Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rock/Quicken to announce move downtown today, March 21? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to start the speculation train again...

Rock Financial and Quicken Loans are holding a mandatory employee meeting this afternoon at the Opera House.

Would be great, as I've speculated before, if they used the opportunity to announce a move to the Statler site.

I'm not downtown now so I can't see...anyone see any activity at the Statler site, like maybe they're going to unveil something? Maybe a tent for an afterglow party?

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give it up. More likely to be layoffs then anything else.

Quinn

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they wouldn't be holding a meeting to announce layoffs... they'd just start laying off.

Besides, I'm not sure the current market slump for companies that hold sub-prime mortgages really affects them that much. They are the originators of the loan...almost like a leads company for the banks...and there will never be a run-out of customers for them. I could be wrong.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another annual pep rally. The theme: "Hold the course!"

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

arent they leasing space in the compuware building before? they've got plenty of time

it would have leaked here before if that was the case

Quinn

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few differences though:

They have never used the Opera House before...either the Southfield AMC Theatre or the Fox for this meeting.

The Opera House is situated on a plot of land that mirrors the Statler site. Kinda a great opportunity to use that info as a segway to an announcement during the meeting (then again I'm a fan of theatrics and drama...rock management maybe not so much).

BTW this will be the last thread I create on this subject for a long time as, many of you know from my past posts, I can't stand the waiting around for an announcement. It's cruel punishment for us DetroitYessers.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame would have been gushing over this during the State of the City if they were ready to make the move....

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Opera House under construction until recently? My neighbor's son-in-law was working construction there the last year or two.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is still right now. The front facade is being madeover

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The office block portions of the Opera House were still under construction until recently. But the theatre space has been completed for a few years now.

They completed an intimate Chrysler Theatre for dance on the 5th or 6th floor (150 seats) on the Broadway side of the building just last year.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Quicken/Rock will be announcing a move into the still-vacant Opera House Retail Center!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8602
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Ikea is going to open a small satellite store at that location.

:-)

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they were moving out of Michigan...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just to start the speculation train again...

Rock Financial and Quicken Loans are holding a mandatory employee meeting this afternoon at the Opera House.

For what it's worth, sources in the Compuware building say that Quicken has Hard Rock Cafe booked for some kind of an event tomorrow.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got word from the bosses that Rock/ Quicken Loans WILL be making a move downtown. I'll be able to give more details in a little bit. 1

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8605
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it is because David Hall wants to be closer to Karras Bros.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great for downtown if it really is true, keep us updated.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortgageking, this better be for real. We've been riding this roller coaster for too long.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they already were moving downtown, into the vacant space inside compuware, yes?

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smells like a early April Fool's joke to me!!!

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can try and find out later if this is the truth, however like people have said, if it has not been leaked yet than it is probably not be true.

Quinn

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...just heard...not a word about moving at the meeting.

Sorry. That's it for me and posting speculative threads on Rock/Quicken move.

Frank, Rock always has department outings to bars and restaurants. I'm sure tomorrows just another outing.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a contact at Hard Rock? Lets see if there is a reservation for an event on Thur or Fri.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about just waiting, like normal people?

Eboyer

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The event at the Hard Rock would not be the appropriate venue for an announcement of this magnitude. Remember, Quicken Loans is a company of roughly 4000 team members. How many people can fit in the Hard Rock, 250 at best?

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, they are having their annual awards ceremony for employees. I think this is a lot of speculation based on nothing.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of the foreclosures and slow house sales why the hell would Rock relocate now. I work for a company that does lots of work for mortgage companies and I am laid off and my boss told me that a few of our clients have gone out of business. The housing industry is in the dumps here I dont think Rock has ANY plans of moving and building a new headquarters unless house buying increases.

Eboyer

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken does a significant majority of their business out of state, where the housing market is better. Rock Financial is a small part of a larger machine.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some on DY use Quicken and Rock interchangeably. Probably because they don't know better.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong LY, but isn't Rock a division of Quicken? I would doubt they have made a decision for a new headquarters at this moment due to the awful housing market. I would not be surprised if they extend their Livonia lease and ride out the market until the mortgage market gets better, then make a decision.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2890
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial is a part of Quicken Loans, yes. Check out Quicken Loans and Rock Financial and see.

Eboyer

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, the housing market is not that bad nationally. Like I said, Quicken Loans does a majority of their business nationwide, as opposed to their Rock division, which they have scaled back significantly in the recent months. Their finances are fine, probably growing, considering they hire about 200 new team members every month.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homes picture mixed after starts data
quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The pace of U.S. home construction rose a sharp 9 percent in February but permits for future building slid, according to data on Tuesday that shed little light on whether the housing market was stabilizing.

The cloudy home construction data and recent woes in the subprime mortgage market are sure to be on the minds of Federal Reserve members as they weigh monetary policy when they meet Tuesday and Wednesday.

quote:

"The gains in the South and West made up for the drops in the Northeast and Midwest," said Karl.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a frigging waste of bandwidth of a thread....

Criminy.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why post about it then...?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what was discussed, but you could really tell from the way all those people walking around downtown were dressed that Rock/Quicken is based in Livonia ...

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on March 22, 2007)

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know what you mean. When I visit Michigan I end up in Livonia every so often. They all wear slacks or jeans and shirts with collars. Socks and shoes too. What a bunch of freaks!

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill-fitting suits on the guys with shirts in jewel tones and bad crepe-soled shoes.

Bad dresses and too-high heels on pumps for girls.

Bad hair throughout.

Too many fake tans.

It looked like kids dressing up for homecoming.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha! Yeah, I know...we're so fashion-retarded in Livonia! This button-down shirt and these black wool pants are SO suburban.

I should be more edgy and shop downtown...what?

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken, hipster. I wish I couldve seen the show! Sounds like it was entertaining

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I watched the parade of Rock Headset Phone Dorks too. 60% seemed to be smokers and none of them even turned to look when I went outside and sang that godawful "800-333 RoOOOOCK!" song to them. They must be used to hearing it.

I wanted to give a special gold star to the one's holding their Emmy-esque award.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...also Livonia spelled backwards would almost read as "Analville".

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Enduro un-scrambled is:

rude, no?

(Message edited by thnk2mch on March 23, 2007)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously some people don't know we are at war with Livonia.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.