Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » M'Dears closes. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who had been to M'Dears in Grosse Pointe Park, it has closed. It's been awhile since we've been there...now that our son has arrived, we don't get out much for dinner.
It was a great place....the food was excellent and the family who owned it made you feel like part of the family.
What a shame.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's bad news. I really like that strip of businesses, but it seems that nothing lasts there. If you get the chance support the smoothie shope next door. Atom's Smoothies. The black panther is ridiculously good, and they have wheatgrass, plantain chips, and other organic goods. Check it out.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read somewhere that the national average life cycle of a restaurant is three years.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real shame. M'Dears added some diversity of cuisine to the slim pickins on the east side. That location is a difficult one though. Traffic counts are very low so a restaurant owner needs to rely almost exclusively on the neighborhood and creating a solid group of regulars. And, while the food was always good, the place itself was kind of a dump. Also, it was cursed by its tinted and reflective windows. You could never see any lights or activity inside. The place always looked closed. That's not good for business. The owners seemed nice. I hope they do well in their next effort.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree.
The food there was bland and in small portions. It was served so plainly as well. The last time I was there who I believe was the daughter was pretty apathetic when serving us. Though I know the dad was a good guy.

I've seen a ton of restaurants go through that spot and of the three times I eat there both me and my companions thought their food was mediocre at best.

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the food was very bland and the service OK, but not outstanding. When we asked for hot sauce to spice it up all they had to offer was standard tabasco sauce that you can get at any restaurant. I think they were about as bad as Fishbones.

Gcalan
Username: Gcalan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

over the past several years, i've made no less than 4 attempts to go to M'Dears and they were closed every time. These were always times when the restaurant was supposed to be opened.

I guess I'm not surprised they didn't make it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.