Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Junction and McGregor Streets « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the northeast corner of these streets is a sprawling brick factory building - presently dreadfully maintained as 'Classic Car Self Storage'. Does anyone know the original story of this building?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My initial guess was this was part of Cadillac that wasn't demoed as the rest were. That building was right next to the West Detroit railroad tower along the track at that diamond intersection--once the busiest interlocking switcher in the entire state.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3209
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What little we have from page 18 of the Old Car Factory thread:
quote:

Other important Fisher Division acquisitions of the 1920’s included the Ternstedt Mfg. Co., which soon produced all of Fisher’s hardware and trim; the England Mfg. Co. of Detroit; International Metal Stamping Co., and Shepard Art Metal Co.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've wondered what this building at the northeast corner of Junction & McGregor was originally. My 1935 directory has a GM advertisement listing all of their plants in Michigan including:

Ternstedt Manufacturing Division
Factory and General Offices, 6307 W Fort St
Shepard Art and Metal Division, 4796 McGregor

In another entry in the same directory, it is listed as Ternstedt Mfg Co, Plant 16 (i.e., Fisher Body #16?).

AIW responded with a couple of Sanborn maps, one of them listing the property as Fisher Body Corp.

Shepard Art Metal

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.