Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sorry about this.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

99gprix
Username: 99gprix

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall a website that had old satellite images, from the 40's 50's etc. and can't remember the name of. I looked around the forum for a while, and can't remember the title of the thread it was in, or the website. Sorry, Im a noob. I don't mean to be :-)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There weren't any satellites until the first in 1957, and none that took photos until years later, so you're not going to find any such thing.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tools.comm.wayne.edu/me dia/low_res/aerial_photos/inde x.htm

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread a while back about old aerial photos that were taken by plane or balloon.

99gprix

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esp!!! You Roole!!! Thank you. Im gonna book mark it now. :-)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dept. of Agriculture (or its predecessor)took aerial photos of every acre of agricultural land in the U.S every 2 years starting in the mid-'30's Those photos are archived at the Library of Congress in Washington and are for sale at a reasonable price. I have used this source to obtain photos taken in TX from '38 to'42 showing that the course of a river had changed significantly during that period, w/ very significant legal consequences.

The photos were of very high quality and showed all surface features including wagon tracks etc.

I'll bet they have many photos of then-suburban Detroit.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this site might be useful to you also: http://detroit1976.naviciti.co m/

99gprix

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, thats a really cool site. Really shows how downtown shrank through the century. Incredible!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Esp. It's in my favs now. And you too, Rsa.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity, are Dept. Agriculture photos searchable online? I'm not having any luck on Library of Congress site?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.