Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Primetime Live Special early 90s : Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I brought this up before and no one seemed to remember it that well. I finally found a clip on You Tube with Bill Bonds reporting on this story. Does anyone have any more clips or remember this special?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zX4i8URloFs

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find! I would love to see the rest of it.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see the Primetime broadcast.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the entire Detroit segment. Its about 20 minutes long. I have no idea how to post to youtube.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 715
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it. What was he referring to, and what was the issue that was the Detroit issue being covered?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PrimeTime Live (ABC news magazine show)did a story on how poor the conditions were (economically, safety, abandonment, etc.) in Detroit and how the city had fallen so far into disrepair back in the early 90s.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

putting a video on you tube is simple just sign up and click the big UPLOAD button then select the file from where it is located on your computer. give it a shot im sure others on here would like to see it

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's assuming, Fareastsider, that he has it as a digital file on his computer. If he has it on VHS, it's a bit more work.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF that Prime Time piece is just another hit against the CoD, why give the world yet another reason to fear Detroit?
Sure, I would like to see it, not so sure potential investors should have easy access to it. (not to mention the copyright issues)
I have posted a few items on Google Video, but they are positive.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey rawk, totally off subject, but did you end up buying a house in Hubbard Farms?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You a SW'esterner, Johnlodge? Are you jallen, by chance?
Haven't made an offer on it yet. The kitchen on the house needs to be completely gutted and redone. I'm trying to find a contractor who will come in and give me an estimate, but none I've talked to will unless I own the property. I'm afraid to get in over my head on it. My Realtor, Lauren Bruyninga at O'Connor Realty (who I highly recommend) is going to see if a friend of hers who does such work will take a look.
I've also struck out on finding people in that part of HF who know the block and the neighbors. One of the houses next door is inhabited but had broken windows on the side in February when it was cold and snowy. Yes, it's Detroit, so I'm not expecting Edward Scissorhands landscaping, but it gave me pause.
Looking at two in Corktown on Wednesday as well as one near Woodmere Cemetery on the far Southwest side.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a SWer, but when you posted the thread about HF I went to check out their forums and thought it was really cool how the people who live there have a lot of pride and not much fear and get together as a community. So I also saw your posts there, and how you were thinking of buying there. If you moved in, that would be one more person trying to make it better. On the other hand, buying a home can in no way be a selfless endeavor. Hope you get something cool in a promising area.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 539
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inside of the house is nearly untouched since being built in 1906, so that's a plus. Not as ornate as others in the neighborhood (no stained glass windows and a Pewabic-less fireplace, for example), but the woodwork is gorgeous.
That said, the sense of community in HF is the single biggest draw to that home. That and the neighborhood's stability. While there are dozens and dozens of homes for sale in Boston-Edison, there aren't many for sale in HF (though HF is smaller). The proximity to Clark Park also is enticing.
Where do you live, J.L.?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought a sweet little bungalow in Ferndale. It has the biggest upstairs of any bungalow I looked at, and someone even installed a 1/2 bath up there, so I'm making it the master bedroom. The basement is also partially finished and has a bathroom in it as well, which is great since it will be my music area. Its my first home purchase so I'm very excited about it. Hopefully by the time I spruce up and am ready to sell this house, there will be a great place waiting for me in the D. I'm creeping closer and closer to it all the time. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.