Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Road Construction Near the Fox « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been going on for weeks. Now they have extended the barrels and arrows pass Woodward and Adams. What's all the road work for? This patch of Woodward wasn't repaved for the Super Bowl? Also, how does a forum full of folks who are downtown constantly, not mention this before? I looked for a thread on this topic but didn't see one. Did I miss it?

(Message edited by royce on March 24, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assuming they are putting a scape median in the center (like they did Gratiot)

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 24, 2007)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, how does a forum full of folks who are downtown constantly, not mention this before?"

Because it's road construction. Can you give us a full update on road construction in your neighborhood?

Pics please.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, your starting to sound like Danny...

Urbanize

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize, your starting to sound like Danny..."

??????

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this involves a $3 million bit of roadwork on the Woodward bridge of I-75. They are also working on some pipes, I thought, which is why the project has moved beyond the bridge.

Forumers don't talk about this, because we know to avoid it.

Gistok

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... change it again, your still missing a verb... :-) Danny often omits verbs in his posts...

Urbanize

Post Number: 356
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I assuming they are putting a scape median in the center (like they did on Gratiot)"

Is that better Gistok?

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are just replacing the Woodward bridge over I-75. That section of I-75 will be closed this weekend

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh the people from the suburbs will have trouble navigating through there on opening day...somebody better hurry up.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, I caught on one of the news reports that the bridge is going to be replaced. It's kind of a major project to have been so hush-hush about all this time. By "replacing", I'm assuming that means tearing down the current one and building an all new structure.

The wishful thinker in me dreams of a widened bridge that sorta caps the freeway in that area kinda like the caps on 696, but only smaller. It would reduce some noise for the housing going up adjacent AND would provide a nice seamless connection btw downtown and Midtown.

Saabdriver1986
Username: Saabdriver1986

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about just A LITTLE ornamentation on it? The bridge acts as a gateway to downtown. It should visually announce "you have arrived to downtown Detroit". I'm thinking large lampposts, decorative concrete, nice metal work. ANYTHING besides chain link fence

Urbanize

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how it should be at all the entrances. We have them for Midtown and the New Center though.

Gistok

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Chicago, the Lake Shore Dr. Bridge (47th St. & Lakeshore Dr.) has some really outstanding Art Deco fixtures and cast concrete embellishments (built 1937).

Wouldn't it be nice to have 4 nice Pylons at the 4 corners of the Woodward Ave. Bridge with some really nice relief cast into the cement, and perhaps fancy metalwork lamps or sculptures on top?

And on a previous note... I "AM" assuming... :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on March 24, 2007)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I actually found out about this because I read a local paper. Which is where I get my news about local road construction.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The bridge acts as a gateway to downtown. It should visually announce 'you have arrived to downtown Detroit'. I'm thinking large lampposts, decorative concrete, nice metal work. ANYTHING besides chain link fence"

How about another I-94 and Telegraph bridge? Will that announce the entrance into the CBD, Saabdriver1986?

Urbanize

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How about another I-94 and Telegraph bridge? Will that announce the entrance into the CBD, Saabdriver1986?"

That's like asking will the announced entrance for the Highland Park border read "Welcome to Royal Oak"

Gistok

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever they do, it has to allow Thanksgiving Parade floats/balloons clearance (can't be any lower clearance than the People Mover track).

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was also thinking this about the Rouge River Bridge. That bridge has a great view of downtown; why not make it a great view itself?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are only rebuilding the bridge, not making any enhancements to it. This is according to the MDOT website.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, this IS MDOT afterall we're lucky we're even getting a bridge out of it! Hey, at least they didn't let it get as bad as the north/south bridges over I-94 (Cass, John R, Beaubien). Those are about to collapse any day now. And why they haven't yet is beyond me.

Gistok

Post Number: 3899
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably likely that those bridges were going to be fixed with the widening of I-94 to 4 lanes from Conner to I-96, which I guess is on hold. But you're right, they do need replacement.

Urbanize

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they ever do the Collapsing I-96 to I-94 eastbound overpass yet? That one was bound to collapse any day (bumpity bump, crumble crumble, crackity crack, humpity hump) as the cars went through the overpass.

Urbanize

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to actually slow your speed to 20-25 to swerve to miss the deep potholes.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8638
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the rule regarding when they can do work? I thought the city limited construction times (no learning than 7AM- no later than?). I just got in from a bike ride and they were doing work out there and it was relatively load from the heavy equipment beeping?

Are they allowed to work at these hours. I would hate to live near there and have to get up early.

Gistok

Post Number: 3902
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, yes they redid that bridge last year... it was a disaster...

Jt1, I believe (from personal experience) that the lane or freeway closure times for bridge work had been 8PM to 5AM. However this is not the case for freeway surface rebuilding (such as the Lodge).

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a road project there too. About a 1/4 mile of milling, repairs and resurfacing, from Adams to Sibley.

And they're not replacing the entire bridge...just the deck with some substructure work to increase the underclearance for I-75. Unfortunately, the fencing does stay.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, what ever any of you do this weekend and definitely during the Tigers' opening day, don't head southbound on Woodward starting near Temple to Adams. Road work was in full force this evening.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 924
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with those who say the Woodward/Fisher Freeway bridge is a gateway and could use enhancement. The Ford Freeway/Telegraph "football bridge" is ridiculous, but this portion of Woodward is begging for a far more practical solution.

As a man on the street, my mind holds impressions of greater distance when contemplating a walk from Woodward at the Fox Theater to the north side of the Fisher Freeway. Downtown effectively and completely truncates on the south side of the Fisher. To stand on the sidewalk and look across the freeway bridge itself from one end to the other is to look the distance of half a block. It's noisy, windy, too hot, too cold, too bleak. It's half a block lost.

Detroit has no shortage of land, however. We will not be selling air rights over freeways in this town for quite a while. The present goal should be as simple as to encourage economic and physical growth by leveraging our assets. Urban pedestrianism is certainly a unique asset in Southeastern Michigan. Detroit's central business district can be delightfully walkable, and in lieu of proper transit, proportioned enhancements to the streetscape could make a noticeable difference.

Assuming redevelopment for the west side of Woodward north of 75, the need for a more pedestrian-friendly bridge is compounded. I anticipate that whatever is built at that corner will have to be either mammoth in physical scale or popularity to attract those on foot from farther downtown. Even then, nothing could practically serve the original need as well as a thorough rethinking of the bridge itself.

Woodward and the Fisher need a bridge far more practical than that at the Ford and Telegraph. The Downtown bridge seems to want ornamentation if only to encourage people to want to be on or near the structure to begin with. It wants to be better incorporated into the urban landscape, and would serve Detroit's rehabilitation by extending pedestrianism along Woodward into Midtown.

Lansing is broke, but the "football bridge" was partially funded with private money. If the State of Michigan didn't at least consider the possibility of a cosmetic alteration at Woodward, I would be disappointed; the need is evident.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately there is only so much "cosmetic alteration" that can be done when you're not replacing the entire bridge. The concrete will get a colored sealer, but that's about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.