those would be viable with transit on woodward /into midtown

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Male and female hookers flooded the streets in front of the DIA in the mid-90s?! Flooded any stretch of Woodward in the mid-90s?!

What are you, 19, weaned on fables your parents told?

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody attend the groundbreaking?

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the ground breaking. The tent was packed so we had to wait outside. (WSU student here)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't attend but I saw the tents they had set up. What was that all about? Did they have some sort of ceremony?

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, jut a traditional ground breaking ceremony, 12 guys in black suits and white hard hats plunging golden shovels into a sand box

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And pastries
+ Vernors in champagne flutes.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

SKETCHY?

Good topic for a letter writing campaign!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.